“Good Base in Colchester!”

Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Gorgeous period building, really looks the part, staff are friendly, the premises are clean throughout and the room was very comfortable and had everything I needed.

I stayed here one night for business purposes and arrived on the Sunday night as I had an early morning meeting the next day. Check in was hassle free, I found my room with no problems, and was offered assistance with my bags which I didn't require but it's always nice to have the offer!

Had dinner in the bar as the restaurant and function room had a wedding party in it. Staff very friendly here too and there was a good selection on the menu. Seabass was nice but didn't come with any sides and was a bit expensive for all you got, that's my only complaint.

Unfortunately my room seemed to be above the function room but that wasn't so bad as the music went over at about 11:30pm so I could get to sleep after. Only other problem was the single glazed sash windows which meant I could hear every noise outside, but obviously it is a period property so this is to be expected.

Would stay again when back in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We were only staying for one night and chose a hotel primarily based on price and location. Room only for a double was under £60, so we booked a double room at the Rose and Crown in Colchester.

The hotel is a short walk (approx 15 minutes) from the town centre. There is adequate parking onsite and the car park has barriers that can only be opened with a code from your room card.

There are rooms in the old original building but also some executive rooms in the annex in the car park.

We had been booked into a room in the main building but were offered an upgrade to an executive room free-of-charge as there was a wedding function on that night and if we felt we might be disturbed by the disco which would end by midnight they would move us to a quieter room. A nice touch.

Our room was in the much more modern annex, accessed by a key controlled door opposite the main building. The room was modern and well decorated. Not particularly large, but then this is only a 3* hotel and it was more than adequate for our needs. A comfortable bed, Free WIFi in room plus all the normal extras you'd expect, plus tea & coffee making facilities, hair dryer, good sized towels (not the sort that barely cover your modesty), nice flat screen TV and free bottled water.

We didn't eat at the hotel but did enjoy a few drinks in the bar. The bar is full of period features and character. Prices were very reasonable (a nice change from London prices).

Staff were all polite and courteous, especially the receptionist who arranged our move to a quieter room (without us having to request it).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Rooms are of poor quality and not very well maintained. The beds are old spring mattresses with very little comfort.
The hotel is popular for weddings and weekend night tends to be very noisy. Also parking is not guaranteed for staying guests, making it hard to find a near by parking space when the restaurant and pub is bussy.

The front desk staff tends do be very little service minded and at times rude.

Room Tip: Avoid the executive rooms, as the only difference A/C in the room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was placed in one of the oldest rooms in the hotel. It was cramped, smelled bad, and the bed was horrible. If I had been there for more than 1 night, I would have checked out immediately. The smell transferred to my clothing, and I could not wait to get out of there. I travel 3 weeks out of every month, and this hands down was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2012

As we live locally and pop in occassionally fo a drink we thought we would try a bar meal. It was a party of 9 people and I originally call to see if I could book a table as this is quite a large party for a quite a small bar. I was told that there would be no need to book-just turn up and the kitchens open at 6.30. So we turned up at just after 6.30 to find not only was it nearly full already but also that there were tables reserved for all size of parties (2 and 4 people).when I asked the bar man if I could have booked he said that I should have done so and that whoever I spoke to (a man-no name given) had given me the wrong advice. He also could not help us put tables together as there was only him and 1 other person on duty in the bar.
So eventually we managed to put 3 tables togther and were seated quite comfortably.
the menu is varied offering a good selection all at reasonable prices. I had the lamb curry which was excellent (although the pickle was not great), the ham egg and chips, burgers and rissotto were also v good. Puddings were varied and looked good. the surroundings were cosy, the fire was lit and atmosphere buzzy. It got v busy but the food came quite quickly. A good choice for a bar meal -will be back soon. booking advisable

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank essexbird99
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Nice welcome comfortable room, and the food was very good

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Good location for Colchester. 15 mins steady walk to the town centre. Staff helpful and efficient, particularly the bar and waiting staff. Free parking very useful. Car Park entered guarded by a drop down barrier. Wifi (free) works well. Room on the small side but adequate. We stayed for 3 nights over a very cold w/e. Room is heated by a wall mounted convector heater whose output can be adjusted to suit. We found it perfectly adequate for our needs. Bathroom, as in many UK hotels, is small but everything works ok. No shortage of hot water and the over-bath shower has a good pressure.
Friday night was the busiest in the bar (we ate there for all 3 nights) but the staff coped extremely well. The menu is displayed on the now fashionable faux slate plaques hung on the fireplace above the very welcoming wood fire. Food very good but the idea of serving some main courses on designer bits of wood should be discouraged. Noise not a problem even though we overlooked the car park. We stayed in the main hotel, an old building so floorboards creak all the time and everywhere!
A comfortable stay. Staff should be commended for their pleasant attitude and energy.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple