“Great Hotel, Fantastic Food and Welcoming Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Skegness
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Fantastic Food and Welcoming Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend break in September. When we checked in the reception staff were very helpful and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. We had a nice room which was clean and comfortable. We ate in both restaurants during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed our meals and would recommend eating in either, the service was friendly and efficient and we could not fault the food, only that there was too much of it! Breakfast each morning was buffet service, with both a hot and cold buffet with a good selection of items. During our stay we found all the staff we came across to be friendly and welcoming. We had a wonderful weekend and will definately be going back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

I cannot tell you how upset I was when I opened the room door of my family room. Paying £86 per night meaning it was priced comparibly with the marriot and the Hilton . I broke my heart when I saw what my hard earned cash had bought me for my weekend away with my young son. Thinking spending this amount that I was staying at one of the better hotels i was not prepared for the Filth that I met from the secon i opened the door.
There was the remnants of other peoples food and drinks on the walls the door the carpet the skirting boards , the radiators. This was mixed in with a good smothering of dust and grime. The walls had smears and stains on them, some a bit suspect. The bathroom had a nice leak which ran through the bathroom like a little water feature, making the floor treacherous, so we covered it in towels to make it safe. The drawers in the room had splashed and spillall down the front and sides, again with so much dust stuck into the goo.
Surprisingly the bed with springs sticking out of it was actually clean. Thanks god!!!
Toilet was black down the bowl, the shower looked old and the grouting dirty and falling out, the ceiling was black with mould and was really upleasant when you had to go through the leak to wash.
There were other suspect stains on the wallpaper which looked like mould and probably could do with a good visit from the health inspectors.
This is an old hotel so the delapidated decor and old furniture was to be expected BUT this does not excuse dirt! , soap and water and a bit of elbow grease!!

Under the bed was an extension cable used to run the bed side lights and was actually positioned under the bed sheets, I only noticed this when I risked looking under the bed. FIRE RISK !
I wrote a list of the dirt and quietly handed it to reception thinking they would appreciate the feedback and get right to it...nope ... 24 hours later still leak, still dirty. checked out after 2 days of asking for a room move and they charged the full whack. Funnily enough no management or anyone with any authority to refund or discuss filthy sub standard rooms. I left a clean and pretty home and went for a weekend away in a hotel, next time i will pack my things and get in my own dust bin. Book at your peril . in the words of arnie 'i'll be back ' NOT IN MY LIFETIME

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank nichola123
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed for one night, and the hotel was perfectly nice. The room was small but clean and tastefully decorated, and we had a sea view. The staff were very helpful and friendly. There is plenty of parking and lovely gardens, and the hotel is just a short walk from the centre. The breakfast was lovely, especially the quality of the lincolnshire sausages. I would have liked some yoghurt or fresh fruit but they did have tinned grapefruit. There was nothing amazing about the hotel, but it was everything we wanted, and with the bar and choice of two restaurants (we didn't use, so I can't comment), I'm sure it is a better choice than many other hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
rotherham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

Hotel not adequate for small families. Our family room wasnt ready when we arrived, toilet seat and flush was broken. No plug sockets at all in childrens side of the room for a night light. Both lamps were not working, so only light working was the main light which meant when the children went to sleep we had to keep the bathroom door open to have some light. Bathroom can only be described as a small cupboard. Toilet/small basin (water overflows everytime) and small cubicile. We have 2 children aged 2 and 5 and found it impossible to get them washed as the bathroom is only big enough for 1 small adult! Wall paper hanging off the wall! Location of hotel is great and the grounds are lovely. Our parents in law had a lovely seaview double room and a bathroom which was bigger than our bedroom! The only trouble is, this is probably the best you'll get in Skegness

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RotherhamWalshie
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed at the hotel for one night with having the last room avaibale. Having never been to skegness I was quite surprised and enjoyed the hotel. The room could have done with a bit of tlc but it was clean and fine for the price. It has a great location and we ate in the indian restaurant which we found brilliant - the service was especially good in there but also throughout the rest of the hotel everyone was really helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

We were given a warm welcome at The Royal Hotel, a comfortable stay in friendly surroundings. The gardens were lovely and a safe place for children to play.
Positive: Location, Friendly helpful staff who ensure every guest is happy and looked after. Well stocked bar with reasonable prices and plenty of car parking.
The food was amazing, the breakfast is a full English Breakfast using great quality local produce. The chef even came out and told us that he sources all the ingredients locally.
One small criticism is that the portions are really large and came away after having put on a few pounds!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank pmoneypenny
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

This was a group booking of 4 rooms - in total this booking was worth approx £700 to the hotel. The standards of each of the rooms varied from abysmal to just satistfactory. The worst one was the double room that I stayed in. The room smelt so bad it was truly disgusting, the hotels answer to this was to spray half a can of air freshener and open the window! The room was dirty and really small. The en suite...ERM Cupboard! was well, small!

The receptionists attitude was disgraceful and couldn't have cared less, the manager could do with going on a customer service course.

I could go on...I'd like to know why this has got 3***'s

We will not be going ever again

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family