“Fascinating place”

Magna Science Adventure Centre
Ranked #10 of 40 things to do in Rotherham
More attraction details
Owner description: Open your mind and prepare yourself for a mind-blowing voyage of discovery...A hands-on, feet-in, full-on day out at Magna. Opportunities for adventure are endless. Built within the Former Templeborough Steelworks, inside you can explore the four pavilions themed around the elements Earth, Air, Fire and Water which are linked by suspended walkways, stairs and tunnels. Outside there is the outdoor adventure playground, Sci-Tek which will allow you to defy gravity and explore the limits of science or splash into Aqua-Tek, the outdoor water play areas where you can be sprayed, squirted, misted and drenched. Join us throughout the year for fantastic family science workshops, zip wire and a range of special events. PLEASE NOTE: Magna is a coats on experience due to the nature of the building and it dark in areas to encourage explorations and experience the feeling of the past during the days of Steel Production. See website for event schedule.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
mansfield
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fascinating place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My grand children and myself loved this place. It is based at the old steel works and part of the attraction shows what the steel works were like. There is also an electricity theme, water heat and also a good outdoor play area. Suitable for all age groups. The water theme gets busy so I suggest you go there first and take a towel. Admission price reasonable.

Visited March 2014

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Awesome bungee jump”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I went to Magna to do an indoor bungee jump which was a gift from some great friends when I left my job. The jump was done with the UK Bungee Club. I must say everyone from walking through the door was absolutely great, especially as they had their work cut out as I have a fear of heights. Great place and great staff. Definately a recommend, will go back and spend some more time in the centre

Cannock
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Impressive Venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to the Magna Science Adventure Centre with our 4 year old son - who loves interactive mechanical activities. The main area of the venue is a disused Steel works - complete with machines. Combined with atmospheric lighting and sounds this creates a really unique experience - however, it was initially a bit scary for our 4 year old.

There were a lot of engaging displays and activities, although some were not working. I would suggest that 6 - 10 year olds would get the most out of them.

Overall, worth a visit just for the unique venue - and a good way to spend half-a-day with the family.

Aberford, Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Epic adventure for everyone!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My kids 13,9 & 4 loved magna, we took grandma with us too. We were all instantly in awe of this massive building, a former steel works, it still has lots of the machinery still in place and information about its history , the ambient lighting makes it feel quite eerie, which only adds to the whole experience. You go through the 4 elements with lots of hands on exhibits including water guns, sand pits, rocks tunnels, magnets, wind, diggers, bridges, fire tornadoes and many more which of course the kids loved! Outside there is aquatek, which is a water park...so take your trunks!... and sci-tek, a huge playground to explore, with lots of picnic benches. Food is a bit expensive inside the museum so I'd advise to take your own, as it is situated in an industrial area there aren't really any shops or cafes near by either so a picnic is definitely a good idea. From 4 to 64 we all had a fabulous day!

1 Thank Carol P
Sheffield
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Aqua tek is good but not worth paying to see inside - most things don't work!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Myself & friend with our young children bought a voucher for both aqua tek & science adventure.
It was a lovely day so the children enjoyed playing on the large play area & in the water part.
My friend went last year & was under the impression you couldn't take sandwiches as last year there was a burger van - BIG MISTAKE. Everyone had sandwiches & the cafe outside only did ice creams etc. Inside wasn't much better, all kids meals come with jacket potato - they don't do chips. We ended up coming out of magna for lunch.
Upon return we went the the science adventure - which is not much adventure. Lots & lots of the items to play on just didn't work. Such a shame. Needs serious attention or with the reviews will be going down hill.
I wouldn't be happy paying full price to go here.
I would return to outside aqua tek again though - bringing sandwiches this time :)

2 Thank Dee069