“Poor”

Ranked #52 of 317 Restaurants in Rotherham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 March 2014

As we live near the Marquis we do visit quite often, but doubt very much we will be going again as the food is very much going downhill. Went out for a family tea. I do appreciate that the food is very reasonably priced with a lot of the meals being 2 for £10. I would therefore not expect it to be of Michelin star standard or anywhere near. However, do not tell me you serve hand battered cod and then give me a frozen grey/off white lump that was inedible. There were 4 of us and all our meals were cold. After leaving most of the food we were looking forward to the usually fantastic chocolate fudge cake, but on this visit it looked like it had just been thrown on the plate with no care at all. Yes they do offer a no quibble guarantee, but English people being English do not complain, perhaps through fear of our food been spit on (not that I am saying this would happen at the Marquis).

Overall a very poor experience and one that we will not be falling over ourselves to repeat.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Helenk64

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Marquis in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Fayre & Square

There are newer reviews for Marquis

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Just sat now afther thoroughly enjoying the BBQ spare ribs I a big eater and filled me up prompt service and friendly staff even though we changed tables three times john smiths was a fine pint defiantly use fare n square again

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Well I have read some of the comments on here so what a delightful surprise we had when we dropped in today. The place was lovely and welcoming,great proper pub food for a very reasonable price.the staff were very attentive especially the young lad called elliott . Nothing was to much trouble for him, I would highly recommend people to visit.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just got back from taking the grandchildren out for a meal at the Marquis which was very enjoyable. I appreciate that you can have a bad experience anywhere at any time but as some of the reviews of this place were quite poor I thought I would try to add a bit of balance. The food is typical pub fayre but well cooked very good value and more than adequate and we all enjoyed it. ALL the staff were polite, friendly and the service overall was excellent. We would have no hesitation in going back indeed we intend to do so.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear JimRotherham

Thank you for providing us with your review.

I can confirm that I have passed on your kind comments to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Marquis who would like to thank you for your positive feedback.

We hope to see you soon at the Marquis.

Kind regards,

Fayre & Square

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner came here on Saturday night, when we got there we found the main entrance shut so had to use the play entrance, bearing in mind it was freezing! We went to the bar to find a big que and a sign saying 30 minutes for food, this was because it was extremely busy and full of kids running in and out of the play area, I don't mind just didn't want them running into got food or tables. We got our drinks and tried to find a table, luckily we did without much hassle. Then when the bar had quitened down my partner ordered our food, which turned into a 45 minute wait, which was only 30 minutes in the end, we didn't mind, there wasn't a lot of staff on as I think they were helping in the kitchen! The steak I had was gorgeous I asked for well done although it was a little pink it didn't matter and I ate it all with hardly any fat on it! The chips were also gorgeous! And I'm very picky. Eventually as the night went on it for quiter and we then could relAx more, we then ordered a takeaway desert which came in about 15 minutes which was okay as we still had a drink, overall very nice clean warm pub and would visit here maybe at dinner time as I think it's very very popular at night time!