George Hotel of Colchester
Holiday Inn Express Colchester(Dedham)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$88
US$75
Priceline
Very Good 4/5
Holiday Inn Colchester(Eight Ash Green)
US$83
Priceline
  • Pool
US$282
US$97
PremierInn.com
Great 4.5/5
Premier Inn Colchester (A12) Hotel(Colchester)(Great Value!)
US$83
PremierInn.com
Great 4.5/5
All reviewscreaking floorboardslots of characterold coaching innfull englishbreakfast was excellentanthony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Spent a very relaxed 2 nights. Whilst it's true that some of the decor is a little tired the hotel was clean and our room was very comfortable. We had a tasty meal in the restaurant. The friendly, courteous and very helpful staff made our stay here really enjoyable.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at the George for a two- night weekend break this month, booked through booking.com. and paid £186 for two nights in an executive double room. When we arrived at one pm, it was too early to check in, but a lovely porter called Anthony was happy to store our bags in the secure luggage room while we went for a stroll and some lunch. When we returned, we were efficiently checked in and directed to our room on the third floor, right at the back of the hotel. It was quite a trek down creaking corridors and up several flights of stairs - we enjoyed seeing all the old walls and little quirky areas, but anyone with mobility issues would struggle.

Our room - 408- was large and comfortable, with three big windows looking over the rooftops of the hotel buildings. There was a large ventilation or heating flue right outside the windows which made quite a lot of noise, but this went off at night, so didn't really bother us as we were out most of the time- but it might annoy some. The room decor was very dated and and the bathroom quite scruffy with chipped enamel and ugly streaked MDF bath panel and sink vanity unit, but everything was clean and the comfortable bed was king sized as promised ( or two singles pushed together to be accurate). There was a fan, hair drier, trouser press and ironing board but no safe.

The best part of the hotel in our opinion was the cosy lounge and bar area, with lots of comfy armchairs and sofas to relax in and enjoy a glass of wine or cup of coffee. Breakfast was served in what became the brasserie in the evenings. This is a pleasant space too with modern decor and comfortable chairs.

Breakfasts were fine, several cooked options on the menu with a small buffet of cold items too. Only two pop-up style toasters though, one of which only worked on one side, so there was a bit of a queue for toast.

We ate in the brasserie one evening and found it a bit disappointing. We had bread with dipping oils and a bowl of olives to start - fine but had to remind the waiter about the olives. Main course was rump steak, with a peppercorn sauce for my partner and red wine sauce for me. The steak was nice but the sauces tasted as if they'd come out of a packet - they were in jugs on the side so we just left most of them. The twice-cooked chips were a little soggy and undercooked, as were the onion rings. We shared a dessert which was OK. The price of £58 including wine wasn't too bad but the food could have been a lot better.

We had a lovely weekend in Colchester and spent a lot of time in the Castle park nearby admiring the trees and gardens and feeding the squirrels. The hotel is very central for shopping but being at the rear of the building meant that we weren't disturbed by people leaving the pubs late at night. The front door is locked at 10.30 to stop late night revellers from the high street invading the bar, so you have to ring the bell to be let in by the night porter if you come back after this time - a bit of a strange arrangement, but when we rang the bell, it didn't take him long to open the door. When we checked out on Sunday, we were able to leave our bags in the luggage room again so we could spend a few more hours enjoying Colchester before catching our train home in the afternoon.

We really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to anyone wanting a comfortable, characterful and central hotel in Colchester.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quieter. Floors are creaky so a higher floor will also be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank myra07
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Girls weekend away. On booking requested 3 rooms near to each other, could not have been further apart. Checking in was slow and one member of the party was upgraded due to over booking. My room was adequate but very shabby, in comparison with my friends. I was looking forward to a nice soak in the bath but this was not possible due to enamel chipping off. Reception staff poor. Breakfast was nice and staff friendly. The hotel is full of character but is in need of some tlc.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for business for a week. Really nice hotel if you prefer something completely different from the usual modern hotel.
It's full of history dating back to 16 century, and don't you know it when you walk in to the hotel .
Room was comfortable, if a little too hot.
Restaurant staff always remembered what I had the day before and my coffee was never empty.

Room Tip: Ask for an older room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Scotty T
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had a single room which was small but comfy, I had a very good night's sleep. The following morning I went down for breakfast. When travelling with work I like breakfast to be a quick affair so that I can get on with the day's work. The George cook to order, which is fine, but it was very slow. I waited 30 mins for a basic order, and when it came it was wrong. In the meantime I was offered tea from a teapot which does the rounds of the room, which was very stewed and really not nice.

It would be better to let people help themselves to tea and coffee, or provide a teapot for each table where needed. Breakfast orders need to come out in 10 mins or so.

If I stayed again I would do room only and go out to get a quick breakfast.

I have to mention that the staff in the breakfast room were very friendly and did their best.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business