“Very unique and interesting hotel”

Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Leominster, United Kingdom
“Very unique and interesting hotel”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Apparently the oldest in Colchester. This is a genuine period hotel, undulating floors, lack of headroom through the archways down the corridors - I'm quite tall. Staff excellent, good food, rooms comfortable, and the overall uniqueness of the hotel makes it definitely worth a visit. Right in town so good position for the locality. Secure car park, free wifi, everything needed for a stop over. Even though I had to be careful while walking down the corridor, in case I should bump my head, I'd recommend this hotel any day of the week.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I chose The Rose and Crown Hotel as our wedding venue,it was only the second venue we viewed,and we fell in love with it! as soon as we walked in,there was a pile of wood ready for the fire,it smelt divine,and confirmed our decision before even walking in! Upon walking into reception,we were greeted by a lovely,friendly receptionist,then by Lisa,our wedding coordinator,who couldn't have been better with her service!,our wedding day ran so smoothly and the minute I got out of the car on arrival,just seeing Lisa calmed me down! Every single member of staff were brilliant,the waiters and waitresses couldn't do enough for us,and the food was excellent,we had guests saying all day how great it was. The staff made us feel special,and at the end of the night,when we were starting to clear up,we were told by staff to go and enjoy the night,they will pack away everything! All in all they exceeded our expectations throughout the day. In the morning we rang down to reception to order breakfast,and was greeted with a warm welcome,and breakfast was quickly delivered and was very tasty. Overall our day was fantastic and we would recommend The Rose and Crown to any future bride and grooms.
Thank you to all the staff and to Lisa for making our day so special,and for making us feel like VIPs throughout.

Mr and Mrs Spall x

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Zoe S
Southend-on-Sea, England
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Pulling up to The Rose and Crown in the cab it was visually clear straight away how much character this place had. I'd personally never visited Colchester before and was there to graduate at the main university campus. The hotel was seemingly near to everything in the town.

An old tudor house on one half of the building and a newly built extension on the other meant that one received the character when checking in and in the restaurant pub and the opportunity to stay in nice, new plush rooms. However there was still the opportunity to stay in the other 'characterful' part of the hotel. From what I heard from members of our party staying in these rooms though they were aged and above the restaurant which radiated heat up.

I should mention at this point we were there during the hottest weekend of the year. The rooms didn't have air conditioning. (even in one of the 'Superior' rooms I stayed in.) A small space heater fan was supplied in my room. This barely blew enough to be less warm let alone cool and the old style windows didn't open all the way and needed support to stay open. The party staying in the old style room (above the kitchen) also didn't have a fan supplied at all and the heat became uncomfortable for them and lead to a very uncomfortable sleep.

Having said all of this, our Superior room was lovely, the bathroom even nicer and the staff were extremely friendly and personable. The food at the restaurant/pub was superb and the pub was a nice place to have a drink.

I would recommend this hotel for its character, although they should, being a Best Western, address the heat issues during hot summers days and nights. I would also like to mention the second hand fan store across the road teasing our sweaty selves! Having said all of this the staff were very nice, the free WiFi was good and the character of the place trumped the heat.

Room Tip: Superior bathrooms were awesome. I'd recommend superior judging by the other rooms depending on...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RossEgan
Ricardo S, General Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and congratulations to the newly graduated student.

We supply fans in all our rooms and when you stayed we had 5 rooms without, we bought 10 new ones last weekend so ALL rooms now have them and we have relpaced some older ones.

So if you or your family return to Colchester and the weather is this hot again we have it covered.

Thank you again for your review.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel is quite striknig tudor building, which is situated in a small village but unfortunately has quite a busy main road running through it, but once inside it is entirely olde worlde and quite welcoming. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and smart.
The breakfast are very nice and filling, ranging from a full english to a bowl of cereal it's up to you.
The only draw back to the hotel is that it is very popular for parties and weddings, so generally quite busy, there's no outside space only a car park, if you have a room overlooking the car park as we did there is a lot of noise that comes up from the car park and function room. Apart from that its a nice hotel within easy walking of the main town of Colchester.

Room Tip: Try to book a hotel away from the car park.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed for two nights while participating in a croquet tournament. The building (partly original Tudor, carefully refurbished) was tremendous, and the room was spacious, spotless and pleasantly furnished.

Friendly and helpful staff.

I didn't sample the food as I was being "fed" elsewhere, but the menu looked good.

Be careful if approaching the hotel from the west, as it is on a corner and you can easily drive past it (even when returning for a second night!).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for almost two weeks while working away. I had two rooms during this time as I had a couple days break my first room was lovely very big, beautiful bathroom just the ceiling was a little bit low and I could hear all the noise from the street. Little sleep first couple of days. Second room was higher ceiling but the shower room was small and the shower just trickled out. The food was lovely and one particular member of bar staff was very friendly throughout my stay. Another was not came across and he was not interested. Also the same bar staff member I got to the hotel just on time before they stop serving food but he said they had finished and I could only have a sandwich. To order room service your charged £5 straight away I was not happy about this! Breakfast was really nice plenty of choice. I often found my room wasn't really cleaned and was given dirty towels two days in a row! Also I had a cleaner wake me up and when I said pardon to her she starting being rude! Also all my electricals had be PAC tested without my consent I found this a invasion of privacy as they had clearly be going through my things. I wouldn't moan to much as my company paid for my stay but if I had paid myself I wouldn't of been happy with the price and I wouldn't ever stay again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MissLozaRoza
Ricardo S, General Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review but I am very concerned about some of your comments, particularly about PAT testing your electricals and some customer service issues. We do our PAT testing annually last in Feb of this year - if an electrical item was plugged in when the eletrician is testing he will test ALL appliances.

Please provide your room number and date of stay so I may investigate this further.
I thank you in advance with your help with this matter.