“Decent value for money BUT....”
Review of The Sun Hotel

The Sun Hotel
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Skegness
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Returned today from a 5 day holiday with National Holidays. Our room was newly decorated, clean and comfortable but the bathroom (a problem with lots of hotels) was very small. Food was good but a shame that a choice of 4 main courses offered 4 meat dishes. I'm not vegetarian but do have a problem with swallowing so most meat dishes are out for me. Fish wasn't served all week. However the tasty soups, vegetables and puds didn't leave me hungry. Staff were hard working and in the main polite. I never expect 5* accommodation for 2* prices so don't expect towels to be changed daily. I normally drape the towels over a chair to dry off for the next day but each day someone folded the sopping towels and carefully put them back on the towel rail where they would never dry in a month of Sundays!!! The hairdryer came in handy to dry them off.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

I am sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what you expected.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your lovely comments on our room, décor & cleanliness, also your comments on our filling evening meals.

Secondly I would like to address you comment about our choice for evening meals, We do try and keep the evening meals at a 4 choice options with the additional menu for vegetarians as we change the choices daily. As for your comment regarding the housekeeping I would like to apologise as this is not normal practise and the towels are meant to be changed daily.

Furthermore I would like to thank you for your comments as we do enjoy receiving them. I hope to see you return in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Just had 1 nights stay here at sun hotel. On arrival we was welcoming. Hotel is very clean and staff very friendly. Breakfast was lovely and service was excellent. We would definitely come back to this hotel again. Xx

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments, it is always a pleasure to receive them. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Hotel in the very near future. Kind regards Dean

Reviewed 31 May 2014

After I arrived I thought this to be more of a Guest House than a hotel and saw from the owners' explanation that the original properties that form the present building were converted specifically to cater for coach parties. To this end it seemed to me that all the space that was available has been used to accommodate as many guests as possible so that the dining room and my bedroom were both cramped and the lounge was similar when all my coach party was there. All were furnished adequately and inexpensively. My bed was comfortable, the room was cleaned and the towels changed daily, there was plenty of hot water, and the shower was excellent - but, as I asked the manager, why no tray in it to hold soap and shampoo? Other downsides were that the only chair in the room was broken and not replaced despite reporting it on my first day there, and I cut myself on a very sharp corner of the shelf over the wash basin. I reported this as well and was surprised that the manager did not want it entered in the Accident Book.
Menus were not supplied and meals had to be ordered in advance; they were hot, filling and nicely cooked, but plain, unimaginative, with little choice, powdered soup and, except for the potatoes, frozen vegetables. I was disappointed that there was no fruit, yoghurt, or fresh cheese, the latter option for dessert being two small pieces wrapped in plastic plus three biscuits.
The staff were friendly and hard working but there was no porterage for the disabled and the lift does not go to the third floor.
Overall the break with Caledonian was value for money but I felt that, when compared with other establishments, The Sun did things on the cheap and that there is definitely room for
improvement.
I have to rate this as Poor as there is not a Below Average rating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank j471m
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

I am sorry to hear that your experience at the Sun Hotel was not what you anticipated. We aim to provide excellent customer service at all times so I am grateful your feedback.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments on our cleanliness as we have been working hard to raise standards throughout the hotel.

Secondly I would like to address your comments about our evening meal, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your evening meals with us and can assure you that steps have been made to make changes to our menu and products used.
Porterage is available for disabled or anyone that does require assistance, as for the lift not going to the third floor, you are correct but I am not sure why this bothered you as you were on the second floor. As for the comment about the hotel being cramped a coach can only take 48 passengers and we sleep and seat 56 people comfortably and when you was staying with us there was only 48 guests leaving 8 guests spaces / seats spare!

Thirdly, your comment about us being value for money but doing things on the cheap, I think that this is unfair comment as this is a budget package holiday and you do have to remember that including in the price that you pay is your return journey from Scotland, 4 excursions and Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal and possibly you need to remember that the hotel does not receive the full amount of your holiday price.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend at the Sun Hotel Skegness we have done so at May bank holiday for the past 5 years so that tells you something. We were greeted at reception with a smile from Tina & Dean as always. We noticed the reception & lounge area had been beautifully decorated, the whole hotel is exceptionally clean , bedrooms were beautiful and well equipped, tv, tea coffee, hairdrier etc .The meals were very good and always piping hot, entertainment was good but it was a shame not many people stayed in to watch it, one thing I must mention to Tina & Dean ( we did miss Christine) Hopefully we will return again next year.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
sunhotelskegness, Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel, very good value for money. Hotel was very clean, lovely décor, staff very friendly and helpful and the food was fantastic with a very good choice of dishes at the evening meal:) Also a lovely bar area and great entertainment. I would recommend this hotel and we be staying there again very soon :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
sunhotelskegness, General Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned from a 5 day caledonian tour from the Sun Hotel Skegness,
The location is perfect, Rooms were exceptionally clean!
As for the service and food, well i think the hotel should be commended for the excellent choice that they provide and the quality of the food was great as the holiday itself was inexpensive. I have previously been to the sun hotel and return most years as i do like skegness and this is the hotel to be at for value for money. I did notice their was some new faces at the hotel but i don't think that this interrupted the regular practice of which i have previously known it to be.

But i think it is important to mention that their has been a lot of renovation work taking place since i last came as they have had a brand new bar & reception area and the whole ground floor has had new flooring this is great testament to the continued excellent service they are providing.

Well to sum up, one big thank you is in order!! and i will be back!

Many Thanks,
Eddie

Room Tip: Location is great!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Eddie S

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Just returned after a 5 day breah at this hotel After reading all the reviewsbefore I left I thought I would be giving this hotel a 5 star rating,Hpw wrong can one be!!!!!
(1) At breakfast you had a choice of a cereal OR repeat OR urange juice!
(2) In the bedroomk you were given ONE repeat ONE teabag per person per day (I did ask for a few more but was given the rubber ear) so finished up purchasing a small bag as I like a tea in morning and evening surely not too much to ask.
(Times of meals were a bit too early. If you were on a trip you did not arrive back at hotel until around 5.30 and it was a mad rush to make it for 6.00. If you did arrive a bit late you were not made very welcome. Also at breakfast at 8.30 you had to rush everythiny as the coach left around 9.30.)
(3) The food was very good but the service was very very poor and slow
(4) You had to make up your mind at breakfast what you wanted for your evening meal. Would it not be possible to leave the eveng menue onthe table to give you a chance to decide .Not a good arrangement
(4) The two stars I have given are for the room food and location.
(5) These are not just my feelings but comments made by previoue guests who said this hotel is going down hill fast!!!!

Room Tip: you get what you get. you can not pick and choose
1  Thank xorbi

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments on our food and location, as we always love receiving positive feedback.

Secondly I would like to address your comments about our quantity of tea and coffee, we have made recent alterations to increase the daily quantities that our provided. Also your comments that our dining room service is slow, we believe that 1 hour to service three course is an adequate time for a reasonable dining experience, as regard to the selection of breakfast and evening meal we do ask for a menu to be taken in advance to reduce wast, increase efficiency and create a good customer experience, but following feedback we have now had menus placed on tables for customer to select their choice before the staff take the orders.

I only wish that you could have spoken to me when you was staying with us to try and rectify this before the end of your holiday.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will consider returning to us.