“Overpriced - tired appearance”

Brook Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Halstead
“Overpriced - tired appearance”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have stayed in this hotel 4 times this year and have to say the whole experience has not been particularly professional.

On arrival on my first visit there was no-one on reception nor anyone in the nearby bar. I waited some significant time to be checked in.On my second visit I had to pluck someone from behind the bar to be checked in.

On my third visit I was told the key for my room had been stolen and therefore I had no key all the time, they could not find the spare key. More of a worry was when I suggested the former guest could come back and enter my room whilst I was out I was informed there was always someone on reception. This is definitely not the case.

Upon entering the building (by a side passage) it is not so clean with rubbish drifting in from the street. Not the best first impression. The carpets are holed in certain parts of the hotel the rooms have seen better days.

Over recent times it appears the hotel has upped its rates significantly, when I called to question this I was told they have to do this to 'improve the service' This seems a totally counter productive policy. I suspect the service and general appearance are no better despite the higher room rates.

In general not value for money with modest to poor customer service + there are more value for money options in Colchester. I refuse to pay the higher rates and go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Observer2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
littleborough
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My wife and I had an enjoyable holiday at this hotel in 2004 and so I had no hesitation in booking it again, but it wasn't the same. Things had changed. The manager was very pleasant and helpful and my bedroom was spacious with a comfortable bed but these, along with the location of the hotel, were the only good points.
The bedroom had a radiator which barely kept the room warm and the bathroom was freezing! The water was cold and even after running for five minutes it only became lukewarm. The heated towel rail didn't work. There were also no toiletries apart from one bottle of liquid soap due to an "economy measure."
The restaurant/bar was also cold and although I ate my breakfast there, suitably attired, I avoided the place at night time, preferring to find warmer places to eat and drink. Three restaurants and half a dozen pubs got the benefit of my custom.
The breakfast was a disappointment in that it was lacking certain options that have become the norm in most places. There was no grapefruit juice, no tomato juice, no grapefruit segments, no hash browns, or any other sort of potato, no fried bread, no honey.
What I had was good, so I had no real reason to complain, but for £9 I would have thought that there should have been a bigger choice.
Also, each night I was kept awake by people congregating outside the hotel at 2am, (two nights) and sirens and roadworks for a couple of hours on the third night.
I'd gone to Colchester to visit the Colne Valley Railway, which was excellent, so my purpose was fulfilled but, if I ever go to the area again, I will probably avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook the busy street
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank shakerLittleborough
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
I am very sorry to read that your second visit to The Brook Red Lion Hotel did not live up to your expectations following a previous visit in 2004 . However I am delighted that the General Manager Mr Vyas and his team looked after you well . I have spoken to him about the heating issues you have highlighted in relation to your room and the public areas and this has now been addressed . I am also sorry that on this occasion the breakfast did not include the items you have listed and have passed your comments on to Chef . He is, of course more than happy to accommodate any personal preferences and specific dietary requirements on request should you decide to return in the future.
The Brook Red Lion Hotel is in a central location in Colchester High Street and Brook Hotels works very closely with Colchester City Council and the Police to ensure that our guests are not disturbed by any noise from outside . Please accept my sincere apologies if you experienced this at the time of your stay .
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed in Room 10 on the 19 and 20 October. The hotel staff were very friendly and the meals were fantastic. We recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Colchester. We'll be staying at the hotel again in the near future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your recent stay with us . I will ,of course, pass your kind words on to Mr Vyas and his team and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Brook Red Lion Hotel very soon .
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Arrived early evening and was met by the manager who couldn't be more helpful even though he seemed to be the only member of staff on duty.
Decided to eat in the Parliament Restaurant and found the menu to have a couple of dishes out of the ordinary, very pleased with my order.
There was an ample cooked breakfast the following morning, freshly cooked and served by a waitress who obviously found the art of conversation somewhat tedious but hey, can't have everything!
If you're looking for a bit of peace in historic surroundings then this is for you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting such a lovely review it is greatly appreciated and I will pass your kind words on to Mr Vyas to share with his team especially Chef ! He will be delighted that you enjoyed his menu in The Parliament Restaurant .
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us at The Brook Red Lion Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area .
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This has to be the most disgusting hotel, the rooms are dirty and uncleaned, the toilets are filthy also no soap or toiletries . The food in the restaurant is appalling . Where is the hotel inspector. People are paying good money for this hotel , total rip off. NO ONE SHOULD TOUCH THIS HOTEL UNTILL IT HAS BEEN COMPLETLEY OVERHAULED AND INSPECTED?

Room Tip: Do not stay book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I am sorry to read of your disappointment following your stay with us in Sept . I can offer no excuse for your badly serviced room ,except to say that it is not the norm . But that the housekeeping team along with a new General Manager are now working very closely together to ensure that high standards are achieved and maintained consistently across all the bedrooms and public areas . I am disappointed that you did not approach the reception team at the time regarding your concerns as they would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative room . We do find that occasionally previous guests remove the dispensers for the shower gel and shampoo that we provide but this should not have been overlooked by the housekeeping team and it will be high priority check for the future

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel might be old and in the centre of town but thats all. Room had an odour from the bad plumbing, bath was dangerous if having a shower as no mat was provided to stand on and bath surface was slippery. As other reviewers have commented no toiletries in bathroom. Receptionist needs a course on politeness as well as the young lady in the breakfast room. As for the breakfast a no go poor.
For 3 stars it is more like a poor guest house.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank retireddublin98
Brentwood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

This is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

They were happy to take payment for the room and breakfast upfront when I arrived but refused to give me a VAT receipt until the morning.

There were no toiletries in the bathroom. No shampoo. No shower gel. Not even a bar of soap to wash your hands after using the toilet (fortunately I had some with me).

The bottom of the shower curtain was filthy and brown.

The remote control for the TV was missing. When I reported these issues to reception they brought me a remote control which didn't work because it was for a different make of TV.

The bottom edge of the pink valance on the bed was black with dirt.

The shower offered two options - an acceptable amount of pressure but with water that was too hot to touch, or a useable temperature but with only a dribble of water pressure. Maybe that's why they don't bother providing shower gel.

The enamel was badly chipped around the bath plug hole.

The toilet had lumps of broken porcelain lying in the bottom of the pan.

The iron that was brought to my room didn't work.

When I complained at checkout the manager sat staring at his computer screen instead of looking at me while I was talking to him. He showed no interest in my complaint. He refused to refund the cost of the room. He reluctantly refunded the cost of breakfast when I said I would not be eating there due to the wealth of hygiene issues I'd found in the bedroom.

Avoid this hotel at all costs. It's dirty, badly maintained, and the management don't care.

• Stayed September 2013