“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Kent, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed three nights at the North Hill Hotel and very much enjoyed my time there. I asked for a quiet room as the hotel is on a main road, and was allocated a very nice room at the back away from the traffic noise. The room was scrupulously clean and well-appointed, with a lovely comfortable bed. Bathroom immaculate. Breakfast freshly cooked to order and delicious, and it really set me up for the day, as generally am not a big eater. The staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming. Would happily stay at the North Hill again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here several times earlier this year. The hotel is well located in the centre of Colchester. I've stayed in various rooms- some are fantastical and some quite small. Traffic noise can be a problem. However, that is more than compensated for by the personal touches- friendly staff and great restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight here on the night of our Wedding back on 31/3/12. Our Wedding Reception was held nearby in the town centre, so this hotel was very convenient.

The staff were helpful and informative when I booked our room several months before the Big Day! They showed me the available rooms and explained to me that the Night Porter would be on duty if we arrived late. They even let me drop off our bags early on the morning of the Wedding, so that they would be there when we arrived.

We had a top floor suite at the characterful annexe, at the back to the hotel. Although the walk to the room was through the hotel, out to the back block and up small stairs, it was worth it. Our room was large, comfortable and had a lovely pitched roof with beams on show. The bed was comfortable and we sufficient towels, pillows and toiletries.

Breakfast the next morning was very nice - cooked breakfast., with plenty of tea and juice.

One pays a premium to stay at this Hotel, but it is central to the town, without being on the noisy High Street. Not sure about the parking, as we parked elsewhere for convenience.

Room Tip: My only reservation would be that this room might get hot in Summer weather, and the windows are sma...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Stavanger
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Five of of had lunch in The Green Room at The North Hill Hotel. They had been asked if they would do some vegan options. We had a choice of two vegan starters and two mains. It was a great meal. They also had bottled beer made especially for them which was also vegan. It was a great experience. The food for the omnivores was also very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel to attend a job interview and it was a good experience. The hotel itself is average in every sense but the owner made every effort to welcome me there. This included posting my mobile phone, which I have forgotten in my room :) thanks!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

As a first time visitor, I was very impressed by the friendly welcome and the pleasant decor of the hotel.
The room was fairly basic, but very clean and comfortable, with welcome free Wifi.
Good choice of cooked or continental breakfast to round it off.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stuart1503
Barnet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night to visit some friends in the area, the location of the hotel was great we only had to walk 2 minutes to get to the bar which is why we chose this particular hotel.

We were put in a room at the front of hotel at first which was quite stuffy and very noisy once the windows were open but it is on a main road so that's not surprising! I asked for a room at the back of the hotel and they changed us over straight away, but we got the room right by the kitchen extractor fan so instead of noise we had the smell of chip fat from the kitchen.

The room was nice, decent size and very clean, the bed was really comfortable and the shower was great, but the extractor fan in the bathroom did run for quite a long time.

There aren't menus in the room but you can order room service, another slightly strange decision I think. Can't judge the whole menu because we only ordered the triple cooked chips (must have been tempted by the smell in the room!) But they were a bit raw, maybe only double cooked!

Despite it's slightly bad points the staff were great, very friendly and happy to help. Breakfast was nice, for an English breakfast it wasn't greasy, but they don't put water out at breakfast which I found quite odd. They had run out of brown sauce which for a city centre hotel with lots of shops nearby seems a bit strange.

All in all I'm not totally sure I'd stay again but I don't know whether other hotels in the city centre would be a massive improvement.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple