“Comfortable hotel”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Eastbourne, England
“Comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed for one night at the Carlton Park Hotel, which I found via the internet. I arrived at 10pm, lots of parking still available, and the lady on reception was friendly and informative. The room was compact but cosy (much nicer than the stark minimalism of budget chains) and had tea/coffee making facilities, and iron and ironing board and a bathroom with bath. I had booked this hotel as it had a gym, jacuzzi, pool, however during the drive here my back had gone into spasm, meaning I was unable to take advantage (and though the jacuzzi would have been helpful, I'd also forgotten my bikini!). The room was very warm (which for me is better than cold) but it was possible to open the window and let in some fresh air. The bed was comfortable and in the morning I was able to take a hot bath to try to easy my back pain. Breakfast was good with lots of choice; there were just fried eggs available on the buffet so I asked for scrambled and one of the very helpful breakfast hostesses was most obliging, the eggs arriving nicely cooked in less than 10 minutes. Checkout was simple and I wild certainly stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: I was right at the end of a corridor in room 313, so virtually no passing traffic.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Jason G, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at the hotel. I'm delighted that you found the Carlton Park to be to your liking. We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Rotherham
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Had lunch on New Years Day and was impressed by the service and the meal.We had a 4 course meal and all the courses were well presented and enjoyable. Overall excellent value for money.The roast beef was delicious and enormous Yorkshire pudding with an excellent choice of vegetables. We all had Cheese Cake for dessert and it was also delicious.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Jason G, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Happy New Year! I'm delighted that you began 2014 with us and had such an enjoyable meal. We hope to see you this time next year, if not before.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A one night stay after a staff party was a great experience. It is very easy to find with great links to M1 5 minutes from J33. Hotel staff are friendly and helpful, and my room was excellent. The food and service were better than I normally expect from hotel staff at busy periods, again very cheerful and helpful. Only a very short stay but great value for money and I will be happy to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
What a glowing review! Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the discerning Trip Advisor community. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Derbyshire
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The hotel itself was lovely and our room was clean, warm, and comfortable. Decoration throughout was a bit old-fashioned but it was clean, warm and comfortable, unlike a lot these days where the rooms are on 'miser rate' heating. The room price was also reasonable and ample parking.The staff couldn't have done enough for us. Great service, good food, secure access to all floors. Great access to shopping parks and Sheffield amenities. The website adverts do not do them justice - we would certainly stay again when in/around the area or visiting Sheffield.

Room Tip: Access to the Hotel a bit difficult due to Rotherham one-way and signposting system, but once there...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason G, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Many thanks for your lovely comments following your stay at the hotel. The hotel is decorated traditionally rather than in the minimalist style of many chain hotels these days, which we like to think gives the hotel character. I agree that the one-way system can be a nightmare! The best thing to do is to come off the M1 at junction 33 and follow the signs for the hospital, thus avoiding the one-way nightmare! Please don't leave it too long before you visit us again.
Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was the first time my daughter had stayed in a hotel and she loved it, the staff couldn't have done enough for us. very clean hotel, great service, good breakfast secure access to all floors. Easy check in and check out. We stayed whilst the hotel held christmas parties but you could not here anything from our room.
We didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel we went to Meadow Hall, which was a big mistake this time of year. It took us an hour to travel 2 miles on the M1 and an hour back to the hotel afterward. This was the only down side to our trip so nothing to do with the hotel. I would definitely book with this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. Meadowhall unofficially changes its name to Meadow-hell on days like that! I'm delighted that your weekend with us made up for the difficult commute to the shopping centre and hope to see you again very soon.
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I currently stayed at the Carlton Park hotel on business. The hotel itself was lovely and my room was beautifully decorated and surprised me with a huge four poster bed! The wifi was not working on my first evening but this was quickly rectified and worked really well since.

The main issue I had with the hotel is the very poor customer service. At check-in, the receptionist did not tell me where my room was, when breakfast was or where I had to go for it. She literally gave me no information besides asking for a few signatures. In the morning when I eventually found where I had to go for breakfast, no one came over to help me so I sat waiting awkwardly for someone to assist me! I then went to order room service in the evening and had to call the reception 4 times before someone answered. They then put me through to the kitchen who also did not answer the phone. For a £3.50 surcharge, I did find this very frustrating!

Overall, the hotel was fine but I do feel that for £83 a night, the service definitely needs to improve!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Carlton Park Hotel. Rest assured that we do take customer service very seriously and your comments are of great concern to us; whilst being far from the norm. I cannot possibly make excuses for our failure to meet basic standards on check in and at breakfast and will investigate further to ensure that it does not happen again. I hope that your experience will not deter you from giving us another chance to demonstrate our usual high standard of service to you in the future.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Arrived for a night's stay following a showing of Mrs Brown's boys very helpful In booking us in meal was set to be served in one room at 7pm then another room then upon going to that room was told another room only to be sent back again as for the meal it was beautiful when we finally got it people (us) were still waiting for main when some people were getting deserts also waiting for all 40 people to be there leaving us waiting and hungry also reminded the general manager of his manors

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your recent review. Having taken the time to investigate your comments, it is possible that, given how busy we were on that evening, you were directed to the wrong room in error. I'm glad that you enjoyed the meal; however, sorry to hear of your wait for the food to be served. We do try to seat and serve large groups together which most people prefer but I'm unable to explain why some people were enjoying their dessert whilst others were yet to receive their main course. I must apologise if this was the case but stress that we didn't receive any complaints on the night. I hope that you will choose the Carlton Park Hotel again when next visiting the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#10 of 15 in Rotherham
Ibis Rotherham East
Ibis Rotherham East
#2 of 15 in Rotherham

Been to Carlton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!