“The Rose and Crown Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Rose & Crown Colchester

BEST WESTERN Rose & Crown Colchester
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Colchester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I needed a place to stay near Ipswich, for a Saturday night, as I was attending a party in the area. For some reason, hotels in the area were very heavily booked. I found the Rose and Crown through Expedia and only an Executive room was left. It was a little more than I had hoped to spend, but less expensive than Premier Inn in Braintree was quoting, for the same date, plus closer to my party. My room was in a separate building to the main building. Although the exterior is Tudor style, the interior is modern. The desk staff were pleasant and efficient. Parking is free, but was full when I checked in. There is an overflow car park, down the road. As others have stated, there is no A/C, but a couple of open windows in my corner room resulted in a pleasant temperature. The room was clean and had a modern décor, which looked fresh. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean, although the amenities seemed minimal, for an Executive room. Bar hand soap but shower/bath gel for the shower/bath. Many hotels go this way, although I prefer bar soap. There was only one bottle each of shower gel and shampoo, even though the room was for 2 people. My girlfriend talked me into having breakfast there, on Sunday. The waiting staff were efficient, friendly, and cheerful. I had an omelette, which seemed slightly over-cooked, but was very tasty. They use free range eggs for their meals. I was a little disappointed with the sides. We got one sausage each an I ordered hash browns, which was just a frozen block, deep fried. I never figured out how to work the wifi, but we weren't there long enough for it to make much difference. If you need accommodation in the area, this is a good hotel at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Executive rooms seem nice.
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had initially booked The George but was so pleased I changed it a week before we stayed as went stopped off at The George for a drink on the Friday evening and it was in a very busy (read loud) part of the High Street. The Rose and Crown is about a ten to fifteen minute walk from the centre of town and for us that was ideal so we could walk off the evening meal before returning to our room. The main part of hotel is a beautiful building but because we had requested a quiet room we were in the Executive Suite of rooms in a new block separated by only a few steps from the main hotel. Our room was very clean and had everything we needed, including an iron and ironing board, but the godsend was the small desk top fan which came in very handy as our room was stifling once the sun moved round in the afternoon and early evening. Once small suggestion would be to have a separate sheet under the duvet cover as it was too hot to have the duvet over us but in a strange location I felt very vunerable with no cover. Service at the front desk and breakfast room was very good. A very pleasant stay and if we are ever in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Rose and Crown.

Room Tip: Go for an Executive room if you prefer a quieter room.
      Cleanliness
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel in July 2014. Was making move from wheelchair to crutches having broken my leg. Was staying alone for business so very much dependent on help from staff.

The hotel itself is lovely - quite old/listed with lovely interior. I stayed in a newer part which was also very nice - comfortable bed, excellent bathroom, on the ground floor so manageable with limited mobility. I was dependent on room service so ate there every night - the food was very good (especially the ribs).

The staff honestly could not have been more helpful. They brought me whatever I needed, carried my stuff for me, booked cabs for me, and also kept an eye out for me - e.g. they worried if they hadn't seen me come in.

I really couldn't have been better looked after and recommend this hotel without reservation. (It's also very well located although sadly I couldn't get out much!)

Room Tip: Ask the staff, they are lovely and will choose a room that suits you.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Dagenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Lovely old and interesting hotel, Original features lovingly preserved make this hotel a perfect place to stay if you want to visit Colchester. Close to town with good parking. We left our car there and just walked into Colchester.
We ate at the restaurant, which was very busy when we were there but we booked in the morning and they were happy to accommodate us for a table the same evening. The food was very good, promptly served by very attentive staff. Reasonably priced too. Breakfast was not included in the price of our booking but was available if you wanted it without booking beforehand.
The room we were given was an "executive suite" it was in a separate building to the older part of the hotel it appeared it was a fairly recently build but had been constructed to match the character and style of the original building and was very comfortable of a very good size with an en-suite bath with shower. Only one gripe the plug to the sink was broken and when it was pushed into the plug hole there was no way of getting it out so we couldn't drain the sink.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Colchester, if you are looking for a comfortable hotel, full of character with friendly staff this is the place to stay!

Sleep Quality
Leominster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Apparently the oldest in Colchester. This is a genuine period hotel, undulating floors, lack of headroom through the archways down the corridors - I'm quite tall. Staff excellent, good food, rooms comfortable, and the overall uniqueness of the hotel makes it definitely worth a visit. Right in town so good position for the locality. Secure car park, free wifi, everything needed for a stop over. Even though I had to be careful while walking down the corridor, in case I should bump my head, I'd recommend this hotel any day of the week.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I chose The Rose and Crown Hotel as our wedding venue,it was only the second venue we viewed,and we fell in love with it! as soon as we walked in,there was a pile of wood ready for the fire,it smelt divine,and confirmed our decision before even walking in! Upon walking into reception,we were greeted by a lovely,friendly receptionist,then by Lisa,our wedding coordinator,who couldn't have been better with her service!,our wedding day ran so smoothly and the minute I got out of the car on arrival,just seeing Lisa calmed me down! Every single member of staff were brilliant,the waiters and waitresses couldn't do enough for us,and the food was excellent,we had guests saying all day how great it was. The staff made us feel special,and at the end of the night,when we were starting to clear up,we were told by staff to go and enjoy the night,they will pack away everything! All in all they exceeded our expectations throughout the day. In the morning we rang down to reception to order breakfast,and was greeted with a warm welcome,and breakfast was quickly delivered and was very tasty. Overall our day was fantastic and we would recommend The Rose and Crown to any future bride and grooms.
Thank you to all the staff and to Lisa for making our day so special,and for making us feel like VIPs throughout.

Mr and Mrs Spall x