“Fantastic day at Colchester Zoo”
Review of Colchester Zoo

Colchester Zoo
Ranked #4 of 79 things to do in Colchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Colchester Zoo is constantly developing and has won many awards for its work. With over 270 species to see, set in 60 acres of beautiful parkland and lakes, Colchester Zoo is well worth a visit. As you walk around the zoo there's plenty of play areas to try out including the indoor soft play area Jungle Tumble with a section for under 3s and all new play equipment where the kids can release their wild side! New enclosures include a walk through enclosure with butterflies and another with Rainbow Lorikeets offering visitors a chance to feed them a treat of nectar. Plus there's 'Bears of the Rising Sun', a state of the art enclosure which houses two beautiful sun bears , Jo Jo and Srey Ya. You can also come face to face with Komodo Dragons, see white rhino, giraffes, ostrich and kudu roaming together at Kingdom of the Wild and walk underwater through the 24m tunnel at the Playa Patagonia sealion pool. Learn more about the animals and see them up close by watching one of the 50 daily displays. You even get the fantastic opportunity to feed the elephants and giraffes yourself and take a ride on the 'Lost Madagascar Express' road train! Don't forget to pop into the discovery centre and have a go at handling some unusual bugs or get your face painted and transform yourself into your favourite animal!
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We took our grand children to Colchester Zoo & what an experience we all had !! The children fed the Giraffes & Elephants, which was very well & safely supervised & they thoroughly enjoyed that & then started the tour of the zoo & saw & read many informative notices on each enclosure about so many different animals, birds, fish, reptiles, insects, too many to mention !! All the keepers & other zoo personnel were very helpful & gave detailed answers to all the questions that we raised with them. We had a very pleasant lunch in one of the restaurants & then continued round the various indoor & outdoor enclosures. This Zoo is well known for its great success in the conservation field & preservation of endangered species. All in all it was a very enjoyable day !!!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,491)
All reviews
"sun bears"
in 58 reviews
"animals seem"
in 50 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
in 51 reviews
in 130 reviews
"school holidays"
in 65 reviews

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had this as a birthday gift. Best present ever. I had the most wonderful day out and all the keepers, Jason (elephants), Bex (sunbears), Vicky (wolves/tigers), were brilliant. They had so much information and little stories about the animals that made it very enjoyable as you get a real insight into the animals and how they look after them. I would thoroughly recommend zoo keeper for a day if you love animals, it was great to get as close as safely possible to the animals and it felt very special being allowed to go into areas/enclosures you can't usually go into. All the staff I came across were friendly and helpful, I had lunch in the Umphafa café included and this was a good portion and well cooked.
I hadn't been to the zoo for a while and it was good to see all the ongoing updates and improvements. I don't think the entrance fee of £20 for an adult is extortionate if going for a day as the zoo is so big and it is a full day out, if you compare it with the cost of other days out it is about the same, there are plenty of places to picnic if you want to save money and you can go back to your car and re-enter to save carrying it around.
Thank you for a great experience, I will recommend it to others.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We really enjoyed our day everywhere was clean and tidy the garden areas are well kept.there are numerous places to get food and drink, lots of seating and several play areas for children. The animals all look happy and the enclosures are a good standard..There's a full schedule of things to do with displays and animal feeding, only drawback is the incline which makes it difficult for wheelchairs etc this is reflected in the discount for disabled entry only £10

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Visited Colchester for a wedding and called at the zoo for the day. It's not a bad zoo but doesn't match up to Chester Zoo in any way. Some of the attractions are a bit worn and generally some of the animal habitats could do with an upgrade. I am sure the caring standards are high and the costs of running zoo's expensive so I wouldn't want to see the standards slip here.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I went here for a trip with the family and I have some good and bad feedback. To begin I will start with all the positives, lots of animals, good activities around the park, lovely staff, I really enjoyed being able to walk with the animals (apart from the fact the goats were a little scary!), lots of things to see and the signs everywhere with great facts, lots of choice for food and you learn something new every time.

Now onto the bad stuff, I am a smoker and being outdoors is a place to smoke, I understand with young children and animals being around but at one point I felt disgusted and that I was an outcast.. there was a small painted box on the floor in front of a large gate for the smokers, we were isolated from everyone and a bench to sit down would have been nice! so more smoking areas are also needed, the glass to see the animals need to be cleaned as there are a lot of fingerprints on them, one chicken restaurant was open but I was told I couldn't order until about half 10-11ish so I went to a nearby cafe for a breakfast but by the time I sat down to eat it my food was cold, the water fountain wasn't working and when it did it was in small bursts and I couldn't stand around all day trying to fill up a bottle, when it comes to feeding the goats there should be little paper bags or pots to put the food in rather than your hand as so much food comes out of the dispenser I couldn't hold it all, when I finally did go to the restaurant for chicken, it was barely edible, the southern friend chicken was gross and brown inside and it just put me off a bit and finally the maps you can get need to be a bit more clearer as it was difficult to understand where we were, what animals we've seen, what we haven't and we couldn't understand how we missed the flamingos when we walked past that area!

Overall the day was average but the prices are extortionate for what you receive.

1  Thank Ojmurray