All reviewsbudget accommodationmile end roaddoor codesufficient informationclose to train stationmini fridgewi fi was greatpower shower was excellentfolding chairstext messagetea and coffee making facilitiesone at a timeneeded somewhereexcellent communicationequipped roomscomplimentary watershared bathroom
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

This place is perfect for single workers wanting cheap accomodation. The room was very small for two people but we managed in a comical way.
The continental breakfast was nice and they use fairtrade but the bread was still frozen.
The hotel has a check yourself in policy and they text you the key code to enter on arrival which we didn't receive and on returning on our second day our room was unlocked and our window was wide open! Not happy as we were on the ground floor.
Security needs improvement

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Nat-Max-Travels
KLilley7, Manager at The Railway Sleeper Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Mr Starr

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback. We always look investigate customers comments to see where improvement is needed. Our rooms are compact but we do state the dimensions of the rooms and ensuites both on our website and the number of other booking portals so guests can make an informed choice with regards to the level of spaciousness. We do offer self heck in so guests are free to arrive at any time from 3pm. We are surprised that you have stated you did not recieve the code bbecause this would have meant you would not have gained accesss. I have looked into this and we have a record of sending you a text message on the 0503.13 with the code details to which you replied to us with a text stating ok. With regards to security we already have 24 hour CCTV recording and a member of staff is on the premises at all times. I can only apologise if your window was left open as we routinely open these during the service of the room. Our cleaner does follow a strict routine on completion of cleaning the rooms by doing a double check of all room doors to ensure they are locked and then ticking this off on her check list. If it was indeed vit was an oversight on her part we do apologise and trust all was in order when you returned to your room.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

This is a great quality budget hotel located 10 minutes walk up the hill from Colchester's main railway station.

I was here on business for 1 night only. I arrived late at the hotel which was no problem at all, as I was given a code to get through the door and told where my key would be left for me.This hotel does not have a reception but someone is available on the phone at all times - the style of it makes the guest very independent and able to come and go as they like, check in and check out without even seeing anyone. It suited my needs perfectly as I arrived late and left early, and just needed somewhere to put my head down for the night.

My room was compact and comfortable. I like the way the owner has thought of everything here - small touches like providing cutlery for takeaways in your room is a good idea, and a mini-fridge for drinks etc. They seem to really know their type of customer - they've got the budget price of a Travelodge but far better equipped rooms than those places.

The room had a tv, luggage rack, coffee/tea making facilities, en suite bathroom with under floor heating and heated towel rails, soap, extra blanket, clothes hanging area, mini iron/ ironing board and a hair dryer. The hotel was well heated and doors secure.

I was pleasantly surprised to find breakfast was included in the price of my room. I thought when I booked it online that I had got the room only. When I read the hotel info in my room it appears all rooms booked mon-fri have breakfast included. If you book sat-sun then you have to pay between £2.95-£4.95 for the breakfast. There was a good continental option or a full english, fresh coffee and choice of other drinks.

The staff I met at breakfast were very friendly and helpful. Communications were good - mainly it was by e-mail and text which I felt was sufficient. Overall I had a really great stay at The Railway Sleeper and would come here again on another occasion.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank paperlily3
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed for one night and was very happy, warm and comfortable in my room. The premises are clean, tidy and well managed. There are more than adequate provisions; en suite, TV, breakfast, WiFi, parking, tea and coffee etc, and the price was very reasonable.

Having read some of the negative reviews I tend to think people are far too negative and unreasonably derogatory about the place, and expect Waldorf standards from a small but excellent B&B. If they want Waldorf, then they should go there.

I am a senior manager and travel around the country every day of the week, and would put this place in the top ten percent of accommodation I stay in.

Great place, nice owners, will return.

Neil Thompson

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear have slightly less traffic noise. But all are double glazed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Neil T
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed there twice, already writing a review after the first stay because it is very strange that on their website and other booking servers, the Railway Sleeper seems to be just one house, offering rooms with breakfast. Our company had booked us in there for 4 nights and paid WITH breakfast, only on arrival did we find out that again, there was no breakfast as we were not in the advertised house, but in a different building without breakfast.
On our last day we were confronted by the owner, who didn´t like our first review, although we solely expressed our personal opinion.
To cut a long story short - the owner got very rude and verbally abusive to us, it even ended in an assault. And this because of a review! We were more than shocked! There was no way of a polite communication with the owner. We have seen on other review-websites that this wasn´t the first time this had happened to a guest.

The houses are both not well staffed, no one can be seen at any time, that makes problem solving very hard, the whole breakfast issue, especially if prices are advertised as "breakfast included" on their website are very misleading.

There are many nice and well priced guest houses in Colchester - rather give those a try - it may save you from being bruised.

Room Tip: choose between tiny and tinier. If you take the one house, there will be breakfast, If you take the other, not advertised house, it will still cost the same but be without breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank wildjourney
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I booked this little budget lodge (as they advertise it) as my usual one was fully booked. I expected to find what you would normally find in budget chains like travelodge etc. But this was not the case they had an extremely convenient self check in, rooms that were immaculately clean, bright and airy and comprised of an iron, ironing board hairdryer, generous hospitality tray and a small fridge. They had either ensuite or private bathrooms for the room both were very generous sizes and well maintained. The owner is very friendly but respects ones privacy. All in all this is a very well managed lodge and I would recommend to anyone travelling on business. Value for money is exceptional but need to be careful not to undersell.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business