“Disappointing stay.”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Colchester
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Disappointing stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed overnight. The room itself was ok, but the mattress was poor, and didn't invite sleep. The room faced the high street, and no one warned us bout the nightclub opposite the hotel that was in full swing on a Tuesday night. So sleep eluded us until well after 1am. The hotel decor, needed updating. Although this is an old building, the carpets and walls could have done with a refresh. The room opposite ours had a door that didn't even fit the frame, and you could see into that room from the corridor. Breakfast was average. We ordered coffee and tea and it took 45 minutes to arrive. full English breakfast was our choice, once it arrived, it was average. My partner didn't even get any toast until he asked, and the waitress looked at him gone out and said, oh, i will ask the kitchen if you've had any. Looks lovely from the outside, but i doubt we will stay here again if we come back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us . As a city centre Hotel it is obviously quite difficult for The Red Lion to control the noise from other local businesses on the High Street but the local council and police do work hard to ensure the strict guidelines and curfew on noise is adhered to. I am sorry if on this particular occasion you were disturbed and should you return we are always happy to try and accommodate our guests in a room quieter room subject to availability. I can only apologise for your disappointment in our breakfast service . I have passed your comments regarding this to Mr Vyas , the General Manager so that he can discuss your experience with Chef and his restaurant team but with a new kitchen team we have already seen significant improvements in both service and standards recently .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

On the positive side, this hotel is a genuine Tudor building, which of course has lots of charm, and the staff is pleasant and helpful. The location on the High Street is very convenient, tho' if you are a light sleeper, you will find the noise from the nearby pub very trying. The interior is rather shabby and has been subject to some genuinely terrible "mod cons" updating. The room was very small (to get in the wardrobe we had to shift the arm chair) and the mattress lumpy; we had to ask for a second towel the second night (but they were nice big fluffy towels); we were given only one water glass (and it was not changed).

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

we stayed in the Red Lion as we were going to a 60th birthday party and had tried to get in the Geoge but that was full due to a wedding. how sorry were we. firstly when we went into the hotel there was a down and out drunk on the step who had to move for us to get in, when we found the reception desk the staff were more interested in being on their phones than trying to help us. we got given our key and got pointed at to where we should walk to find our room! when we found it, after going past ironing boards just lying on the floor and hoovers plus a pile of broken irons outside our room we went it. the bed was nice and clean and thats were it stopped. the shower was that hot we couldnt use it and the toilet was loose, the extractor fan sounded as if it was going to explode it was that loud and the room was dirty and had a musty smell, the carpets on the stairs are thredbare nearly to the point were you can actually see the stair underneath it. when we came back after being out we had to wait for nearly half an hour before someone came down to let us in. we ordered the full English breakfast, the bacon was so salty you couldnt it and the sausages had a strange taste on them. we tried to explain to the waiter but i dont really think he understood what we were trying to say and just smiled at us!we had parked in the NCP mulit storey as the hotel had a deal with them, but when we tried to get out the next day the passes they gave us wouldnt work and wanted us to put £44 in the meter before the barrier would go up. there was also another couple who also could not get out of the car park. the hold ups were unbelivable, we rang the hotel and tried to speak to the manager but quite convenientaly he couldnt or wouldnt come to the phone leaving the poor young girl on reception to deal with it all. she couldnt apologise enough but it wasnt her fault she was just doing as she had been told. by the time we got back to the car pack there were cars everywhere trying to get out but couldnt because both exist were blocked!if you do stay here dont use that car park or make sure you get given the right token before you leave the hotel as it is quite a walk back. if i went back to colchester i would defo not stay here.

Room Tip: if you do stay the rooms at the back of the hotel are a lot quieter
3 Thank gillian w

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The decor and furnishings could do with a freshen up but the lovely staff made up for this as they were all lovely and couldn't do enough to help.Room small but adequate and a couple of minor issues were sorted at once would definately return

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DebKnibbs
Steyning, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived yesterday lunchtime, checked in,parked in the nearby NCP car park (special hotel rate of £4.50 for 24 hours) and walked the 5 minutes short cut back. Served an excellent sandwich snack.
The room had all we needed and the en suite was immaculate.
Our room was on the High Street side, so we expected the usual High Street (lively) noise.
Perhaps light sleepers might prefer to use earplugs. We didn't and weren't really bothered by the football fans and/or party goers.
The beds were amazingly comfortable and all the linen was good quality.
Breakfast was excellent and the staff extremely helpful. Thank you for a very pleasant stay.
If we visit Colchester again, we will definitely book again! :)
PS We were told that secondary glazing is being installed and that bedside lamps/lights are being purchased.
We sincerely appreciate the efforts in updating and maintaining such an extraordinary piece of
History.

• Stayed June 2014
South Ockendon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

It has taken me ages to decide what rating to give me stay and unfortunately, it is lower than I first expected it to be. You will read why.
I stayed over the last weekend for my birthday, as I have wanted to go there for years as I love ghost stories. Due to this, I overlooked alot of disappointments as I was viewing it emotionally.
As we stayed at the weekend and had a front room, we had the noise of the nightclub over the road, along with the pub and the taxi rank directly outside the hotel. With the windows being single glazed, it didn't keep out much sound. I overlooked this as it was our decision to stay even though we weren't aware.
So I turn the tv on...intermitantly there was a buzzing from it , so that stopped me watching any programmes. Then I could hear our neighbours from the next room talking, so I was contending with a club, pub, taxi rank, buzzing, and people talking. Not relaxing at all.
I still overlooked these as I was happy to be in the hotel...then I started noticing other things.
The room cost £85. The light fixtures were dirty, the bathroom door didn't stay open so I had to prop it open with my bag, this meant anytime I wanted something, I had to go into the bathroom for it. It cant automatically shut to keep the steam from the shower in as there is no sign to state that. A simple door stop would have been adequate. Also, the wardrobe door was missing a knob to open it. I then started thinking, is this really worth the money I paid? Considering I have stayed in better for cheaper.
Anyway, I woke up in the morning hungry, and went for breakfast. I ordered a full english but without egg, unfortunately, my plate was only half full and looked more a la carte. I would have thought that as I paid for breakfast, maybe I could have been offered an extra bit of bacon or another sausage. But given the customer service of the waitress, I didn't expect much. What I did have tasted nice though.
As I left, I wasn't asked how my night was or if everything was ok, which is probably due to the man knowing he wouldn't get a positive response.
But anyway, I have left the hotel and never to return again. I'm genuinely gutted to write this but paranormal fan or not, this just isn't worth the money.

Room Tip: If you are not staying for the notariaty of being in a haunted hotel, don't waste your money
3 Thank mike h
Essex, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Skirt around base of bed was filthy, blood spots on the duvet cover, cracked tile hanging out in shower, exposed plug socket hanging off the wall which was repaired but not very well. Staff miserable and room VERY noisey due to club across road. And no hotel parking anywhere!!!! Be repaired to get a ticket, and first breakfast we had was cold and not very good quality.

• Stayed May 2014