“Don't let the negative reviews fool you”
Review of Globe Hotel

and 1 more site!
Globe Hotel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Booked a room as I had an interview at the uni and needed to be up early. Very cheap at £50, wasn't expecting a great deal as the reviews seemed to be all the same which was worrying but again it was £50, however, when I arrived signing in was very easy and I was asked if I wanted breakfast etc. And then given my key and left alone (I appreciated that). The room was brilliant for £50 (room 10), absolutely 100% getting my money's worth. Comfy bed, clean room with teas and coffee with an ensuit. If I could pick faults in anyway it would be as a result of the doorway into the bathroom, there's a little frame that I didn't expect to be there and I stubbed my toe very hard haha. Apart from that absolutely 10/10 service. Would use again

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank marcusw666

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel is undergoing extensive refurbishment and so there are some glitches to iron out.
The arrangements for getting in are confusing. There is no one on reception and you have to telephone to get someone to come from somewhere at the back of the hotel, somewhat inconvenient as I was stood in the rain waiting for an answer. They should have a bell on the door.

I found the staff very helpful. The first room I was given had a problem with the radiator, they tried to sort out my problem and when they couldn't they took me to a new room and checked back that this one was satisfactory.

The standards for house keeping could be improved, although they emptied my bin each day they did not wash up a cup I used.
There is no mini fridge.

I was more comfortable than in other hotels at a similar price e.g.travel lodge or premier inn. Rooms are decorated very nicely.

Please note price does not include breakfast it is extra,
Lots of local take aways and several places to eat quite close.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were charged for a double room, firstly it was dirty and the sheets were filthy too. In the morning two friends came to the hotel so we could head off to get some breakfast with them. The manager ( rude little woman) accused us of having 4 people stay in the room and charged me again. I immediately told her to check the cameras and she would see she was wrong. She said the person who checks this is not there and so couldn't. She did not refund me and we had to call the police. They were not able to come out for this and so she got away with it. She was very argumentative and said she "doesn't care about our business" and " I own half of colchester" and so on. Avoid at all costs, very dodgy sketchy people running a run down dirty hotel if you can call it that.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Tru P
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Actually the room was really well decorated and perhaps better than average but for £75 we thought we were getting breakfast but that might have been my mistake. Easy walking distance to Colchester town center , well for us anyway. Staff were very good no problem there but we found the bin in our room hadnt been emptied and I couldnt get the shower gel to work in the shower!! 2 minor points really but worth noting in detail. Not the best but nowhere near the worst!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My colleague and I booked a twin room for £75 which we were told would be fine to accommodate two people. When we arrived after hours, I was greeted by the porter on duty who tried to explain that my friend had not made a booking. After spotting his name on the list I pointed it out to the porter, he said that the booking was only for a single room and that I would have to pay another £75 for my own room if I wanted to stay and that it would have to be by CASH!

Well, I was outraged as you can imagine, this guy was clearly a crook after some extra money so I refused to stay at the hotel altogether and explained that I will be writing this review! My colleague actually stayed on in the room (as he couldn't get a refund). I meanwhile, ended up finding the last available room in a local b&b.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank BenOlney
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed one night in July 2013 and were absolutely delighted both with our room and the very friendly staff and owner we met during our stay. I understand that the Star Anglia side of the business (the hotel is split between two buildings either side of an entry road to the hotel car park) has recently been extensively refurbished. We stayed in one of the most recently completed rooms and had a massive double bed in a large room which overlooks the hotel's (again, newly completed) terrace. The room had everything we needed, including a large flatscreen TV and tea/coffee making facilities - as well as a fridge. Our bathroom was not huge, but very well appointed. The terrace below has a number of tables and chairs with parasols and lots of attractive potted plants and is a great place to unwind. The hotel has plenty of car parking spaces in a gated carpark, with additional spaces available in an overflow area.

All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful and the owner a delightful lady who, when we were waiting for a taxi to take us out for the evening, offered us a cup of tea whilst we waited. I really felt that the team there were keen to do anything they could to make our stay as comfortable as possible. All in all we felt we had made a great find - and the price of a room was very competitive by comparison with other hotels in Colchester.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 218 - it's great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Excellent room in Star - Anglia , helpful and friendly staff , fantastic restaurant
I have stayed here for 3 days each working week since mid-February !
Drinking chocolate in the room , Sky Sports News and it would be purfect .

Room Tip: Have a room at the back as main road is busy at front
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business