“Terrible Service”

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have just returned from visiting The George and all I can say is that the management need to get rid of their breakfast serving staff ! They are appalling !
We have visited twice before and the staff were good, this time the only person we knew was the waiter who also did the carvery, and as usual he was lovely but the others were bad. We stayed for 3 nights so that meant 3 breakfasts, not once did we get a hot tea or coffee, each day they were cold and horrible, spoons, milk, cups and saucers missing off of the table, staff not caring and definitely not smiling . We asked for poached eggs on toast each morning, morning one - not very hot, morning two - only one egg on a piece of DRY toast, third morning - three eggs but NO toast , waitress said " you do your own toast over there " charming ! Same waitress brought our tea out, cold of course and no milk on the table, I asked for milk and she said " take your cups over there and use the milk from the table , will bring out the jugs in a while". Such service don't you think !! Same waitress talking to another guest who was having to use his fork to stir his cold coffee - " sir
, I see you are using a fork to stir your coffee, would you like a spoon ? " the man replied " no! I am getting used to making do ( said sarcastically ) " the waitress said " ok then " and she stayed standing by the desk and did nothing ! You just can't believe it can you , but this is all true.
Our room was lovely and clean so not complaints there but will we ever stay here again ??? We complained to the receptionist so am awaiting a response from the manager , that is , if she ever did anything about it.

Room Tip: Quieter in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night & was pleasantly surprised at how cute & quirky the hotel is. It had a lovely ambiance. The room was large & comfortable. We had a lovely lunch when we arrived & decided to eat there also in the evening however this was a little disappointing compared to the food served at lunchtime, we ordered the special ribeye steak which was extremely small for a £20 plate, however what I found really unacceptable was that the onion rings were not fresh but frozen. When the waiter asked if the meal was ok I did complain about the onion rings however he clearly did not care for my opinion & did not even respond. Very disappointing reaction when up until then we had been having a very pleasant stay. The following morning we had breakfast which was included in the price of the hotel however again sadly this was not up to standard, & despite ordering a full English breakfast ended up with a child portion of food on the plate. It's a shame as elements of the stay was lovely however dinner & breakfast really let them down

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela S
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have just come back from a short break to the George in Colchester. To be honest I booked it as the price was very good and the location perfect for us. After reading some of the reviews I was slightly nervous but needn't have been. Check in was good. We booked 3 rooms and did ask to change one of them due to it being located just at the front of the hotel overlooking the High Street and we were worried about the noise from the local clubs. This was not a problem and we had 3 lovely rooms. Comfortable beds, nice clean bathroom and space for everything. Yes the floor boards creak and everything is wonky but that just adds to the charm of the place! The only thing I would say is that the rooms are hot and stuffy and the air conditioning too noisy to use but the windows open so not too much of an issue. Breakfast was good but the service a little slow and smiles a little lacking. I would certainly not mind coming back to stay here. One other thing to mention, we were hoping to have the carvery lunch on Sunday but as there were 10 of us and you cannot book this proved to be difficult plus it is only served in the bar/lounge area and I for one do not want to eat my roast dinner sitting perched on the edge of a sofa and leaning over a low coffee table, I found that quite a bizarre idea.

Room Tip: Do ask for a quiet room. Check in opens at 2pm and I would advise you check in promptly so if you ne...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Grantham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Have read previous reviews and all I can say is it must be in the eye of the beholder! I stayed for two nights at The George and I was very satisfied by the service and the room. Ok, the wallpaper had come away slightly next to the window but the bathroom was lovely, bed comfy, wi-fi brilliant and fast. I can't comment on breakfast as I never eat it, but I had dinner both nights in the restaurant and it was delicious. The waiters were friendly and couldn't do enough to help. I had the set menu which had a good selection, and as I ate between 6 and 7pm, the cost was reduced. The ambience in the bar was very cosy - fire blazing away if you were cold. The light in the bathroom flickered but when I reported it, it was dealt with in a timely manner and the reception staff were so helpful I didn't feel any hesitation asking for anything I wanted. And smack bang in the middle of town with free parking! Thank you to The George.

Room Tip: i had a room that looked out on a flat roof and was there for Wednesday and Thursday night. It was...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank Jacqueline Vict... W
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Where do I start? The reception service that hardly exists? The dirty rooms, no elevators to the third floor? The lousy breakfast?

I guess that there is little competition for hotels in Colchester as the demand is high (Uni of Essex, Oldest Town in England, etc.) and the hotels are few and they allow themselves to provide well below average services.

The communication with the reception took place every 3-4 days, getting hold of someone on phone (after I received an email which said I should call) was impossible as the call on hold lasted up to 5 min. The last day of our stay we had left some plastic folders in order to do some shopping as we had just an hour to do that before all shops close. In the rush of checking out the next morning the folders ended up not being picked up. When the Uni called to enquire whether they could pick them up for us and mail then, the hotel claimed there are no folders…
The rooms are quite stuffy and not very clean. The bathroom, in particular. I had to walk up to third floor (I must say the person from the reception who seems to be a jack of all trades was very kind to help me with one of the bags). The hallways are full of unexpected wholes in the floor that are masked with carpeting but still unpleasant and dangerous to come across. I understand that this is a heritage hotel but I have been to even older buildings that have been very well decorated inside.

Breakfast modest, I asked for an egg omelette with cheese and was brought a huge plate with a spoonful of an omelette. The tea was cold.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Lekica

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Hotel is in the best position for Colchester, bang in the centre of town. I booked a suit for a Saturday away to visit Colchester. Upon entering the hotel the staff were very welcoming.
I had booked a bottle of Champaign to be in the room when I arrived, unfortunately this was not done and I had to then ask at reception for this to happen. The room was very, very tired. painted in peach, cracks over every wall and chandeliers that was almost at waist level, making us walk around them in order to walk through the rooms. the TV in the lounge area did not work and looked like it had been purchased in the 80s. the heating turned itself off during the night and left us very cold in the morning. Breakfast in the morning was ok, we had yellow stuff in our milk and service was terrible.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel, the rates paid for a 3 star hotel are too expensive for the service and décor. this is set in a great location however, I hope they improve things.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gandia, Valencia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

To be fair we chose this hotel due to lack of availability elsewhere in the town. It's in a convenient location in the centre of town but the drawback is the subsequent noise from being in the centre of town. Not much sleep had due to club/pub-goers, street cleaners, delivery drivers, early morning buses, etc. That was from outside. Within, we had to listen to the insomniac upstairs pacing up and down on the creaking floorboards at all hours and the lads in the room next door discussing their recent conquests and noise of their macerator at 2am as they returned back to the hotel after a night on the town. Paperthin (wattle and daub?) walls.
Elsewhere the staff were very pleasant and helpful, although the loud waitress at breakfast was more suited to a transport cafe than a hotel restaurant. Perhaps the fact that a gang of contractors were staying at the hotel and attended breakfast in their dirty working overalls and hi-vis jackets lent to that transport-cafe atmosphere. Having said that, breakfast was fine, good ingredients and served hot. Would prefer to help ourselves to tea and coffee and not expect to wait for the waitress to 'do the rounds'.
The lounges are very comfortable and the food available was good value. Good bar staff during our stay.
The evening meal in the restaurant was also very good and the choice of menu and wines more than adequate. Good service from the Italian restaurant staff.
Room clean, mattress on bed very poor, limited electrical outlets, tea and coffee facilities in the room were of good quality and welcome, as was the iron and ironing board and trouser press.
Must comment again on the staff. The duty manager and head of housekeeping were very professional and sorted out a problem with our uncomfortable bed very efficiently. I also saw the same manager, on 2 occasions, expertly and diplomatically, handle some difficult customers. To sum up....good staff, not so good hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple