“Characterful black & White timbered historic building”

Brook Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
“Characterful black & White timbered historic building”
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel has a fantastic dining room in it's vaulted great hall, once used by Oliver Cromwell,where we had a pleasant evening meal served by a very helpful and friendly waiter. We requested a room at the rear given previous comments and had no noise problems at all. The room wasn't massive, but this is what I would expect in a property of this age. the carpet seemed quite new and clean, and the bedlinen was White and spotless with a duvet, not blankets, so I would imagine this has all been replaced since the earlier comments on this. The bathroom, although not particularly new, was also clean and freshly painted.
The location is very good, a few minutes walk from everything, shops, restaurants,castle,museums and station. It's in the middle of the high street, and the other shopping areas are just behind, so you can easily pop back to drop off bags. The shopping was fast better than we expected, and there were plenty of restaurants nearby.
W

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Heather D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
Taunton
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Red Lion hotel certainly has the Wow factor for anyone who loves history esp the Tudor period. Just fantastic to eat in the dining room where Judge Jeffries and Oliver Cromwell have also sat - such illustrious company ! One can feel the sense of history and I do not mean Alice the resident ghost ! It is well located for walking the Colchester historical trail. Our group of Ramblers was very well looked after by the friendly and helpful staff. Many thanks indeed.
I so hope American visitors on their grand tour of Great Britain will stay at the Red Lion - they will simply adore the historical ambience.

Room Tip: Unfortunately the youth of Colchester are letting down their illustrious historical town by their no...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Auckland
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

To spend a night in this hotel that was built in the 1400's is a must. Such fun. The floorboards squeak, the doors squeak, the bed squeaks and there are ghosts apparently. It is not a holiday inn thank goodness and you certainly can't call the hotel sterile. It's full of character and being 600 years old the mindset has to be different. Yes it takes 20 minutes for the hot water to come through in the bathroom but the boiler is at the back of the hotel and being a grade 1 listed building it's not so easy to get that fixed? The staff are magnificent. Dinner was a deight and we were told to order what we liked..even if it wasn't on the menu. we loved this truly Englsh experience and have stacks of great anecdotes to tell friends about our night in the hotel. We even went on our own ghost hunt at 3am! Enjoy.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank AucklandDave
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife & I stayed at the Red Lion recently, and the first thing I would like to say is that the staff were very friendly and most helpful.
We were given a room at the front of the hotel with a pedestrian crossing outside, and the signal that bleeps when you cross over kept going off all night! (Admittedly not the hotels fault). Add to that the constant chatter from the cab drivers into the early hours directly outside the hotel, and the disgusting night clubbers who, and I might add, were mainly girls shouting and swearing, and so obviously with nowhere to go, as were laying on the pavement across the road.

The rooms were not particularly clean, although the bed linen was fine. The heating pipes were making so much noise my wife asked me to look outside because she seriously thought it was a motorbike. I did take a look as I thought that perhaps she was right, but alas no, it was the pipes in the room. The noise did not go on for too long but at the same time was totally unacceptable.

My friend announced in the morning that this was the worst hotel room he and his wife had ever stayed in. The toilet didn’t flush properly, the bathroom light couldn’t be turned off, which I couldn’t believe, so I checked for myself and he was right, no bathroom light switch! with no other means, apart from removing the bulb could it be switched off. Also hair around the sink taps, wallpaper patched up badly and the shower warm and weak.

The full English breakfast was minimal, the only thing big about it was the plate, which had a small sausage on it, some mushrooms, 1 egg, black pudding (Yuk!), half a tomato, 2 small thin rashers, no beans, no fried bread and no hash browns. It wasn't very warm and although I didn’t time it, it took somewhere in the region of about half an hour to be served.

My wife & I own a caravan equipped with all the mod cons including a separate shower/dressing room, constant hot water etc,etc, and I accept this is not everybody’s idea of luxury, but we wouldn’t swap a night in the Red Lion for a night in our caravan, which is immaculately clean and in perfect condition, for all the tea in China.

The Red Lion is steeped in history, and has some wonderful features and stories of ghosts and hauntings, but give me a new air conditioned modern hotel any day of the week.
We have stayed in many B&B’s, up and down the country and abroad, at on average about half the cost of one night at the Red Lion, and have found 95% of them superb with nearly always a breakfast served with so much on the plate it’s like food is going out of fashion.
So I personally wouldn’t award the Red Lion anything over a 2 star rating.

I have to say though, once again, that the staff were brilliant and they get a 4 star rating, and deserve to be in a much better working environment and better hotel, even if the guests don't deserve to be.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charlie F

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

England
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed at the red lion hotel had a very pleasureable stay - good location.
Ate in the restaurant which was very nice - service was excellent.
Bit slow on check in - to the point where you start to think something is wrong - very slow indeed.
Hotel has good character and has kept alot of original decor - but I do think it is time for a bit of a sprucing up. Bathrooms/room was clean and fresh.

In conclusion I wont be returning as I feel I can get a better quality hotel stay with more luxury for the same price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2012

On arrival on Friday 16th match we were impressed with the service we received by all staff on check in, rooms were clean but bathrooms need updating of which we understand that this was being delt with over the next few months, we had a meal which was well presented and very tasty, could not fault the services from warren and Sophie as they spend time with us giving us history of the hotel, after reading the reviews we were a bit aprehinsive, but we felt that the service we received was second to none.

I hope this helps anyone looking to stay in this hotel, as accommodation was reasonable value for money.

This building offered charm and character as is very old and quaint with much to look at and take in with much history and the staff very very attentive and knowledgable,when we stay in Colchester again this is one hotel we will contact

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Stu1860
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Me and my son stayed here after whilst visiting a friend in 2008. we had a suite and i must say the bed was fantastic, it was so comfy but the hotel itself was sadly past its time. Was more like something from faulty towers rather than luxery!

The price of the room was over priced and the breakfast was a rip off, the food was nice but the prices were stupid!

The location itself was good but very very noisy as when the clubs come out ( there is a nightclub right across the road so beware!!!!) you could hear everything going on from people having sex down the back alley to people being sick, was disgusting really.

The bathroom was dity but housekeeping was quite quick in correcting this when mentiond.

We had a meal in the resturant and it was just terrible, the steak was too chewy and it took ages to make chips and the prices were far too high for what there was on the plate. We went to burger king in the end!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family