All reviews resident ghost afternoon tea sunday lunch sandwiches historic hotel tudor building four poster bed lovely room character angela venue
Reviewed 23 February 2016 via mobile

Long wait for food in restaurant even though we were only ones there.Food was standard pub fayre but they were good portions and it was tasty and hot.
Staff not really interested and poor selection of lager. Looks a bit tired.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2016

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed dining with us in our Parliament Restaurant and I can only apologise for any delays in serving you promptly on this occasion. Thank you for bringing this to my attention today and although the menu is made freshly and to order by Chef I do appreciate your feedback so that we can improve our time to service in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2016

The partying on the street did not go quiet until 4am. Despite my attempts to adjust the radiator settings, the it kicked out high heat the entire evening. I tried balancing t he open window for cool air with closing it to keep out some noise, but it didn't really matter either way. It was a hot and loud night. When I checked in, I asked for a room at the back (per other reviews on TA) but was told they were full up. I have not seen a single other guest. Breakfast this morning was completely empty. The breakfast was the usual fare: full English with choice of cereals and juices.

Room tip: Must have room off the street. Avoid this hotel if that is not an option.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2016

The Brook Red Lion Hotel is a city centre Hotel situated in the heart of Colchester but of course the noise from other High Street businesses is of great concern to us. It is very important to us that our residents are able to rest and sleep undisturbed whilst staying in the Hotel and I can only apologise if this was not the case during your visit. Although the noise for the High Street is not in our control ,we have always worked closely with Colchester City Council and the Police to ensure that their curfew guidelines are adhered to strictly and following your comments on this site today we will make enquiries about the lateness of the noise you have mentioned. Please accept my sincere apologies for your overall disappointment but I have passed your feedback regarding the radiator and breakfast on to the General Manager to address with her team .

Reviewed 19 February 2016

I really liked this lovely comfortable hotel,cosy and warm and welcoming hotel,we also had coffee and tea in our room.It was such a cold day and the room was warm and inviting,a perfect base whist travelling,to meet up with old friends for drink and dining in colchester town.

Room tip: Not suitable for elderly & Wheelchairs because of stairs getting into the building & round.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2016

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us and I am pleased that you appreciated the delightful character and charm of our beautiful and historic building and that it was a wonderful and cosy retreat for you on such a cold February day . It was a pleasure to look after you on this occasion and I do hope that Mrs Earle and her team can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again very soon .

Reviewed 17 February 2016

The staff were accommodating and friendly, obviously doing their best. Nice clean towels and a good shower. Beds good and firm. But the chairs in the room were cheap and had not been recovered for decades. They were worn through and truly filthy with stains. The room smelled musty and I realized in the early hours when I woke that it was the stale smell of cigarettes. I was thinking of checking myself out despite being tired, when I then saw a mouse run across the floor. Turned over and went to sleep instead. I am an old soldier and not fussy, so this was very disappointing: run down, drab, and stale. The owners should be embarrassed. The place deserves more.

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Mr Brooke
I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for you poor experience whilst staying at The Brook Red Lion Hotel in Colchester . As a small privately owned group of Hotels we do value all feedback that we receive either directly or via this site. Although the General Manager, Mrs Earle would have been more than happy to speak to you at the time , we felt it important to contact you directly and the Chairman of Brook Hotels has emailed you personally.
The Brook Red Lion Hotel is a totally non-smoking Hotel and I am pleased to say that we are in the process of renovating the bedrooms, decor and furniture of this beautiful Grade 1 Listed building.
we are naturally concerned about the mouse you saw and our pest control company has already visited the property. Their visits have been increased to ensure this is no longer an issue.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

Arrivired Friday night was welcomed by very friendly staff and showed to room 4 it was a nice little room bathroom was tired and needed a good makeover bit shabby bath discoloured bath panel need urgent replacement. Went down for food both of are meals were very good .breakfast very good .in the night when chuck out time for clubs as so loud could not sleep from 1 to 4 am but all in all we didn't pay a lot of money and being in a town centre what do u expect next time a room out the back would be best

Room tip: Get a room not on high street
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2016

I am pleased that you enjoyed your Valentine weekend break with us at The Brook Red Lion Hotel and I can only apologise that noise from the High Street prevented you from sleeping soundly .I am sure that you can appreciate that although this is out of our control, it is important to us that our guests and residents sleep in the Hotel undisturbed . Therefore, we do work closely with Colchester City Council to ensure that their strict noise guidelines are adhered to and I do appreciate your feedback relating to this. Of course , should you return to stay with us again please feel free to contact the reception team directly as we would be happy to try and allocate you a room to the rear of the Hotel subject to availability . I am pleased to say that we are in the process of updating the bathrooms as part of a rolling programme of improvements but I have noted your concerns and will raise them as a priority with the General Manager, Mrs Earle.