See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed one night on my visit to Colchester. Tidy clean hotel, very simple. The single room I stayed in was good value for money at £60. Less than 10 min walk from the main Colchester train station and very close to Colchester town centre. Very clean and super friendly staff. Will surely stay again in the future.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
BLamichhane, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is indeed a pleasure to read your positive comment about facilities and services offered. Also, I am delighted to know you had an amazing experience at our hotel and we were able to deliver to you the Star Anglia service standards we pride ourselves on.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2017

First the negative. On arriving we found that the lavatory in our room had been used but not flushed.

On the positive side, the room was a good size, acceptable clean (apart from the above) and the king size bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
BLamichhane, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Dear Customer
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at our hotel. We value our customer's feedback and take every opportunity to make improvements our services.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2017

I do not often take time out of my day to review things but i was pretty disgusted by my experience this weekend at the Globe hotel.

Arrived to check with a lady that was all fine. Upon entering my room i went straight to the loo to find that the floor was flooded with a discoloured liquid as well as an un-flushed toilet. Not being one to complain i left it and went to lie on the bed after long day and watch some TV. The TV did not work either......After eventually finding my way back to the reception i told the man that was now behind the desk about all of the above. Without receiving an apology he said i could only change rooms if i paid an extra fee of £20, which in my mind was extremely rude and quite cheeky having been given a room with a flooded bathroom, toilet that had not been flushed and a TV that was not working.

After eventually coming to his senses he said there was another room that i could take so he gave me the key and i went up to my new room which turned out to be half the size of of the one i was originally in. I had been downgraded and didn't receive a refund. At this moment you could imagine i was not in the best of moods.

Having had a stressful half an hour i then went to have a shower, after waiting 5 minutes for the water to eventually get hot i went in to find that the complimentary shower bottle had already been half used and the box that was supposed to contain soap was empty.

Moving on swiftly to the bed, well, the 1 pillow (yes i did check the cupboards for more) that i was given lifted my head a mere 3.5cm of the bed and i would say a good 6 inches of my legs dangled off the end (i am 5ft 10"). Oh and not to mention the numerous stains on the duvet which were a little of putting.

Not quite finished yet.....

The next morning having had possibly one of the worst nights sleep in a while i went downstairs to breakfast where i was told before booking that there would be a full english breakfast available as well as continental for 7:30. Well i arrived for breakfast for 7:35 and there was no full english. What there was were the sort of croissants that you would find in a rationed box and some luke warm yoghurt, not quite what i was expecting. There were a selection of cereal, break, and jam to be fair but no full english breakfast ready for 7:30.

Having finally left this so called hotel on my way to work on the Sunday i realised that later i the day i had forgot to give my key back at reception. I called up and asked if i needed to return this plastic card to which they said yes, if it is not returned today you will be fined £15. After all that i would have thought that i would at least be let off the hook, but no.

Anyway, rant over, would i recommend the Globe Hotel? Quick answer, no, i would have rather slept in my car in the car park.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank gloveroa

Dear Mr Glover,
Thank you for your letter dated 8th April 2017.
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer guests with a quality service and are grateful to receive feedback to ensure that we can continuously improve.
Having investigated your complaint with our housekeeping team and the front desk staff we would like to take the opportunity to address each of your concerns.
You expressed a concern about the toilet and the TV. Following inspection by the hotel staff when you reported the issue it was noted that the TV was working satisfactorily. The toilet, however, had an issue with the flushing mechanism and the cleaning fluid was still visible. Consequently, 2 options were offered as part of our hotel policy. Upgrading to the different room at an additional cost or another similar sized single room in the hotel. You opted to take the similar sized room at no additional cost. We do accept that the alternative room had a different layout which may have provided the perception of it being smaller. Our front desk staff checked on you at a later time to make sure the alternative room was up to your satisfaction and at the time you accepted the alternative room.
We are unaware of the used shower gel and soap and our front desk did not record an issue at the time. We are always happy to provide additional showering fluids if guests request it.
We accept that all single rooms are provided with a single pillow in line with our environment policy to reduce consumption of cleaning materials. Most of our guests are satisfied with a single pillow, however, if additional pillows are required we are more than happy to provide them. We are sorry that it was an issue for you to sleep, however additional pillows could have been provided if you had contacted the front desk. Similarly, if the bedding was an issue, we could have provided an alternative. However, no issues were raised with the front desk at the time.
All our single beds are of a standard size, which is 6ft by 3ft wide. As you state that you are 5ft 10ins, we are unable to understand why the bed did not fit. Again, we did not receive an issue at the time.
We cater breakfast for all our guests starting at 7.30.am. At Star Anglia and the Globe hotel, we accommodate breakfast at an earlier time should our guest request it. On the day, our picture records show that a full buffet breakfast was available from at least 7.45am. It may have been a misunderstanding that our Full English Breakfasts are made to order and perhaps you were unaware of this and therefore assumed that the Full English was not available. We apologise for this misunderstanding and will ensure that in future our guests are aware of this.
Should our guests inadvertently take the room key with them, we kindly request our guests to return the key back to our hotel at their convenience. If they are unable to return the key, we request them to dispose of the key. On this occasion, you were told that an invoice will be generated for the amount £15. This was the case with the previous management and we have updated our staff with the current company policy. However, you were not charged with this amount. I would like to thank you for raising this issue in particular, as this has helped us update our policy.
At Star Anglia and Globe Hotel, we endeavour to provide the best service to all our clients. We are sorry that you felt we could not meet your expectations on this occasion.

If at all in the future you would like to stay in Colchester, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will ensure that you receive an outstanding service from our team.
Thank you.
Regards,
Manager

Reviewed 10 April 2017

The worst night I've ever had in a hotel. The noise of traffic outside the window was relentless, and due to no soundproofing around the door I was listening to people going up and down the corridor, banding doors and having loud conversations until 2am.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a quiet room, maybe they have some at the back of the building.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Globe Hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary improve upon the services that we provide to our valued customers.

Your feedback is much appreciated and we are glad that you chose to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, perhaps trying one of our rooms facing the rear of the building or another hotel room called Star Anglia Hotel.

Thank you.
Regards,
Buddha Lamichahne

Reviewed 4 April 2017

Such good value for money!! Hotel is quite basic yet very clean and really accommodating. Staff friendly and nothing too much effort. The bed was huge and we slept really well which we don't usually in hotel beds. Breakfast was great with a wide selection to choose from. Hotel thoroughly recommended. Thank you xx

Stayed: April 2017
LamichhaneB, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is indeed a pleasure to read your positive comment about facilities and services offered. Also, I am delighted to know you had an amazing experience at our hotel and we were able to deliver to you the Globe Hotel service standards we pride ourselves on.
Good News! Our hotel management is under the process of refurbishment and I hope, Your stay will be more comfortable and enjoyable.

Best regards,