“Food only”

Brook Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 7 April 2014

OMG!!! i really dont know what to say apart from never again!.
The only thing that stopped us walking out of here without paying was the girl on reception/waitress who was dead friendly and nice to us.
The food was appauling we had two steaks, we asked for rump was told not got any so given sirlion both ordered medium rare when they came were clearly rare and the worse cut of steak possible full of gristle, the mushrooms were just fried mush soaked in fat and grease. One of the party asked for peppercorn sauce when this arrived it tasted like corn flour and was very pale (milk looking) and luke warm even the wine over priced and we were told they might not have the bottle we wanted it was served to us in a wine bucket full of cold water rather than ice.
If you want a decent meal dont waste your time going here unless you want poor quality of food and a bad tummy for days later like myself.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicolakate1
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your recent meal with us in the Parliament Restaurant . I have noted your feedback and will be discussing the issues you have raised here with both the General Manager and Chef, but had you spoken to the restaurant manager at the time, Chef, would of course have changed the steaks for you. However , in the absence of any other complaints or reported illness from any of our other guests or diners it is ,of course, possible that your illness at the time may have had an alternative source .

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The personal was willing,gentle and helpful.The location perfectly close to important places.It's a pitty that I havent got an opportunity to try their food.Neverthless,I liked the hotel's old look!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us . I am delighted that you appreciated the rich heritage and history of the Red Lion and that Mr Vyas , the General Manager and his team made you welcome and comfortable during your visit . As we are in the process of introducing a new menu we would be delighted if you would try the new dishes in The Parliament Restaurant should you return to stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just stayed at this hotel for two nights and we have to say that we are very disappointed. For a building with so much character and history, the room lacked any of that. (Room 9) The fan in the bathroom does not work, there's mildew on the tiles in the shower aswell as cracked tiles around the sink. There was no hot water at 7am and after calling reception who said they would send someone up straight away... No one came.... We went down to reception only to be told "You can use the shower in room 23, as they have just checked out"??!!
The top of the wardrobe was thick with dust and the top drawer of the dressing table still had the underpants left behind from the previous guests (They are probably still there now)
Finally at around 8am on our second day, we were woken up by the very loud sound of a knewmatic drill below our window.. It would have been nice if upon booking the room we were told of the construction work going on below!
I look forward to the management reply.. As I'm afraid word of mouth is a powerful tool and we will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I've not eaten here so can't comment on the food, the beds are comfy, it's very noisy because of the night clubs but I would definatly stay again because the staff are friendly and it is a very interesting building.

• Stayed: March 2014
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Brook Red Lion Hotel . I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that you found the staff both friendly and welcoming . As we are in the process of implementing a new Menu ,we would be delighted to welcome you to eat with us in the Parliament Restaurant should you decide to return to the Hotel in the future .

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel through the website Haunted Rooms as I wanted something fairly local but a little different for my partners birthday night out. We stayed there on a Friday Night.

Within a few hours of making the reservation, the hotel contacted me to see if there was anything else I wanted and I arranged for a chilled bottle of bubbly to be waiting for us on arrival.

We didn't realize that there was no parking at the hotel. Colchester has a difficult one way system that we got stuck in twice, but the hotel receptionist said that guests can park in the NCP Car Park in Osborne St nearby and uts £4.50 for 24 hours. Be warned, if you are disabled, have difficulty walking or have heavy luggage/pushchairs or babies to carry, the Car Park is about 7 mins walk away through the shopping centre; there are roads to cross and stairs to climb, although there are lifts (but the Car Park ones only go to even floors - not odd!) There are also stairs to climb to get up to reception, and no lift at the hotel.

The staff were very friendly and helpful at check in and our room, No.7 ( with the 4 poster bed) was clean and warm. The bottle of champagne was chilling on the side as I had asked.

The extractor fan in the bathroom made an awful noise (like geese had invaded the bathroom) when we switched it on - it badly needed oiling! After a while though the noise stopped and it worked OK. We also had problems getting any hot water in the shower. We informed reception, and staff did come and fix the problem immediately. We also told them about the fan.

The chap on reception was also running the bar, but as soon as he saw me waiting to order a drink he came over. My partner who arrived back a bit later, had to wait about 10 mins to get served.

Dinner was OK but nothing special. The menu had changed from the one advertised outside. We both had Pate to start which was very good. I ordered Lamb Shank and my partner had Pork Belly. Both main meals were meant to have a sauce or Jus but this was weak and flavourless on both our meals. The meat was well cooked, as were the vegetables but overall both our meals were bland and under seasoned. The service was prompt and friendly but considering there were only 2 sets of guests eating they were not busy. We skipped Dessert and had a liqueur Coffee to finish.

The room was very quiet, no noise from other guests or staff, although you could hear some faint noise from the nightclub opposite. The bed was very comfortable indeed and we slept very well. Unfortunately there were no sightings of ghosts or anything unusual during our stay!

The place is very quirky - the original features and beams are great. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is not bad, but it lacks the "Wow" factor. The hotel could do with a "makeover" as it feels a little tired and worn out - there was danger tape on the holes in the carpet!

Overall, an enjoyable stay, if you want somewhere with Character, but if you want good food, try the high street!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us so comprehensively and I am pleased that on balance you enjoyed your visit with us at The Brook Red Lion Hotel .I have noted your comments on your dining experience and as we are in the process of introducing an exciting new menu, on your return ,the Parliament Restaurant will definitely give you the “wow” factor you seek .

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed in Colchester for two nights and dined at Red Lion both evenings. The food was superb and well presented. On the second evening the chef was kind enough to produce a starter we requested which wasn't on the menu.This was made possible by the aid of a very pleasant young lady who provided excellent service.
She is attending college to further her career in the hotel and restaurant trade, we wish her great success for the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking a moment to post such a complimentary review following your stay with us at The Red Lion . I will ,of course, pass your kind words on to the General Manager, Mr Vyas to share with his team particularly Chef and I do hope to welcome you back to Colchester very soon .Should you decide to visit one of our Hotels again in the future please feel free to contact us directly at info@brook-hotels.co.uk to discuss any particular food or dietary requirements for may have during your stay as all our Chefs are more than happy to adjust the menus to suit your taste.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I am sorry to say that this was probably one of the worst hotels I've ever been to.
While I really liked the old 'historic' environment and ambiance, it would have been great if
the rooms had facilities closer to modern times.
I could actually hear to guy next door snoring, while lying in my own bed.
There was even somebody who complained I was making noise, because 'I was talking too hard on my mobile phone in my room'. Come on, how terrible can it be? There is NO noise isolation.

In terms of staff, they were generally friendly. I guess they cannot really change anything to the facilities. Though one girl was particularly rude, but that was only the first night.

In terms of breakfast, other facilities, they charge 10 pounds for the WiFi and 9 pounds for breakfast. That is really why this hotel gets a terrible rating, instead of a poor!
Seriously, invest in this hotel, before it falls apart!

Room Tip: Just don't go here, go to the North HIll, Wivenhoe or Gordon's