“Give it a go”

Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Rotherham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is on my door step and its a fantastic stately home yes its a bit run down but you have to remember this house is still privately owned and its work in progress. Please if you get the chance take the tour the rough corners add to the atmosfear and its well worth reading up on the estate first. you will be surprised with the connections and why its in the state it is (many thanks to the labour party you will find) great day out

There are newer reviews for Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust

Reviewed 25 November 2013

so much history on our doorstep,a truely brilliant day out and a bonus if the house is open to the public.one not to miss.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Some people who write reviews are mean spirited, the tour is an honest account of a worthy attempt to bring this important house back to life, great tour in my view

1  Thank run-for-home
Reviewed 15 November 2013

staff rude house not ready for public in my oppion.not viable for dissabled .dirty carpets NO FURNITURE OR PAINTING TO SEE .dark unsafe corridor.would not reccomend ,my oppinion.

3  Thank Kathleen A
david a, Front Office Manager at Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Wentworth Woodhouse. I would be very interested in hearing your comments regarding my staff being rude? As to a lack of furniture and paintings, we do not advertise the house as being furnished, we find the majority of our visitors enjoy being able to see the space and architecture of the rooms, which if filled with fine furnishings visitors tend to miss.
David
House Guide

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Me and my daughter brought my Mum last weekend as a combined Christmas / Birthday present.

What a delight it was. We had a warm welcome at the door before the tour began – then we were weaved through a maze (an amazing maze) of rooms, corridors and staircases. My mind was blown at the splendour of this place, not to mention the Marble Saloon!!! It’s great to see Wentworth open and appreciate the unclutteredness of it all and to take in the architecture and stories.

Our guide Matthew was fantastic. his knowledge, passion and enthusiasm for the place had us more hooked than we were when we came. I could tell that for him it was a labour of love. One of my many questions afterwards was how he would describe this place, because we wouldn’t find the words to fit what we felt. I agree with Matthew’s answer when he said “… a truly self-defining masterpiece”.

The only downside was on the website it was not clear from the tours highlighted on the front page about pre-booking. Luckily for us, a tipoff from another visitor saved us the embarrassment of simply turning up on the day.

I wish the Newbould family every success, – my mum couldn’t have been happier for her visit – she tells everyone about it and wants to come back next year and see the gardens too!

1  Thank JemJem B