“A boutique hotel without pretending to be one”

and 1 more site!
The North Hill Hotel
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel is really well situated, at a walking distance from the train stations and around the corner from the Colchester's main shopping high street, the castle and beautiful park.
The staff are friendly and helpful and everything is spotless, the food is well worth a try too, I dare say probably one of the best restaurants in Colchester, although I have not tried many others the standard was so high it would be rare to find another restaurant like this in a small town -there is a superb vegetarian option on their menu. And on a good day, there is the option of eating/drinking in the pleasant courtyard, you can also opt to have your breakfast served here -the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on a muffin was delicious.
I travelled on business and staying in this hotel made me feel more like I was on holiday, I certainly would have liked to stay longer, and no doubt whenever I go back to Colchester I will go back to the North Hill Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed at The North Hill Hotel for two nights at the end of June on a business trip. I always like to avoid the big hotel chains whenever possible, so I was delighted to find this place, which coupled a pretty reasonable price with what appeared to be a fantastic restaurant.

On arrival, first impressions were pretty positive. I was welcomed warmly & given directions to the local NCP car park, which was available at a discounted rate for hotel guests. My room proved to be similarly welcoming, with an extremely comfortable bed & a nice shower room. The one extremely minor irritation with the room was that the bathroom fan seemed to make a slightly more annoying buzzing sound than was strictly necessary!

Sleep-wise, I always find it difficult to sleep in a town centre hotel and, true to form, I struggled somewhat here. My room was at the front of the hotel & there was reasonable amount of traffic noise during the night, but that's the price you pay for being conveniently located. Rather more annoying was the bloke drunkenly singing outside my window at 4 in the morning on the second night. Again though, there's nothing The North Hill Hotel could be realistically expected to do about that kind of thing.

More than compensating for the restless night was the food. It was fantastic. Special mentions go to the service, which was fantastic, and also to the bacon at breakfast time! It was the tastiest bacon I've ever eaten. By all accounts, it's from a rare breed, a fact which can be largely explained by the fact it tastes amazing!

A 4 o'clock drunken serenade aside, I had a great stay & will look forward to returning next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: I'd suggest trying to get a room at the back of the hotel, if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We were welcomed from the moment we pulled up outside the hotel. The staff are all incredibly polite and helpful...nothing was too much trouble. Food was amazing, even breakfast was superb! We stayed in a family room which was very large, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. Car parking is not an issue as the hotel give you a token for the ncp. Overnight parking for only five pounds. We used this accommodation for a pre wedding party and the buffet food was exceptional. Ps. Barman serves the best gin and tonic in town!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I went to Colchester with my girlfriend to watch her brother and his band who were playing a gig at a near by pub, Pat Malloys. I live localish to Colchester, and was going to get a taxi, but my girlfriend thought why not get a hotel room for the night and booked us in at North Hill Hotel.

The service was great, checked in no problem, went down to the Bar to get my girlfriend a glass of wine, which was very reasonable, I was actually shocked and thought it was cheap!

The room was pretty compact, and the bathroom huge in comparison, but all very clean, modern and nice. I really liked the guest book with interesting facts about Colchester. Being local I knew some, but also leant a few things!

Breakfast was lovely, I really enjoyed it, shame my girlfriend couldn't make it down, she partied too hard at the gig and had one to many Babychams.

Would stay again, be nice to see what the fancy room is like that is in the picture.

2  Thank wza1977
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is good overall with all the usual suspects present and correct. The breakfast was very nice (although I found the scrambled egg a bit too salty), very good orange juice and coffee though.
My room was a bit noisy as it over looked the main road, and it seemed the walls were a bit thin as noise transmitted from other rooms. Parking is either in front of the hotel or in the NCP which is a couple of minutes walk away (cost £7 overnight).

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Being a Colchester resident, until April 2013, I never thought I would have the opportunity to stay at the North Hill Hotel. My husband and I have had many memorable meals at the Green Room but did not get the chance to sample the hotel facilities until just before we emigrated to Florida.
We stayed in room 34 for 2 nights and it is a delightful penthouse style suite in the converted building at the rear of the hotel. It has plenty of space, with a sofa and chair and an entrance independent of the main hotel. The bathroom is expansive, but there is only a shower, although I think they could have fitted in a bathtub. I have to agree with other reviewers that the shower pressure is disappointing. The bathroom bin had not been emptied and contained waste from the previous occupant.
We ate in the restaurant with my in-laws on the first night and as usual, the food and service were excellent. Breakfast on both mornings was impressive and plentiful. The staff are super friendly and accomodating.
This would have been a 5 star review, had it not been for a potentially embarrassing oversight by a staff member. A close friend had thoughtfully ordered and paid for a bottle of our favorite wine to be sent ot our room as a farewell gift. We were ignorant of this, until the friend enquired as to whether we had enjoyed the wine. when contacted, the hotel manager admitted that it had been overlooked and our friend wwas refunded the amount paid. It is a shame and very disappointing that this incident tarnished our last night in the UK.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel is more peaceful. Room 34 is excellent
1  Thank Racoon12345
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed one night - had the mini suite pictured in their listing photo - great size room & facilities (bed not king size though) - very clean. Stay very nice - polite and new what they were talking about. Prices reasonable. Restaurant food nice - what is says on the menu you get on the plate - but not fantastic. Steak great (and cooked properly). Restaurant lacked a bit of atmosphere and perhaps could have had tablecloths(?). Breakfast food very nice too. Worth the money.

Room Tip: try room 34
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
ColchesterRob, Owner at The North Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Hi
Thanks for your feedback, glad you enjoyed your stay, plenty of useful points. One comment I have to make is with regards to the bed size. UK Kingsize beds are 5ft wide (they are still all sold in imperial measures for some reason) All our rooms that are sold as kingsize have 5ft beds (we have one which is 'Super kingsize which is 6ft)

many thanks