“Worst hotel( if you can call it that) I've ever stayed at!”
Review of Globe Hotel

Globe Hotel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 29 April 2014

These people are just out for your money, they don't care about you at all! Price you pay online changes at the door and unless you pay it they say get lost. Don't waste your money on this place, it's dirty, smelly and worst of all the staff are the most annoying people on earth!

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank John8213

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is an adequate hotel. I had a room with a bath, on the top floor. It was comfortable and secure, maybe not 5* and certainly not in terms of decor. Location is fine, it was half way between the railway station and where I was working, with a little cafe not far away to have a bacon roll.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Booked this hotel at short notice as was visiting friends in the area, so wasn't sure what to expect.

Arrived by train into Colchester (main station, not Town) and walked to the hotel which was only 5 minutes away, a real plus point in my opinion. I was a bit confused as there is a sign on the side of a building which says 'Globe Hotel', but then an Indian restaurant underneath. Proceeded around the side to the entrance where a sign stated to go and check in over the road. The establishment opposite is called 'Star Anglia', which I guess is somehow connected to The Globe.

Was checked in quickly and given my key, had to go back over the road and upstairs to the second floor. Being above the restaurant you could smell the curry, bear this in mind if you're not into that sort of thing!

The room itself I thought was good, a decent space with chair, wardrobe, flat screen TV and double bed (which was very comfy).

The downside was the bathroom, it was just too small and difficult to move about in. It's also more like a wet room so the water tends to end up everywhere. The shower pressure also seemed to be very low on all temperatures, had I been staying longer would have mentioned this at reception.

The town centre is only a short walk away up North Station Road and can be reached in 10 minutes. Lots of fast food outlets on the way as well (Domino's/Pizza Hut/Kebabs/Chinese etc), so good for a bite to eat if required.

Returned in the small hours, but unfortunately was woken up fairly early by lots of creaking and moving about in the next room. I noticed they are all packed together fairly tight, so the walls must be thin, which is a shame.

Overall I would stay again though (the proximity to the station/town is the seller), if the bathroom was bigger this would be an excellent from me!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Booked a room as I had an interview at the uni and needed to be up early. Very cheap at £50, wasn't expecting a great deal as the reviews seemed to be all the same which was worrying but again it was £50, however, when I arrived signing in was very easy and I was asked if I wanted breakfast etc. And then given my key and left alone (I appreciated that). The room was brilliant for £50 (room 10), absolutely 100% getting my money's worth. Comfy bed, clean room with teas and coffee with an ensuit. If I could pick faults in anyway it would be as a result of the doorway into the bathroom, there's a little frame that I didn't expect to be there and I stubbed my toe very hard haha. Apart from that absolutely 10/10 service. Would use again

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank marcusw666
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel is undergoing extensive refurbishment and so there are some glitches to iron out.
The arrangements for getting in are confusing. There is no one on reception and you have to telephone to get someone to come from somewhere at the back of the hotel, somewhat inconvenient as I was stood in the rain waiting for an answer. They should have a bell on the door.

I found the staff very helpful. The first room I was given had a problem with the radiator, they tried to sort out my problem and when they couldn't they took me to a new room and checked back that this one was satisfactory.

The standards for house keeping could be improved, although they emptied my bin each day they did not wash up a cup I used.
There is no mini fridge.

I was more comfortable than in other hotels at a similar price e.g.travel lodge or premier inn. Rooms are decorated very nicely.

Please note price does not include breakfast it is extra,
Lots of local take aways and several places to eat quite close.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were charged for a double room, firstly it was dirty and the sheets were filthy too. In the morning two friends came to the hotel so we could head off to get some breakfast with them. The manager ( rude little woman) accused us of having 4 people stay in the room and charged me again. I immediately told her to check the cameras and she would see she was wrong. She said the person who checks this is not there and so couldn't. She did not refund me and we had to call the police. They were not able to come out for this and so she got away with it. She was very argumentative and said she "doesn't care about our business" and " I own half of colchester" and so on. Avoid at all costs, very dodgy sketchy people running a run down dirty hotel if you can call it that.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Tru P
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Actually the room was really well decorated and perhaps better than average but for £75 we thought we were getting breakfast but that might have been my mistake. Easy walking distance to Colchester town center , well for us anyway. Staff were very good no problem there but we found the bin in our room hadnt been emptied and I couldnt get the shower gel to work in the shower!! 2 minor points really but worth noting in detail. Not the best but nowhere near the worst!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends