“Just ok stay at the Holiday Inn Rotherham”

Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Northamptonshire
“Just ok stay at the Holiday Inn Rotherham”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed here previously so I new to ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as the main road is very noisy.
The rooms are bright and clean with comfortable beds.
The swimming pool was out of action during my stay.
The real let down was the food and service.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant and we found the food to be uninspiring and poor value for money.
The duck starter was particularly disappointing – hardly any meat or cucumber to fill the pancakes.
For some reason the bar staff could never remember 4 drinks, each time we received incorrect drinks?
Breakfast was ok – although the pre cooked sausages were un edible.
They need to address the food issue if they want to retain their repeat guests.

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel are fairly quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
RichardJTodd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I was delighted to read that you have stayed with us a on a number of occasions, we really appreciate you choosing to stay with us. As you say, as we are situated on a busy road there is always going to be an element of traffic noise and if you are a light sleeper then a room at the back of the hotel would be best. The bedrooms in the hotel were all recently refurbished and it is great to read that you found the rooms to be bright and the new beds to be comfortable. We are currently refurbishing the leisure club, so the swimming pool is closed at the moment, again once this is completed this area will also look and feel fantastic.
I was really disappointed to read your comments regarding the food quality and the service that you received in our restaurant, as you can read from previous reviews we pride ourselves upon great food and great service and I am really sorry that your experience was not to this standard. I will certainly be discussing your feedback with my chef and food and beverage manager and we will make sure that the team are aware of the standards required and that they are consistently delivered. Once again many thanks for your constructive comments which will only help us to continue to improve the hotel and services that we offer. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Richard Todd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked a room and was upgraded to a suite for just £14.00 per night. Stayed for 3 nights.
Reception staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Booked Breakfast and Evening meal in advance.
On the first night I was given a la carte. On the second night I was shown table d'hote menu which I should have had on the first night. However, staff acknowledged their mistake and I was not charged any extra for a la carte..
The breakfast is good, however, it is buffet style and the hot food is not replenished or monitored regularly. You have to ask for replenishment, it does come, but had to wait.
The only downside to breakfast is that you have to order poached or fried eggs through a waiter. What would expidite the service a little would be to be asked when you are waiting to be seated if you would like fried or poached eggs.

On the whole a very good stay and would definatley return.

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade, you never know what bargains are to be had. Also try and book in advance...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Graham R
Thank you for posting a review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and will stay with us again in the future. It was great to read that you found the Reception team to be friendly and knowledgeable and that you received good customer service throughout your stay. I was disappointed that your breakfast experience was not great, we have been working to improve this area and I certainly take your comments on board and will discuss with my Food & Beverage Manager to make sure that we focus on this area and make improvements going forward. Once again many thanks and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are visiting Rotherham.

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

we visited this location previously and again we were not disappointed ,food served was plentiful,on hot plates and well portioned on your plate and even better tasting on your palate,Beverage/real ale and wines a varied selection at affordable prices,service was excellent,plenty of car park,toilet facilities and TV viewing the world cup made it a memorable night,well worth a visit,rooms were very clean and a decent bed to sleep iN.

Room Tip: try to get the front rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caron R
RichardJTodd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it was great to read that this was not your first visit to the hotel and that this visit was as good as your last. I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed your stay and found the hotel & services to be excellent. I trust we will see you again soon, once again many thanks.

Cardiff
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Being clean and comfortable are two of the themes that run through my review's. There's nothing I like more than a comfortable nights sleep in a clean hotel room.
In my view, if a hotel room is clean, then it is a very good indication of high standards; our room was incredibly clean!
We stayed on the ground floor, no concerns, there was a function on also, no noise was heard from this at all, a bonus!
Breakfast was very good value £15 for 2 of us, although buffet style, the food was cooked well, fresh and most importantly hot!!! The coffee was excellent.
Great road links as just off the M1, some noise can be heard from the busy dual carriageway, but nothing that would spoil a sleep on a most comfortable bed!
All in all a very good hotel stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
RichardJTodd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it was fantastic to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean & comfortable, the team to be welcoming & friendly and your stay to be good value for money. I trust we will see you again the next time you are visiting the area and once again many thanks.

Bath UK
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very impressed with size of our room - very clean (although bath not cleaned on my 3rd day there!!) and the openness of the hotel. Efficient reception staff and lifts came quickly when called. First night restaurant food was lovely but slow in coming as not very busy but on last evening had lovely main course but oh dear oh dear - the sweet was anything but!!! Terrible. My partner chose Eton mess but all he got was a purchased meringue shell with 2 small dollops of cream and some very tart fruits of the forest - awful!! But I asked for the Banana Banoffee with ice cream and butterscotch sauce but what came was really quite the opposite. Firstly chocolate ice cream (chocolate with bannoffee - no way) and I really hate chocolate ice cream - sent it back. Quite a while later I was told they had no vanilla ice cream that I said was what I expected but no all they had was strawberry. Said that would be ok but then almost 10 minutes later I could not believe my eyes when they brought me a plate of bananas and strawberry ice cream - no sauce or anything else. I was getting very annoyed now!! Asked why there was no sauce and turns out they only had chocolate sauce so had not put any on as that was all they had and hoped to get away with it instead of the butterscotch which is what siold it to me in the first place. BUT THESE PUDDINGS WERE £5.50 EACH so not cheap. Really annoyed now and sent it back and just asked for bill. Not happy with way I was treated - so beware and ask if they have all ingredients stated on menu. The restaurant itself is very basic looking and not in keeping with how good rest of hotel is. Quite expensive too especially for burgers!! But saying that the breakfast was EXCELLENT with good choices and tasty. So would use again but it was part of a Leger holiday so no idea how much it would have cost for b and b.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front very noisy with road traffic as on a very busy main road and if wanted to open wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
RichardJTodd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay, it was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with the hotel and team. I apologise for the problems that you experienced in terms of your bathroom not being cleaned correctly and the desserts in the restaurant. I have spoken with my housekeeping team, chef and food & beverage manager to make sure we do not experience these problems again. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the shortfalls during your stay, as this will help us to improve the hotel and services that we offer. Once again many thanks and I hope that we will see you again the next time you are visiting the area.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A really enjoyable stay in a well managed hotel with great staff and a good restaurant, gym, pool.
We were visiting Wentworth Woodhouse and thought this would be a convenient stopover (a Sunday night), it turned out to be exceptionally good in both quality and value. Very enjoyable.

Room Tip: All seemed good, road noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be exceptional in both quality and value for money. We all really appreciate your feedback which helps us to continually improve the hotel and services that we offer. Once again many thanks and I trust we will see you again the next time you are in the area.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Visited for work purpose and found the hotel's staff exceptional. They were uber friendly, helpful and accommodating. Will definitely go back there again. The restaurant staff were also really fantastic particularly at breakfast time.

Stayed July 2014
RichardJTodd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you so much for posting such a great review, It is always fantastic to read comments such as yours regarding the team, I will be sure to share this with everyone who will all be delighted to hear they are doing a such a great job. Once again many thanks and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area.