“If there is no alternative”
Review of Globe Hotel

Globe Hotel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
“If there is no alternative”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

On 2 occasions I have stayed in this hotel due to working in the area. I had to work in an office block out of hours so didn't get to the hotel until late.
The toilet/shower is a small plastic box, the door would not stay shut unless you locked it from the outside. Despite being advertised, I stayed in 2 different rooms, there was no hair dryer.
Light bulbs hade blown and not been replaced. One light in one room had 3 bulbs with 2 blown. I went to plug in the kettle and found the electrical socket broken. In one room, the curtains would not close. This window was opposite another room with the occupants keeping their light on all night. There was also a small roof between these rooms which was full of cigarette butts. Very noisy other occupants seemed to be having a party in the room above mine. All in all, not the best experience of this hotel. Remember, little things count.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Nigel T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Recently our staff stayed at globe hotel colchester. Staff are excellent, helpful, lovely facilities, very good reception. Excellent value for money. our staff will use this hotel when we visit colchester.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Tripoli, Libya
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Recently i stayed at Globe Hotel on 01/11/2012. The hotel is so nice and good excellent valu for the money, clean room and friendly staff who is ready to help you anytime. I had my dinner in restaurant in down the hotel which i enjoyed, the food is fantastic and lovely. Hope to go and stay for few nights in the new year. Excellent location

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank george k
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

What these people are doing trying to run a hotel is simply crazy
They have absolutley no idea of what they are doing , the place is grubby.
Unless you expect a "living above am Indian Restaurant" experience give this place a vert wide berth.
I walked in to the lobby and saw the owner screaming at a tradesman, who simply appeared to be asking to be paid.
I turned around and walked away, I suggest until this place has a complete new look , feel and smell it should bnot be classed as a Hotel

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Phillip G

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Me and my bf stayed here a few years ago, our room was beautiful comfortable and modern strange thing was a plastic mini bathroom like a caravan but was clean and hot powerful shower, only quarm I had was bed spread could have done with a wash and we had everything to make a hot drink with but a water jug and no kettle, Indian restraunt was good value beautiffully decorated and very tasty, staff we very welcoming would be a pleasure to stay again

• Stayed February 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I was on business in Essex on the 18/19 October 2012 and had the very good fortune to stay at the Globe Hotel/Star Anglia Hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful making you feel at home, when I was taken to my room it was 5 star standard, when arriving at the hotel I inadvertently entered the hotel through an Indian Restaurant so after depositing my bag in my room I ventured down for dinner, which is part of the hotel, it was around 8 pm. The meal I had was a Chicken Madras with a Peshwari Naan Bread. I must say that the accommodation, hospitality is first class and the meal took it a stage further if that is possible, I had the best Chicken Madras and Naan Bread (Peshwari) I have ever eaten and I have eaten a lot and stayed in fine accommodation all over the world in my time on this planet, this place is a diamond,and a must if you are passing through Colchester and need a nights stay, try it if you are passing through Colchester and I am sure you will be delighted as I was, they certainly exceeded my expectations. Brian Aged 56 from Nottingham.On the road for many years.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank brian c
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Staff (aside from one) seem like they're just playing at hotels. Unlike other reviews I found the room clean. The exposed copper piping and poorly laid floor tiles didn't really bother me, however the lack of explanation of facilities may have left many people wondering. Had to wait 15-20 mins for someone to turn up for checkout and another family checking in had waited longer than I.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 13, which was actually a family suite by the look of it, with a separate double, si...