“Fantastic!!”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

we attended a wedding here on Saturday 10th May 2014. Many guests stayed in the hotel although personally we didnt, They were all extrememly happy with their rooms.
Thoroughly reccommend this hotel for weddings, the staff are polite, caring and friendly. The food was gorgeous and Hot (even with serving 90 at once). Good atmosphere.
If your into Old buildings this is definately worth a visit, Beams and features everywhere you look.
The only niggle we had was at just after 11pm the waiting staff were clearing tables of decorations, fair enough on the empty tables but not when they were still in use! Made me feel as though i was keeping them from getting home when we had until 12 midnight to party.
Best wedding we have attended in a hotel. Congratulations Mr & Mrs Marsh

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stopped there for lunch and we were surprised by the quality of the food, my partner had fish and chips and not only the portion was big but it tasted delicious. I had venison burger which I hadn't tried before and it was very tasty. The place is clean and the building is stunning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Great welcome and full information about the area from the receptionist.
Lovely clean room. Really quirky hallways, loved it, so different.
Bar was friendly and inviting. Bar meals were of a great standard. The rack of lamb I had was the best!!
If there was a downfall it was the breakfast. The fruit was obviously tinned, the bread was standard sliced bread, very unappealing! Didn't bother with the cooked breakfast, having seen some come to other tables, not looking nice at all. Such a shame given the quality of the meals we had in the bar. Would still recommend to all because the poor breakfast could not take away the pleasure we had at this place.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Looks like a lovely hotel , really nice rooms although im 5ft7 and my husband is 6ft5 and we couldn't actually stand up in our room properly as beams so low so 1 night was enough !
That wasn't really the problem though, being kept awake by people talking in the bar VERY loudly until 5AM !! is what annoyed me. then we got woken up at 8AM on a sunday morning by drilling RIGHT OUTSIDE our window.
The hotel cant help the roadworks I suppose ( maybe a request to the council to do work after 10am outside their premises )but they can ask their patrons to be quiet in the bar if they want to drink into the early hours, I could hear their entire conversation as if I was watching the TV on loud !!
I complained to reception who said that she had already checked with the night porter to see if it was a quiet night and he had said yes !! but we did get a free breakfast for us and our friends in another room ( who did have a good nights sleep )

The breakfast was ok, not amazing but appreciated

I probably would stay at this hotel again if in the area but would request a room that's not above the bar !

Room Tip: ask for a room NOT above the bar !
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lou1232
Stoke-on-Trent, England
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I was very excited to stay the night in what appeared on the website as beautiful and historic building. We payed for an executive room , and I'm not sure what about the room made this the case.
The room was situated in a separate building which was just by the smoking area, which meant we couldn't have the window open at any point.
The room was comfy enough but small, and the bathroom was also small but fit for purpose.
Had we ended our stay without visiting the onsite restaurant, this would have been not problem as I know the hotel is budget. However after entering the restaurant and ordering our meals we realised the room was the least of our worries. My meal, which involved a fried egg. I asked for the egg not to be runny(as I am pregnant) and it arrived very runny on a cold plate, I was not impressed. My husband's meal was much better, a pork dish which seemed popular. The bigger issue was waiting for the staff to collect our plates. 45 minutes the staff collected plates from around us, appearing that we were invisible. By this point I could not face confrontation to ask for this simple thing and we went to bed early very dissapointed.

The orginial building is beautiful, lots of original features. However the service just let the whole stay down. I will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014