“Fantastic visit to Wentworth Woodhouse”

Wentworth Woodhouse
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Rotherham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Fantastic visit to Wentworth Woodhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having itched to get over the threshold of this unique house for quite some time, myself and my mum recently undertook a full tour of the house. After an initial setback when we walked down the drive to find the side gates locked which resulted in me having to jog back for the car (we weren't aware that you could park on the grass at the front!) this was soon forgotten about once we entered the house. Our guide, Lorna, really was brilliant and led us through the fascinating family history and the different stages of the house as it stands now. It is obvious throughout the house that money is being constantly poured back in by the Newbold family and we were impressed at the lengths they have gone to, including purchasing items removed from the house in the past and putting them back in their rightful locations. Our full tour took two hours and we loved every minute of it. Wentworth Woodhouse really is a unique place and with the careful restoration being carried out we know it will change and evolve for the better over the coming years. This is something we and many others are delighted and excited to see; we cannot wait to return.

Rotherham
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Beautiful Mansion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

So close to home, I'm privileged to be able to visit this house and its' grounds. I believe that soon the inside of the house will be open to the general public. As and when it is I would love to see inside this beautiful house and surrounding grounds.

Visited April 2014
Sheffield, UK
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fitzwilliam Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

As a teenager I was lucky to spend some time at Wentworth Woodhouse on City of Sheffield Youth Orchestra residential courses. It was always a really special place but then seemed to disappear off the radar. Having read 'Black Diamonds' I became aware that there were tours of the house and garden. What a splendid tour! Incredibly interesting (and sad - read its story) to see this beautiful house again and great to see that someone is starting to give it the love and attention it deserves. There's still a lot of work to be done but this in itself is fascinating. Our guide, Reg was very knowledgeable and kept us all entertained and well informed for 3 hours. The gardens were another treat, especially as there were some fabulous rhododendrons in full bloom. I can't wait to go again!

1 Thank RosalindSheffield_UK
uk
“Tour 25th May”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My daughter and I have been admiring this wonderful house from afar for many years and have always said "If we ever get the chance to see the inside we're going!" What a fabulous surprise for me to find that my daughter had purchased the tour for my birthday this year.
What a fantastic day we have had, Lorna our tour guide on the two hour tour was brilliant, she is so knowledgeable, we did not feel rushed like some tours can be and it was great to be able to wander round each room as she talked about each room's history.
The tour is an amazing opportunity to see some rooms in excellent decorative state, so many layers of this to peel away - but also see areas which have not been touched for many years and learn about the damage that water and subsidence have done to this house.
For anyone interested in the history of wentworth, the family and architecture this tour will not disappoint. Don't expect to see furniture, to be able to walsk into each room and imagine what it would be like when the house was lived in is part of the experience, had rooms been furnished, they would have roped off so visitors don't touch anything, as a lot of our historical houses are and this would have spoiled the experience.
I think the only thing that spoiled the tour was not being able to hear Lorna at times for a small child that had been brought on the tour. Not the child's fault, it's impossible to keep a child quiet for two hours, but for visitors who are hard of hearing it was difficult and Lorna did an excellent job in trying to ensure everyone heard what she was saying.
We will definitely be back again!
Many thanks to Lorna and the other lady guide who's name unfortunately we didn't get!
Mr Newbold and his family's dedication to this house is going to ensure it is preserved for many years to come and at last the public are allowed to see it.

Bradford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Memories of Lady Mabel College”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We visited recently with a group of friends and were entertained and informed by the redoubtable Robert. Despite the large group we all heard every word and enjoyed it immensely. It was particularly poignant for my wife who had attended Wentworth Woodhouse in the 1960s when it housed the Lady Mabel College of Physical Education, and I, at last, got to see "Whistlejacket", even if only a replica. We followed it with an excellent lunch at the nearby Rockingham Arms and a visit to the impressive Garden centre. A brilliant day out, hard to fault.

1 Thank Akili_UK