“Fantastically clean.”

The Railway Sleeper Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Colchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Nice sized rooms, lots of electrical sockets and appliances, first class breakfast and extremely clean. Very friendly staff. highly approve of self check in. Reasonably priced. A much better stay than other establishments.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank RichSav
There are newer reviews for The Railway Sleeper Lodge

Reviewed 20 February 2014

As a solo business traveller I needed a place to bed down for the night. I was in the "satellite building". text was received mid afternoon with room details and door keycode. Didn't see a soul but this was fine for me. It was a hundred yards from where I had meetings. I was lucky enough to blag the Family Room+ which was extremely spacious and comfortable. Although i was a bit apprehensive when the text said "your bathroom is adjacent to your room" I was delighted when i opened that bathroom door to reveal an enormous shower, an armchair, and a jacuzzi bath (in addition to the usual bathroom things...!)
The whole thing was just cute. Please don't wear your shoes on the carpet. Help yourself to tea and coffee. Make your self at home in our lounge. Please bear in mind other guests after dark. A true home from home. I would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a stunning bathroom...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JennieLear
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Excellent budget hotel with some thoughtful extras and good, no fuss booking and checking-in. We didn't meet any staff but did not expect to - everything was exactly as described. Door code worked, key where told, room clean, good parking at rear.
I strongly advise people to read what they are getting before booking. It is basic. The room we stayed in was small and the double bed is a small one as advertised, but very comfortable mattress. The room had everything we could need for our stay. Oh, and don't take several large cases - the room is well thought out to put in everything you might need, but gets rather crowded with adding you and your possessions. And the stairs are rather steep, so be careful. Not for people with unsteady gait, though there is one downstairs bedroom.
The en suite shower/toilet was just right and the shower was hot and with a good water pressure for me. I suggest hanging coats/jackets in the shower room as there is a hook thoughtfully provided.
I let the owners know I can't tolerate caffeine and they provided enough decaf tea and coffee for a week - we stayed one night - on top of the caffeinated coffee in the room. The snack bags in the fridge are enough for a quick breakfast - pastry, yoghurt and an orange juice in ours. Nice touch and set us up until lunching later and meant we didn't need to search around bakeries and waste our day.
The location is good. Bit of a walk from the station, but not far in the scheme of things and quiet, at least at the weekend when we were there. Also had a view from the bedroom.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jack63kids
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Staying in Colchester for three nights we chose The Railway Sleeper as our base. Easy check in, clean rooms and friendly owners plus good parking facilities made the stay very agreeable. Very OK if you are looking for a reasonable place to sleep. We were glad we had a car as travelling to the university area otherwise would have been rather cumbersome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Torgeir S
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Dominic and Kim are the most friendly and affable guest house owners you could ever wish to meet, you get a warm welcome and they have an understanding nature. I was left stranded and had no transport home until 2 hours after check out time, I explained this to the owners and asked if I could leave my luggage until my transport arrived, I was invited to stay in the room until my lift arrived. These are the kind of people who show understanding and kindness. I travel with a large dog who they readily accepted at short notice. The facilities are good, the rooms are clean and well maintained, the breakfast is more than you would expect from a budget hotel. The dining room is airy and spotless. I really can't praise this guest house highly enough, they are hard working (obviously) and nothing is too much trouble. I strongly recommend this guest house to anyone on a budget because you wont find better value in colchester. You arrive a stranger and you leave as a friend.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank jimbow2
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed at the Railway Sleeper when visiting Colchester for one night in March 2013. We just wanted a cheap place as we were literally just sleeping for one night, but were pleasantly surprised. There is no reception but check in consists of them sending a code to open the front door and details of where the room key could be found. The room was small but very clean and had an en-suite, TV, hair dryer, safe, iron, coffee and tea making facilities and a flat screen TV. more than we were expecting from a B and B. There is also parking which was a bonus in the centre of Colchester! They don't do breakfast at the weekend but a nice touch was the complimentary welcome pack in the fridge consisting of a tub of yoghurt, a muffin and a carton of fruit juice.

Room Tip: Only problem was that the small fridge was quite noisy but we switched it off.problem solved!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1953pb
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is a great quality budget hotel located 10 minutes walk up the hill from Colchester's main railway station.Thanks to our host's for a wonderful stay room great ,breakfast even better ,everything catered for, check-in so easy. Highly recommended . Many thanks again and thanks for the picture, will be back.

Room Tip: room 4 quality .
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple