“A characterful and comfortable little hotel”
Review of Stonecroft Hotel

Stonecroft Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This is a real home from home with a warm welcome, comfortable accommodation and a fine breakfast. Our room which was in the main house had a very well-appointed bathroom .Other rooms are set in ther garden. Parking is available on site. Located very close to the M18 this is a convenient stopping place for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Room 3 is excellent
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Firstly I should apologise to John and Chris for not reviewing earlier.
I spent a good many weeks throughout Summer of 2011 to midway of 2012 here on business and all I can say is that I felt like part of the family from the first stay.
I first discovered the hotel whilst staying across the road at the Best Western Elton, which I was less than impressed with regarding the room.
On my next trip up I booked the Stonecroft, and it became the only choice after that.
Starting with the location, it's about 2 - 3 minutes (depending upon the traffic lights) off Jct 1 of the M18, an absolute doddle to get to.
The hotel itself is very aptly named. Although it's in the middle of a very busy village, almost suburb of Rotherham, it's a very old building that must've once been a farmhouse with heavy stone walls and about 1/2 acre of gardens/parking. Although it calls itself a hotel I'd be more inclined to categorise it as a large B&B. There's 3 rooms in the main house but there's another 7 or 8 out in the courtyard. I think I've pretty well stayed in all of the rooms, and each although differing in size have been immaculate.
All rooms have a trouser press - so what? you ladies might say but to a businessman this is a real bonus, and even if you're only staying with your fella on a leisure break you can pop his jeans into this whilst he's asleep so he looks like the dog's the next day. Much to his chagrin. The beds. Aaaaaah the beds. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. So clean too. It's like getting into your own bed every night.
The atmosphere is typically' olde worlde' relaxing more than forward looking. If you want tea in a china teapot with a china cup and saucer at breakfast it's there. If you want a mug of tea it's also there just ask.
Breakfasts - I've always gone for the full english but there's cereals, toast, marmalade, marmite, eggs and any combination of light breakfasts. All inclusive.The full English is not to little and not too much - sauces in the bottle so no generic little stainless steel bowls of 'Our Mums' value brown sauce you see in so many hotels.
Dinner is a limited menu, purely on the fact that it's not a high volume hotel and some guests eat out, however if you do eat there all the food is cooked by the owner and is always home made. There's always a vegetarian dish or two to cater for the non omnivores. I'd be happy to recommend.
As a final note this area still has a lot of industry, there's many people who come up for the week to work. There's an Ibis up the road that's a few quid cheaper but there's no mystery why they keep coming back to the Stonecroft . Because John and Chris make you feel at home even though your home is miles away.
BTW there's a gold disk in the bar.... there may be a connection to the owners of the hotel and a certain band from Sheffield. But that's up to you to find out......

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 2 and 3 in the house definitely the best, (2 & 3 have baths and are very roomy) but all...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2012

A friend booked this hotel as a wedding night present, and I don't think he could have chosen a better hotel. Our room was absolutely beautiful. I wish we could have stayed longer. The service was great and the breakfast was just right. I have no hesitation of recommending this beautiful little hotel to any one. Thank you so much for making our night so special.

Room Tip: we has room 7 and this room was perfect for a wedding night couple
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Stonecroft hotel in Bramley for 2 nights and it's a great little find. For years I've driven past that road junction and only noticed the Elton hotel opposite.

We've just been up in Yorkshire clearing my mother's house out as she's moving to a home and we needed somewhere to stay for 2 nights once the house was empty. Stonecroft came up with the best rate and so we stayed there. It's a quaint little place and there are touches of it that go back to the mid-20th century. The landlords rather surprised expression that 2 men had booked a room with a double bed is one of them. 21st-century folks! The room we were given was a garden room, and it wasn't huge, but having said that we had asked for it so that we could unload things from the car and store them in the room for 2 days. The other rooms in the main house I understand to be bigger, so I would certainly ask for one of those.

There's free Wi-Fi - always a bonus, although I have to say the service was intermittent, and the television reception in our room was absolutely terrible. The picture kept breaking up to the point of being unwatchable. I'm not sure whether this is the case in other rooms, but it might be worth checking.

You couldn't fault the hospitality provided at breakfast. A friendly welcome, great selection, fabulous cooked breakfast and first-class service and ultimately that's what makes any hotel worth returning to. Yes, there were a few marks on the bed covers, and had we taken the proverbial cat along we would have had problems giving it any exercise in our bedroom. The ensuite shower room was very cold and not a brilliant size for 2 six-foot guys. We didn't ask for anything to be changed while we were there as we were busy, rushing around, and all we wanted to do was crashing to bed at the end of the 2 days. I'm sure that judging by the level of service we received at breakfast, had we asked about anything, something would have been done.

The Stonecroft is a great little find and on future trips to Yorkshire one that I would certainly consider using.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house may be better than the garden rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Each year my partner and I attend my army reunion near Rotherham. We have no hesitation each year of booking into the Stonecroft. It has a wonderful family atmosphere and the owners are so friendly and helpful.The rooms are excellent quality and of a good size with en suite facilities,breakfast is great and offers a range to cover all tastes.If you are looking for accommodation in this area the owners, John and Christine Savage will make you very welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

A very nice and clean hotel. Perfect for business (every room has wifi, so you can work from the hotel). Love the coat of arms as you walk in....lots of character. The owners are very friendly and welcoming. Although the room is room only you can order a full english breakfast if you like. The room was very nice and clean and a good size (see photos). The bathroom area was spacious, with a corner bath and shower....very nice. Everywhere was very clean. Loved the bar area, very comfy leather sofas. I would prefer to stay in this type of hotel than a large chain!

Room Tip: Room 3 was very nice!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2007

I stayed at The stonecroft recently during a business trip around South Yorkshire. I was warmly welcomed and the property certainly has history and character.
An evening meal is not normally offered, but can be arranged if you want. Breakfast was very nice and well presented.
There are only seven rooms in this hotel, so it's a very different experience to a larger, corporate location. One benefit is that the hotel offers free wireless broadband in all rooms - something not even the big names all offer...
My room was comfortable and well equipped. My bathroom was large and spacious, but the spa bath did not work.
Next time I am in the area, I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Swindon Traveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherham
Rockingham Arms
#1 of 1 in Todwick
Mercure Sheffield Parkway
Mercure Sheffield Parkway
#2 of 15 in Rotherham

Been to Stonecroft Hotel? Share your experiences!