“Nice atmosphere but terrible bed”

Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We booked one night at the Rose and Crown in one of the executive rooms. The room was located in a separate building. We were pleased by the parking at the hotel, and the staff were very friendly. We arrived early and that was not any problem.

The executive room was very small, but that was no problem for us. We really enjoyed the bar and the food at the bar, the hotels atmosphere was really nice.

But the bed was terrible, it seemed like the springs would come out every time you made the smallest move while sleeping.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just spent last Friday (Valentines Day) at this hotel all I can say is Wow Wow Wow but after reading the latest review from "Carol B - Rubbish Rose & Crown" I want everyone to know that I also stayed in Room 204 and words fail me how wonderful if was. Oldy Worldy and beautiful. We booked a double room originally but there was a list of other available rooms when we arrived to check in and which you were offered to have a look at before deciding - I would recommend this as we choose to upgrade without a doubt. The main bedroom boasted a 4 poster bed which was so comfortable. The room had more than adequate heating it was very warm and cozy. The bathroom was amazing, very spacious, the spa bath was wonderful and the water if anything was a too hot and along with a separate large shower it was perfect. The hotel itself was obviously steep in history and all the old and low beams took my breath away and loved the creaky floorboards. The little windows and the furnishings throughout the hotel were excellent. The bar area was lovely and with the log fire burning it made it a very relaxing area. The food was very good as brilliant and well portioned. As for the staff, the receptionist was very helpful even letting us look at the available room (Room 204) before we said yes to it. The bar staff were polite and very efficient along with the waiter and waitress (even being presented with a single red rose during the evening was really a nice jesture). All the staff made you feel very special. I honestly could not fault this hotel in any way, it was warm, clean, friendly and with a lovely atmosphere and the room was more than fantastic. I would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. The cost of the room was very very reasonable and I believe a bargain for what you receive in return from all aspects of the hotel and the staff. We will be booking another stay very soon.

Room Tip: I booked a double room but there was a list of available rooms which you were offered to have a look...
1  Thank Tracey W
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a Hotel I have admired for years and now I no longer live in Colchester felt it would be a good overnight stop for a number of events we had on at the weekend.

The Hotel is beautiful - and very old. However, the bed was too small for a couple, which mad it uncomfortable. We did not eat Dinner, but the Bar Service and quality of drinks were excellent.

Breakfast was a little disappointing as the beans were tepid and the scrambled eggs more like an omelette.

However, overall not a Bad place for the price

Room Tip: Ask for a King Size Bed
Reviewed 4 February 2014

On 31st January 2014, my husband and I were booked in to stay at the Rose & Crown Hotel for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast, but felt it necessary to leave after only one night’s stay.

Let me now relate the reasons for our early departure:

1) We arrived after a very fraught one hour journey around Colchester trying to find your hotel using the directions supplied by yourselves in the hotel’s brochure, which turned out to be totally inadequate and only found the hotel by a complete stroke of luck.

2) On arrival the Receptionist was under the impression we were only booked in for 1 night. This error had to be corrected back in Octoberof last year, when our confirmation came through, so we were quite surprised to see that their records had not been amended.

3) We were given, what seemed to be the most beautifully presented room ( 204 ) of fantastic old world charm, with a wonderful looking bathroom straight out of Home Beautiful, but that was as far as it went. The room was freezing cold; its heating system was completely inadequate for the size of room and we had to sleep in our clothes to keep warm!

The Bathroom was an ice box and very draughty, as the secondary glazing let in more cold than it kept out. The only heating in this room was the two towel rails which were barely warm and inadequate room heaters.

We both realise that the building is very old and this was one of the reasons we decided to stay with you for this special weekend. but this is 2014, and a blend of Antiquity and technology is quite achievable given the technology available in this present technological age.

4) The plumbing was a joke! The shower only gave a dribble of hot water likewise the same goes for the bath ( This would have taken at least 35 minutes to fill ), and would have been cold by the time one got to the point of using its ‘Whirlpool Spa’ facility. The room did not have enough water pressure to do what was required.

When we were explaining this to Liz the Receptionist – She knew all about it - so why give us the room in the first place! Later she asked if we would like another room, but we had already unpacked for our special weekend ( What a Farce ), and did not want to spend all our time re-packing and changing rooms. Protocol should be right first time - normal and usual Best Western practise - But not in this case!.

5) On booking the weekend back in October 2013, I had booked our meals in the Restaurant and had been assured by Suwanna their receptionist that this request had been logged.

On arrival we not only found that our Restaurant bookings had not been honoured, but the restaurant was closed for the duration of our visit , and the only food available over the weekend was being served in the bar!

A situation that was not acceptable, as we had come to celebrate My Husbands Birthday and we were looking forward to eating in the fine restaurant, the one the hotel had and were so eager to offer in their hotel brochure and advertisements.

Also, I had purchased a formal evening gown for this special event and this would have made me look totally out of place and overdressed dressed in a bar!

If you knew your Restaurant was going to be closed, would it not be a courtesy to inform your customers who were staying that weekend that this was not available. In our case we would have cancelled our visit.

When raised with Liz the Receptionist, the attitude was well no-one had thought about it! - Apathetic attitude - Not Best Western Normal Practise!

6) So we came for our meal in your bar. We both struggled to find anything that might delight our palates. The menu was dull and uninspiring and virtually everything came with chips or mashed potato – Does The Chef Have No Imagination!!

My husband went for the steak which he admitted was nice but its accompaniments were pathetic, chips and coleslaw with two small pieces of tomato and that was his lot. My husband did order a peppercorn sauce which did not arrive with the meal and had to be asked for some time later, which arrived warm.

I ordered the Seared Salmon, which came on a Cold plate! I requested the meal be taken back to the kitchen and put on a Hot plate. The waitress took the meal back to the kitchen and returned saying the Chef said the meal was supposed to be served on a Cold plate. I politely said to the waitress that I would like a Hot plate, the waitress just stood there looking at me, waiting for me to accept the meal as it was and Not Honour My Request. I sent the meal back; I did not have anything else from the menu as I did not find anything that I wanted.

I thought the business they were in was to keep their customers happy and even if things were not quite to the Chef’s wants and whims, does he or she not work towards achieving the same customer satisfaction?

The desserts were poor and obviously brought in rather than home made by the chef. My chocolate torte had a rock hard biscuit base which when I tried to break it refused to do so, and so I had to cut it with a knife!

7) We informed Liz the Receptionist that we would NOT be staying for the second night after the meal. We also asked to speak to the Manager about reimbursement, as Liz said she could do nothing, as the Manager was the only one who could do this.

Liz, then gave us a card with the Managers name, address and e-mail on it and was told to sort it out with the manager.

Liz, also said we had to pay the full bill, as the manager would not be available early on the Saturday and she could do nothing about this.

Liz’s attitude was that she could not give a dam, this was reinforced by her comment on leaving by saying “ That she hoped we come back again and have a better experience” – Was She plain stupid!

Ask yourself the question, after experiencing being treated in the way we were – Would You Want To Come Back!!

Room Tip: For Goodness Sake Dont Have Room 204
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BethBruce, General Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Let me start by thanking you for informing me about your experience at our hotel and I apologise for the problems encountered. We strive to ensure each and every guest’s experience is satisfying.

Whilst you have felt you have had a poor stay with us, some of the issues have been over stated. The vast majority of our guests write to us stating how much they have enjoyed their visits.

As you can appreciate this is stated in social media channels which we have no control over, this proves to all that our mistakes are few and far between. We believe from reading your review and your conversations from arrival that whatever service we would have offered would not have made you happy.

At the time of your arrival the I was at reception and overheard your check-in, and I was happy with the manner in which Liz had communicated the different aspects of the reservation, dining facilities etc. At this time the I felt that you would not be happy with your stay no matter what we did.

Therefore I recommend that the establishment that would fulfil your expectations would offer the services and facilities of a 4 star hotel or above. As you are aware we are a 3 star hotel and offer services to that level.

Best Western Hotels offer many types of individual hotels of all standards. Please do not be wary of using other Best Western hotels as many of them will suit your needs.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

The old part of the hotel is quirky and charming with low ceilings, creaky floors and original beams. I stayed in one of the new (huge) rooms which was quite a walk from reception (219) but had recently been fitted with a beautiful bathroom. The bar food was good, big portions. Staff were all very friendly. Will return to stay again over coming months. I only spotted the underground prison on checkout so will definitely take a look next time!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JennieLear
Reviewed 22 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank BenhagonDesign
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We had a good stay here , the lady on reception was very friendly and very helpful , the main building I believe dates back to the 15th century and I think would be a great place to stay for either tourists or history lovers. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel and was OK , comfortable and clean , but nothing special , it did the job nicely though for the price paid. Thanks to the lovely receptionist we got a look at the four poster room and the old building executive suites , which look amazing so when we return we will most certainly be staying in one of these as I feel it will enhance our stay. So for the money paid very happy with our room it's competitive with budget hotels, but as the old building is so beautiful we will pay for the upgraded rooms and enjoy the authentic Tudor experience .

Room Tip: Try for rooms in the old building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple