“Good reasonable accomodation”

The Railway Sleeper Lodge
Ranked #7 of 41 Colchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Staying in Colchester for three nights we chose The Railway Sleeper as our base. Easy check in, clean rooms and friendly owners plus good parking facilities made the stay very agreeable. Very OK if you are looking for a reasonable place to sleep. We were glad we had a car as travelling to the university area otherwise would have been rather cumbersome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Torgeir S

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Dominic and Kim are the most friendly and affable guest house owners you could ever wish to meet, you get a warm welcome and they have an understanding nature. I was left stranded and had no transport home until 2 hours after check out time, I explained this to the owners and asked if I could leave my luggage until my transport arrived, I was invited to stay in the room until my lift arrived. These are the kind of people who show understanding and kindness. I travel with a large dog who they readily accepted at short notice. The facilities are good, the rooms are clean and well maintained, the breakfast is more than you would expect from a budget hotel. The dining room is airy and spotless. I really can't praise this guest house highly enough, they are hard working (obviously) and nothing is too much trouble. I strongly recommend this guest house to anyone on a budget because you wont find better value in colchester. You arrive a stranger and you leave as a friend.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank jimbow2
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed at the Railway Sleeper when visiting Colchester for one night in March 2013. We just wanted a cheap place as we were literally just sleeping for one night, but were pleasantly surprised. There is no reception but check in consists of them sending a code to open the front door and details of where the room key could be found. The room was small but very clean and had an en-suite, TV, hair dryer, safe, iron, coffee and tea making facilities and a flat screen TV. more than we were expecting from a B and B. There is also parking which was a bonus in the centre of Colchester! They don't do breakfast at the weekend but a nice touch was the complimentary welcome pack in the fridge consisting of a tub of yoghurt, a muffin and a carton of fruit juice.

Room Tip: Only problem was that the small fridge was quite noisy but we switched it off.problem solved!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1953pb
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is a great quality budget hotel located 10 minutes walk up the hill from Colchester's main railway station.Thanks to our host's for a wonderful stay room great ,breakfast even better ,everything catered for, check-in so easy. Highly recommended . Many thanks again and thanks for the picture, will be back.

Room Tip: room 4 quality .
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keith g
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

This place is perfect for single workers wanting cheap accomodation. The room was very small for two people but we managed in a comical way.
The continental breakfast was nice and they use fairtrade but the bread was still frozen.
The hotel has a check yourself in policy and they text you the key code to enter on arrival which we didn't receive and on returning on our second day our room was unlocked and our window was wide open! Not happy as we were on the ground floor.
Security needs improvement

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Nat-Max-Travels
KLilley7, Manager at The Railway Sleeper Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Mr Starr

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback. We always look investigate customers comments to see where improvement is needed. Our rooms are compact but we do state the dimensions of the rooms and ensuites both on our website and the number of other booking portals so guests can make an informed choice with regards to the level of spaciousness. We do offer self heck in so guests are free to arrive at any time from 3pm. We are surprised that you have stated you did not recieve the code bbecause this would have meant you would not have gained accesss. I have looked into this and we have a record of sending you a text message on the 0503.13 with the code details to which you replied to us with a text stating ok. With regards to security we already have 24 hour CCTV recording and a member of staff is on the premises at all times. I can only apologise if your window was left open as we routinely open these during the service of the room. Our cleaner does follow a strict routine on completion of cleaning the rooms by doing a double check of all room doors to ensure they are locked and then ticking this off on her check list. If it was indeed vit was an oversight on her part we do apologise and trust all was in order when you returned to your room.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I was here on business for 1 night only. I arrived late at the hotel which was no problem at all, as I was given a code to get through the door and told where my key would be left for me.This hotel does not have a reception but someone is available on the phone at all times - the style of it makes the guest very independent and able to come and go as they like, check in and check out without even seeing anyone. It suited my needs perfectly as I arrived late and left early, and just needed somewhere to put my head down for the night.

My room was compact and comfortable. I like the way the owner has thought of everything here - small touches like providing cutlery for takeaways in your room is a good idea, and a mini-fridge for drinks etc. They seem to really know their type of customer - they've got the budget price of a Travelodge but far better equipped rooms than those places.

The room had a tv, luggage rack, coffee/tea making facilities, en suite bathroom with under floor heating and heated towel rails, soap, extra blanket, clothes hanging area, mini iron/ ironing board and a hair dryer. The hotel was well heated and doors secure.

I was pleasantly surprised to find breakfast was included in the price of my room. I thought when I booked it online that I had got the room only. When I read the hotel info in my room it appears all rooms booked mon-fri have breakfast included. If you book sat-sun then you have to pay between £2.95-£4.95 for the breakfast. There was a good continental option or a full english, fresh coffee and choice of other drinks.

The staff I met at breakfast were very friendly and helpful. Communications were good - mainly it was by e-mail and text which I felt was sufficient. Overall I had a really great stay at The Railway Sleeper and would come here again on another occasion.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank paperlily3
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed for one night and was very happy, warm and comfortable in my room. The premises are clean, tidy and well managed. There are more than adequate provisions; en suite, TV, breakfast, WiFi, parking, tea and coffee etc, and the price was very reasonable.

Having read some of the negative reviews I tend to think people are far too negative and unreasonably derogatory about the place, and expect Waldorf standards from a small but excellent B&B. If they want Waldorf, then they should go there.

I am a senior manager and travel around the country every day of the week, and would put this place in the top ten percent of accommodation I stay in.

Great place, nice owners, will return.

Neil Thompson

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear have slightly less traffic noise. But all are double glazed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business