“Nice room, reception staff unfriendly and TOO HOT!”

George Hotel of Colchester
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
York, United Kingdom
“Nice room, reception staff unfriendly and TOO HOT!”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

As a pub, when you first walk in it was very cosy and when we got to our rooms they were set out in a similar way. Room's were nice, with plenty of storage and the beams were a nice touch. Bathroom wasn't up to the same standard though and was slightly more run down, for instance, very old shower with not much power and no tiles behind the toilet, just a wooden panel that looked like it was halfway through being done up. Breakfast on a morning was ok, staff were very attentive asking if anyone wanted more tea/coffee or if the food was ok. Good selection of cooked breakfast and also fruit, yoghurts, cereal etc. I only had scrambled eggs which weren't the best I've ever had but the room/breakfast was fairly cheap.

Staff on reception were very rude and unfriendly. As it was a business trip, our finance office should've sorted out our payment; it was made on the company credit card so we could'nt bring it with us to pay at the hotel. There was a lot of confusion as our invoice said we'd paid but then they insisted a payment hadn't been made. Whether this was the fault of our company for not allowing the hotel to take the payment straight away or the hotel's for not taking the payment, I do not know. Regardless, the two girls on reception did not handle it very well and were rude with us and acted as if we were being a nuisance when we were doing our best to sort the situation out. In the morning, same girls were on reception and I got no greeting from them even though they looked at me. When we checked out they were confused as to why there was still no payment (they had agreed to ring our finance office that morning)...it was less than 24 hours ago, surely they must remember the situation!

Room's were also far too hot! It was unbearable and several other colleagues, as well as myself, could not sleep despite turning the heating down. The same girls on reception asked how our stay was and when we mentioned it was too hot, rather than saying they'd take the comments on board they replied in a rude manner saying they needed it on as it was winter. If it's too hot your customers can't sleep (which sleeping is the main reason most people stay in a hotel) you're doing something wrong!

I probably would stay here again if it was for another business trip, but based on the reception I wouldn't for any other occasion.

Room Tip: I had a room by the road side and had no trouble sleeping because of that, it was just the heat!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip and found the hotel very welcoming and safe for female travellers. The hotel was busy at all times with more staff on hand for advice etc than I have seen in most hotels. The lounges were full to overflowing during "afternoon tea" times giving a lovely family atmosphere. Other sitting areas were jotted around the place where people sat quietly using the internet access/working. Yes, plenty of stairs and if we return we would ask for assistance with our luggage next time.

Room Tip: Room 417 is at the top far end of the corridor and is furthest away from the main hub of the hotel i...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Glenbrook, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Everything about this hotel is great. Its old and creaky and the floor is uneven in some places, and stairs (lots of stairs) but I love it. Our room was large and very comfortable very well set out, the bathroom was a good size. We stayed 2 nights and the service was fantastic, the staff lovely and very helpful. Breakfast was ok, a good selection although the eggs were a real disappointment. The waitress was always happy and restaurant was well set out. We had one evening meal at the hotel in the bar/lounge area, great atmosphere, and enjoyable meal hot and delicious.

Room Tip: The stairs could be a problem if you older, so ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have just returned from visiting The George and all I can say is that the management need to get rid of their breakfast serving staff ! They are appalling !
We have visited twice before and the staff were good, this time the only person we knew was the waiter who also did the carvery, and as usual he was lovely but the others were bad. We stayed for 3 nights so that meant 3 breakfasts, not once did we get a hot tea or coffee, each day they were cold and horrible, spoons, milk, cups and saucers missing off of the table, staff not caring and definitely not smiling . We asked for poached eggs on toast each morning, morning one - not very hot, morning two - only one egg on a piece of DRY toast, third morning - three eggs but NO toast , waitress said " you do your own toast over there " charming ! Same waitress brought our tea out, cold of course and no milk on the table, I asked for milk and she said " take your cups over there and use the milk from the table , will bring out the jugs in a while". Such service don't you think !! Same waitress talking to another guest who was having to use his fork to stir his cold coffee - " sir
, I see you are using a fork to stir your coffee, would you like a spoon ? " the man replied " no! I am getting used to making do ( said sarcastically ) " the waitress said " ok then " and she stayed standing by the desk and did nothing ! You just can't believe it can you , but this is all true.
Our room was lovely and clean so not complaints there but will we ever stay here again ??? We complained to the receptionist so am awaiting a response from the manager , that is , if she ever did anything about it.

Room Tip: Quieter in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night & was pleasantly surprised at how cute & quirky the hotel is. It had a lovely ambiance. The room was large & comfortable. We had a lovely lunch when we arrived & decided to eat there also in the evening however this was a little disappointing compared to the food served at lunchtime, we ordered the special ribeye steak which was extremely small for a £20 plate, however what I found really unacceptable was that the onion rings were not fresh but frozen. When the waiter asked if the meal was ok I did complain about the onion rings however he clearly did not care for my opinion & did not even respond. Very disappointing reaction when up until then we had been having a very pleasant stay. The following morning we had breakfast which was included in the price of the hotel however again sadly this was not up to standard, & despite ordering a full English breakfast ended up with a child portion of food on the plate. It's a shame as elements of the stay was lovely however dinner & breakfast really let them down

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela S
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have just come back from a short break to the George in Colchester. To be honest I booked it as the price was very good and the location perfect for us. After reading some of the reviews I was slightly nervous but needn't have been. Check in was good. We booked 3 rooms and did ask to change one of them due to it being located just at the front of the hotel overlooking the High Street and we were worried about the noise from the local clubs. This was not a problem and we had 3 lovely rooms. Comfortable beds, nice clean bathroom and space for everything. Yes the floor boards creak and everything is wonky but that just adds to the charm of the place! The only thing I would say is that the rooms are hot and stuffy and the air conditioning too noisy to use but the windows open so not too much of an issue. Breakfast was good but the service a little slow and smiles a little lacking. I would certainly not mind coming back to stay here. One other thing to mention, we were hoping to have the carvery lunch on Sunday but as there were 10 of us and you cannot book this proved to be difficult plus it is only served in the bar/lounge area and I for one do not want to eat my roast dinner sitting perched on the edge of a sofa and leaning over a low coffee table, I found that quite a bizarre idea.

Room Tip: Do ask for a quiet room. Check in opens at 2pm and I would advise you check in promptly so if you ne...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Grantham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Have read previous reviews and all I can say is it must be in the eye of the beholder! I stayed for two nights at The George and I was very satisfied by the service and the room. Ok, the wallpaper had come away slightly next to the window but the bathroom was lovely, bed comfy, wi-fi brilliant and fast. I can't comment on breakfast as I never eat it, but I had dinner both nights in the restaurant and it was delicious. The waiters were friendly and couldn't do enough to help. I had the set menu which had a good selection, and as I ate between 6 and 7pm, the cost was reduced. The ambience in the bar was very cosy - fire blazing away if you were cold. The light in the bathroom flickered but when I reported it, it was dealt with in a timely manner and the reception staff were so helpful I didn't feel any hesitation asking for anything I wanted. And smack bang in the middle of town with free parking! Thank you to The George.

Room Tip: i had a room that looked out on a flat roof and was there for Wednesday and Thursday night. It was...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends