All reviewslow beamsold buildingolde worldfour posteroldest hoteltudor stylemain buildingolder partlots of characterfull englishgreat characterlady on receptionfriday eveningfunction roomtown centrethe pubsuperior room
Reviewed 27 October 2017

there for three course meal and tribute show, starter meal served within minutes of seating,long wait of twenty minutes for main course, very thing on plate cooked to perfection apart from the roast potatoes, these were crispy and oily on the outside tasteless and hard on the inside to the point of near raw, plate after plate collected empty apart from the potatoes, these were not fully roasted these were finished of in a deep fat fryer, the sweet course was to die for plus the added little jar on honey to top it, with coffee and mints to follow,with the show well worth the £35

Room Tip: stayed there several times diffrant room each time best rooms not facing road to rail crossing
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Dear Antony,

Thank you for a thorough review and I am pleased you enjoyed your evening - I will check with chef about the roasties.

We have a Vegas Tribute on 17th Nov, reduced to £25pp if you fancy it.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

I came to this hotel for a family wedding, free parking which is a plus, it’s no good for anyone over 5’7 as you’ll constantly bang your head. Food was mediocre. I have to say wedding was beautiful. No cash points in the vicinity!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jadeyshell
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Low ceilings in some of our rooms are part of the hotel charm, but we have plenty of rooms with a modern feel and a standard ceiling height, so on another visit we can allocate one of those rooms for you.

I am sorry the food was not to your liking, I will check when you stayed and look into this, we do offer a cash back facility at reception and Waitrose has a cash machine but only during opening hours.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My partner and I recently stayed here and we were in room 214. It was a very disappointing hotel room, especially for £80. It was a tiny box room which was very dated. There was a clock by the side of the bed that had the wrong date and time on (not helpful), the tv remote did not work, the bedside light would not turn on and there was no air con/fan in the room. Both my partner and I struggled to sleep as it was like a sauna. The hotel itself is nice as it has a lot of character. But I do think it is overpriced for its dated and disappointing facilities.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chloé G
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Hi Chloe,

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with room 214, one of our superior rooms.

The bathroom was fully renovated 2 years ago with modern additions, rainfall shower and eco lighting and the bedroom had lighting changed and was redecorated, I can only apologise that it was not what you expected.

I have one superior room which is bigger, so if you return to Colchester please call direct and hopefully we can allocate this room for you.

We do not have air conditioning but a fan is provided in all rooms and should have been in the wardrobe.

I would like to opportunity to show you the true Rose & Crown hospitality on a future visit.

best regards

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel staff is great send i really appreciate their help. *****
Everything else average. I was very surprised that during 7 nights of stay they didn't change the sheets. The bathroom - shower, is not clean as it supose to be... (Room 203).

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank ivonamichl
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you for posting a review I have copied my reply from booking.com below.

Dear Anon, Thank you for posting a review and I can only apologise about the bathroom and the sheets not being changed, we change sheets every 3rd day on stays unless the guests have asked not to. I will make sure you have the sheets changed as often you like and a pristine bathroom on your next visit.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

We arrived for our pre-booked (through an Internet site) 4-day stay to find that somehow the Internet site had cancelled our reservation, and the hotel was completely booked for a wedding over the weekend. We were in a panic, but the receptionist and manager took it in stride. They had a room for Monday through Wednesday, but had to do some magic to get us a room for Thursday night. Even though we had to change rooms on Thursday, we were very grateful for whatever they did to arrange that, including moving all of our luggage for us. Needless to say we think the staff is fantastic. We will be booking directly with hotels from here on out and avoiding Internet travel site bookings

Room Tip: There are two buildings, but we love the older section for its charm and uniqueness
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Hi Esther,

Thanks for posting the review, we like to think we can do magic sometimes.

Hope to see you back in the UK again soon.