“Louth U3A Trip”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Louth U3A Trip”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife & I along with friends from the Louth U3A Group thoroughly enjoyed our day at Wentworth Woodhouse including the restuarant, & beatiful gardens. Our bearded Guide (Robert ?) was excellent, very knowledgable, humorous & a very nice gentleman who is a great asset to the estate. We have recommended a visit to all our friends who haven`t been.
Best wishes for the future. Ken & Jane Hickling.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A gem of a building”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having seen Dan Cruickshank's Wentworth programme in his Country House Revealed series I knew I had to book tickets to see this place as soon as I found tours were available.

We chose the longer Fitzwilliam tour but even at over two and half hours I'd happily have gone on to see even more rooms (perhaps after a tea break). This is a unique building, both in scale and design - but don't expect it to be like a visit to a stately home: after death duties and damage the interior is sparse - however even unfurnished the building itself stands as a towering monument to a bygone age.

Visited August 2014
Lincolnshire
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wentworth Woodhouse”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Recently visited and took the tour of the house and gardens which lasted almost 3 hours! Having read 'Black Diamonds' it was fantastic to see the house I had read all about. The guide (Robert) was excellent, very informative and humorous. The house still needs so much doing to bring it back to it's former glory but this adds to the interest. I can't wait to visit again in a few years and see the house as it comes back to life!

Visited July 2014
David A, Front Office Manager at Wentworth Woodhouse, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
as always Robert is a star! needs to be elevated to a national hero
Sheffield
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“What an amazing house”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I used to live close by and you were never allowed inside the house. Just recently it has been opened a few days a month and also has events. Three types of Tour, you really need the full one, took two and half hours but very good, so interesting. House has recently been on the Antiques Roadshow and been used for a few films. Tour guides were good. There is a lot of walking and steps so you need to be able to do this. Small tea room and lots to see in the village.

Visited July 2014
David A, Front Office Manager at Wentworth Woodhouse, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent tour of Wentworth Woodhouse. I presume you did the Fitzwilliam tour? which consists of about 23 rooms, 3 staircases, 2 corridors then explores part of the 57 acres of private gardens, and yes you are on your feet for well over two hours! just one point I would like to make thought, is that we are open usually around 4 or 5 days each week, either for group bookings or public tours, so if members of the public look at our website, it looks as thought we are not open, but actually those dates have been filled by group bookings. we do try to change the days each week to accommodate people who are limited to time or only certain days
Groveland, Florida, United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fantastic must see!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

On a visit home to Sheffield I went on a tour of Wentworth Woodhouse with my Mom, she had done the tour a few months previously and knew I would love it but she was also very happy to be going back a second time. The tour was fantastic and our tour guide Reg (my Mom had him on her first tour and said he was excellent) was brilliant and full of knowledge. A few things had changed in the house since my Moms first visit as they are renovating as and when they can afford it. After a fascinating tour with Reg we had a cup of tea and a bun in the little tea room they have there and Reg sat with us and told us a whole load more about the house and grounds, I could listen to that gut all day! The visit was finished with a stop in the gift shop to buy postcards books and DVDs, fantastic from start to finish.
My highest praise goes to the House and all the staff that work there it was the highlight of my visit home and next time I am back in England I will be going back for another look, I cant get enough of this place.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Nicola S
I suppose I should thank your mother for suggesting that you come and see us at Wentworth, and especially as she found the house interesting enough to visit twice in the space of a few months. I Will certainly pass on your comments to Reg who does do a wonderful job (although I don't tell him that! lol) please come and see us when you are next visiting your family