George Hotel of Colchester
Holiday Inn Express Colchester(Dedham)(Great Value!)
US$67
Wivenhoe House(Wivenhoe)
US$115
Victory at Mersea(Mersea Island)
US$146
US$142
US$195
Holiday Inn Colchester(Eight Ash Green)
US$80
US$81
Priceline
US$90
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Colchester (A12) Hotel(Colchester)(Great Value!)
US$81
PremierInn.com
US$404
All reviewscreaking floorboardslots of characterold coaching innfull englishbreakfast was excellentanthony
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife & I have stayed @ The George twice in the last 10 years and our opinions have not changed. It is an historic hotel with lots of character and friendly, attentive staff. The food is ok but the big negative for this hotel is the state of repair of the rooms and the overall building; it desperately needs a massive make-over.

Room Tip: Go for rooms on the back in the 200 range.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I had a weekend overnight stay here on a weekend. The staff were very helpful in that the main high road to the Hotel was closed and as such one of the reception staff kindly jumped into the car to show us the alternate 10 minute round trip to get to the hotel.
The hotel has history and is an old country Inn.
The room was very small and having seen the 'normal' price of £160 (ish) my personal opinion is that it would be too much to pay. We were lucky enough to get the room at half that price via Booking.com; a price probably more suited to the room.
All in all a quaint hotel situated in the very centre of an historic town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Wonderful historic hotel with friendly and attentive staff a good breakfast and a nice lounge area. The only thing that lets this place down is that the guest rooms a beginning to show their age and could do with repainting and fresh bathrooms. I may be being a little harsh as i usually travel in Asia.
This is the 3rd time in the last 4 years and my view has not changed in that time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I attended a Wedding of a dear friend on Saturday 26th July 2014. I used the iron provided in the room to press my newly purchased shirt for the occasion. The iron leaked all over the centre-back of the shirt, leaving a brown stain. The Duty Manager brought a replacement iron but offered no apology or solution to the problem and said that while he did not dispute it was the iron that had caused the mark, if I wanted to make a formal complaint I had to do it in writing to the General manager.

On Monday I emailed the General Manager and it was not until Wednesday after I chased a reply with head office that the General Manager called and explained that I had to send in the shirt. I explained that I was looking for a resolve and did not have the time nor inclination to post in said shirt, especially after the Duty Manager had already seen the shirt and not followed company procedure with regards to their insurance procedure.

When I explained I would write this on Trip Advisor, the General Manager said i was a threat and she would inform Trip Advisor so that the post would not appear.

Funny that at The George Hotel, they edit their entries on here.

In short very poor service and as a paying customer I am out of pocket by £89.00 the cost of the shirt.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex H
Denise E, Manager at George Hotel of Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for your comments.

We do hope that your complaint reference your shirt has now been resolved completely to your satisfaction.

We always aim to please and we are sorry that on this occasion we failed to achieve this, however, we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We held our wedding reception here 25 years ago and returned to celebrate our 25th silver wedding anniversary.

Making the arrangements for our evening celebration for 12 friends was absolutely painless - even though we live in Northumberland so doing it at a distance. On the day we could not fault anything. The food was really good - everyone rated what they had highly and the choice was far more adventurous than that of many hotels.

The service on that evening and throughout our stay was, honestly, faultless. I took a quick look at previous reviews and would make the following points:

The George is an extremely old coaching inn - if you do not expect creaking floors then I am somewhat surprised.

Our room overlooked the main road and was, obviously, noisy with the window open, but there was air conditioning which we used overnight. Yes, Colchester is noisy in the early hours of the morning when the clubs close but that is the price you pay for being right in the centre of any town or city.

Apart from that, our room was a good size (sorry, can't remember the room number) and we had booked an ordinary double. Certainly all the toiletries were in the bathroom and it was nice to have an ironing board in the room without having to ask for one.

The George has a very comfy lounge which was well used throughout the day, by individuals, young people and families (we used it in the evening after our meal). Two of our friends also stayed and they had a room out the back which they were very happy with. We checked in separately and both couples were given car park passes etc.

When we left we made a point of saying how good the service was.

I would recommend this hotel BUT you do need to take into account its age and its central location - to us they are plus factors but obviously not to others who have stayed there. There are several perfectly adequate hotels on the outskirts of Colchester where the noise would not be a problem - transport would need to be booked - and rooms would be standard.

If that is what you want, the George is not for you, if you want character and good location, it is!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but check whether they have air conditioning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends