All reviews resident ghost afternoon tea sunday lunch four poster bed sandwiches wooden beams historic hotel character angela venue
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Saw an advertisement for a wedding deal at a cost of £1,000 with everything included,my son was interested in this so we decided to get more information, we met the hotel manager Sylvia, she told us that she would put a “ package “ together and email the information to us the following week, we were a bit surprised that Sylvia didn’t know what a wedding breakfast was, she was talking in terms of eggs & bacon, but decided to leave things with her.
The following week we heard nothing, so I telephoned Sylvia to ask what was happening and why she hadn’t been in touch, she said her lap top was broken and she would be in touch, but she didn’t contact us again.
We eventually got the menus which were totally incorrect, we told Sylvia that we had lost faith in her and wanted to cancel the booking and get our £250.00 deposit refunded, this was refused, I then involved the manager Sam to get his views and asked again for our deposit back, this was again refused.
I would say to everyone not to book your wedding or anything else at this place, I wouldn’t trust them to correctly order a happy meal at McDonald’s let alone a wedding.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank smoothiund
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

To any one reading this review the reviewer and her daughter in law to be have both posted comments separately and we would like to reassure you that their comments do not reflect the Weddings or Functions held at the Brook Red Lion Hotel. Whilst this reviewer is entitled to express their opinion,

Brook Hotels would like to state the following
In relation to their review.

1) In relation to the Wedding that had been arranged at the hotel. The guest paid a non-refundable £250 deposit.
2) The guest then changed their mind and decided to no longer have their small wedding breakfast with us.
3) As this decision was no fault of the hotels but their personal one , the deposit is non refundable.
4) The Head Office team also tried to communicate this with the guest on several occasions.
5) All subsequent meetings with General Manager also explained that the deposit was non refundable and since that time all efforts to contact the guest have been unsuccessful.
6) I have spoken to both the General Manager and to the Group Business Development Manager who handled this matter professionally and politely at all times.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

booked afternoon tea with presecco for myself and 3 friends at 1pm, we left at 5pm. It was so relaxed and in a wonderful setting with all the local history, the building was fasinating. Although we tried we were unable to finish the wonderful selection of cakes and sandwiches, staying so long we did however, manager several tops ups of tea and coffee. It was very relaxed we were taken care of but not hurried, we had a lovely afternoon. I will definately be returning.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
DUmmat, Director at Brook Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2017

Dear Mel B
Thank you so much for coming to the hotel and experiencing the restaurant and our wonderful surroundings for yourself.
I am delighted to read that you had such a relaxing afternoon catching up over Aftetnoon Tea and Chef will be very pleased to read your wonderful comments today.
I have asked the General Manager to share your kind words with all her team and of course we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

I was in 2 minds about staying in the Red Lion after reading some of the awful reviews, but I'm glad I wasn't put off by them. So what, if there's duct tape on the stair carpet, I would much rather that money was spent on keeping as many details as possible for this almost 600 year building than having a new stair carpet. It's amazing how the refurbishment has been done, it's so evident as you walk up the stairs to the reception and see the blend of the old and the new. We were greeted by Alexandra and Sylvia, both very friendly and efficient members of staff. The room, which Louisa kept very clean and tidy, was spacious with a bath and shower. Adam was also on hand to help with any questions and offer friendly advice. Breakfast was fantastic, there was everything we could have possibly wanted. The place is full of character, which I find far preferable to faceless modern hotels and the location is perfect. We will definitely stay there again. Thanks to all the staff, the weekend was a unique opportunity to be able to take a step back in time and imagine what it must have been like there 600 years ago.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Took my mum for afternoon tea as part of her 50th Birthday present and it was the best afternoon tea I have ever been too. The selection of sandwiches and cakes were absolutely perfect we ate the lot lol had to roll ourselves home! The glass of prosecco was a nice touch too. Definitely would recommend, I will be returning for sure :)

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Nicole E
I am delighted to read that you and your mother enjoyed her 50th Afternoon Tea Birthday celebration with us. Our new Chef will be especially delighted to read your comments and of course looks forward to looking after you the next time you book.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Booked in for lunch on Sunday
Greeted by a very polite receptionist who guided us to the restaurant.
Greeted again by our server and given menu to brouse was offered drinks from the bar while we waited, we ordered and the food was very good and plentiful.
Restaurant was quite empty and lacked a little atmosphere but had background music which was not to my taste but OK.
Service was good and food arrived in timely fashion.
A very pleasant experience and would recommend a try.

Room Tip: Did not use rooms only restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve A.
Thank you for your wonderful review and feedback following your recent dining experience.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our menu and will pass your kind compliments on to Chef.
Thank you also for your personal recommendation and of course we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.