“Service with a smile”

Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
“Service with a smile”
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

You may over look this fantastic period hotel/restaurant, but I urge you to stay a while, the service is fantastic the accommodation very nice but where it stands out is it's food and staff, plenty of humour and banter very quick and a menu which on first glance seems limited until you realise that it has been minimalised to just the very best grub enabling an easy ordering system and a chance to spend more time enjoying your surroundings and friends, we went as a group of four, starters mains and deserts £100 great value go for anything we had the fish and chips, the steak, the seabass and the house burger everything was perfect,
Don't miss this gem.....

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cardiff
Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed with work for one night, lovely old building and so quirky inside, staff very helpful and very comfortable bed. I had room service and had ham and eggs really nice. Only negatives that the blind on the bathroom window did not fully cover the window and my room was unfortunately above where they changed the barrels so a bit noisy until 11. Other than that I would go back.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
essex
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

We travel a lot. We decided to stay just one night and booked executive room, when we arrived realised this was in modern part of building, not what we wanted, spoke to the staff, and they couldn't be more helpful, we were moved to the older part of the building, all I can say is WOW! We love old buildings and this room was just great, low ceiling, and yes did bump head a couple of times. The room was large and the bed really comfortable, we had dinner in the restaurant in the evening and although they had a large party, we were told that we may have to wait awhile, this was also great, nice and relaxed having a drink while waiting for our food. We had such a relaxed day and night here and the staff were so friendly we have decided to return and have booked again for a two night stay next month. Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed May 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Gorgeous period building, really looks the part, staff are friendly, the premises are clean throughout and the room was very comfortable and had everything I needed.

I stayed here one night for business purposes and arrived on the Sunday night as I had an early morning meeting the next day. Check in was hassle free, I found my room with no problems, and was offered assistance with my bags which I didn't require but it's always nice to have the offer!

Had dinner in the bar as the restaurant and function room had a wedding party in it. Staff very friendly here too and there was a good selection on the menu. Seabass was nice but didn't come with any sides and was a bit expensive for all you got, that's my only complaint.

Unfortunately my room seemed to be above the function room but that wasn't so bad as the music went over at about 11:30pm so I could get to sleep after. Only other problem was the single glazed sash windows which meant I could hear every noise outside, but obviously it is a period property so this is to be expected.

Would stay again when back in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We were only staying for one night and chose a hotel primarily based on price and location. Room only for a double was under £60, so we booked a double room at the Rose and Crown in Colchester.

The hotel is a short walk (approx 15 minutes) from the town centre. There is adequate parking onsite and the car park has barriers that can only be opened with a code from your room card.

There are rooms in the old original building but also some executive rooms in the annex in the car park.

We had been booked into a room in the main building but were offered an upgrade to an executive room free-of-charge as there was a wedding function on that night and if we felt we might be disturbed by the disco which would end by midnight they would move us to a quieter room. A nice touch.

Our room was in the much more modern annex, accessed by a key controlled door opposite the main building. The room was modern and well decorated. Not particularly large, but then this is only a 3* hotel and it was more than adequate for our needs. A comfortable bed, Free WIFi in room plus all the normal extras you'd expect, plus tea & coffee making facilities, hair dryer, good sized towels (not the sort that barely cover your modesty), nice flat screen TV and free bottled water.

We didn't eat at the hotel but did enjoy a few drinks in the bar. The bar is full of period features and character. Prices were very reasonable (a nice change from London prices).

Staff were all polite and courteous, especially the receptionist who arranged our move to a quieter room (without us having to request it).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Ayutthaya, Thailand
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Rooms are of poor quality and not very well maintained. The beds are old spring mattresses with very little comfort.
The hotel is popular for weddings and weekend night tends to be very noisy. Also parking is not guaranteed for staying guests, making it hard to find a near by parking space when the restaurant and pub is bussy.

The front desk staff tends do be very little service minded and at times rude.

Room Tip: Avoid the executive rooms, as the only difference A/C in the room.