“Last minute booking”

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Last minute booking”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Actually the room was really well decorated and perhaps better than average but for £75 we thought we were getting breakfast but that might have been my mistake. Easy walking distance to Colchester town center , well for us anyway. Staff were very good no problem there but we found the bin in our room hadnt been emptied and I couldnt get the shower gel to work in the shower!! 2 minor points really but worth noting in detail. Not the best but nowhere near the worst!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My colleague and I booked a twin room for £75 which we were told would be fine to accommodate two people. When we arrived after hours, I was greeted by the porter on duty who tried to explain that my friend had not made a booking. After spotting his name on the list I pointed it out to the porter, he said that the booking was only for a single room and that I would have to pay another £75 for my own room if I wanted to stay and that it would have to be by CASH!

Well, I was outraged as you can imagine, this guy was clearly a crook after some extra money so I refused to stay at the hotel altogether and explained that I will be writing this review! My colleague actually stayed on in the room (as he couldn't get a refund). I meanwhile, ended up finding the last available room in a local b&b.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BenOlney

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Sudbury, Suffolk
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed one night in July 2013 and were absolutely delighted both with our room and the very friendly staff and owner we met during our stay. I understand that the Star Anglia side of the business (the hotel is split between two buildings either side of an entry road to the hotel car park) has recently been extensively refurbished. We stayed in one of the most recently completed rooms and had a massive double bed in a large room which overlooks the hotel's (again, newly completed) terrace. The room had everything we needed, including a large flatscreen TV and tea/coffee making facilities - as well as a fridge. Our bathroom was not huge, but very well appointed. The terrace below has a number of tables and chairs with parasols and lots of attractive potted plants and is a great place to unwind. The hotel has plenty of car parking spaces in a gated carpark, with additional spaces available in an overflow area.

All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful and the owner a delightful lady who, when we were waiting for a taxi to take us out for the evening, offered us a cup of tea whilst we waited. I really felt that the team there were keen to do anything they could to make our stay as comfortable as possible. All in all we felt we had made a great find - and the price of a room was very competitive by comparison with other hotels in Colchester.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 218 - it's great!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Excellent room in Star - Anglia , helpful and friendly staff , fantastic restaurant
I have stayed here for 3 days each working week since mid-February !
Drinking chocolate in the room , Sky Sports News and it would be purfect .

Room Tip: Have a room at the back as main road is busy at front
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank coastalhideaway
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed here on business and the first thing i noticed was that the room was an ice-box. They tried to alter the heating but nevertheless it turned off at 11.30pm. The temperature outside was pushing -5 degrees which made for an uncomfortable stay. They had installed a circuit breaker box in the room which made a constant buzzing. When i went to turn this off, it set off the fire alarm for 2 mins and an emergency light came on in the room. I was able to cover the light but obviously then had no power to charge phone etc. Its basically a straight choice between being kept up by the noise or the light. We stayed in the 'new' wing of the hotel which is possibly the explanation for the teething problems, and the staff were pleasant enough on the rare occasions they were around.

Breakfast was 'Continental' ie Coco Pops and stale croissant. The pot of milk contained 1/2 pint of milk so obviously they dont anticipate many guests partaking of this meagre fayre.

Finally, the bed was not made every day and tea/ biscuits not replenished which you would expect of even the most basic hostelry. As there was no evidence of any other guests staying at the time it's not like they were rushed off their feet.

The hotel did have some good aspects like big TV and comfy bed but its the bad things i will remember.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Secret-business2012
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

On 2 occasions I have stayed in this hotel due to working in the area. I had to work in an office block out of hours so didn't get to the hotel until late.
The toilet/shower is a small plastic box, the door would not stay shut unless you locked it from the outside. Despite being advertised, I stayed in 2 different rooms, there was no hair dryer.
Light bulbs hade blown and not been replaced. One light in one room had 3 bulbs with 2 blown. I went to plug in the kettle and found the electrical socket broken. In one room, the curtains would not close. This window was opposite another room with the occupants keeping their light on all night. There was also a small roof between these rooms which was full of cigarette butts. Very noisy other occupants seemed to be having a party in the room above mine. All in all, not the best experience of this hotel. Remember, little things count.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Nigel T
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Recently our staff stayed at globe hotel colchester. Staff are excellent, helpful, lovely facilities, very good reception. Excellent value for money. our staff will use this hotel when we visit colchester.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business