Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Kathray
Colchester

Masonic Ladies Festival

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 31 May 2018
We recently held our Masonic Ladies Festival at The Rose & Crown Hotel, Colchester, and it could not have been a better venue. From the early planning, Lisa Grantham was exceptionally helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for her. The evening was a great success, the food was excellent, not one complaint or moan from 135 guests, only praise for the service. The team of waiters and waitresses were superbly managed by Stefan, who ensured all of our guests were well treated. Our evening was a great success, we were most definitely looked after by the whole team on duty that evening. Thank you!
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
4.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 1 Jun 2018
Hi Kath & Ray,

Thank you for posting such a great review,

The team here really enjoyed the event and hope to see you all again soon.

£58
    £45
3.9 miles from Best Western The Rose And Crown Hotel Colchester
    £71
View more hotels in Colchester
All reviews low beams old building newer part lots of character four poster function room christmas party full english town centre lady on reception bed was comfortable wedding reception cooked breakfast waiting staff stayed here for one night breakfast was excellent family room
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

We went there for a formal dinner,130+ diners!
The bar was rather small for the large numbers,but I thought cooed very well.
Seating arrangements were well laid out, and looked nice.
Because we were table 8 of 14 or 15,our food was a little slow in arriving,but when it did it was very pleasant.
All in all,I think they did very well!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy H
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Hi Andy,

Glad you enjoyed the Dinner Dance, hope to welcome you back again soon to discover what Colchester has to offer.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

wow you could feel the history seeping through the walls. Il be back in September. Our room was stunning if a little low ceiling but hey that's to be expected, the food was a bit of a let down in the bar but ideally located for discovering the history of our oldest recorded town

Date of stay: April 2018

When you come back in September ask for an olde worlde room !

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

I stayed at the Rose and Crown the night before my wedding and my wedding night. The staff were so helpful on the day of the Wedding. When my husband and I got back to the room the staff had decorated our bed with Red rose petals and gave us a complimentary bottle of Champagne. The receptionist took me out to the bridal car under her umbrella as it was raining. The hotel itself is wonderful. Very old but my room had every facility. Its steeped in history. I will definitely stay there again and look forward to doing so,

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank shirleyward10
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

It really is our pleasure and many congratulations to you both.

We empower our team to go above and beyond expectations.

I hope to see you again, if not every year on your anniversary.

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed for sons wedding for 2 nights. Lovely old building and stayed in a room with four poster bed which was spacious and lovely. Had breakfast both morning which was really nice and staff were extremely friendly and helpful wedding was held at rose and crown and the day was beautiful. Again staff were very efficient and helpful and the wedding breakfast was great

Trip type: Travelled with family
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Hi Tracy,

Thank you so much for posting a review, we have a great team here.

I am sure the newly weds are enjoying there honeymoon.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

We stayed in the new building at the Rose & Crown for a wedding. It is a beautiful, ancient, and well-preserved building, so if you like half-timbered hotels with low beams, sympathetic decor and rabbit-warren floor plans you'll love it! The staff are all great: courteous, helpful and attentive. The waiters were all charming, and made sure that those of us with allergies and intolerances were fed appropriately, even if they had to invent a solution which wasn't on the menu. The food is great and beautifully presented. The windows open, which is a definite plus! The staff will fix all the problems they can possibly fix, but sadly, some just can't be solved quite that easily.

The two main problems were:

The mattresses are not supportive. They are too soft. Some appear to be in desperate need of replacement (I was shown various rooms to see if any would be better for me). Neither my husband nor I slept well, and we both woke - predictably - with backaches.

The room we were in (in the new part) appeared to have been created by someone with no clue how to design a hotel room. The bath was quite high and a bit difficult to get into easily, and the shower was powerful enough to hit the opposite wall, if turned on incautiously, and that wall had a non-waterproof shelf which had degraded badly through constant wetting. I'm short-sighted, and had to squeeze sideways between the loo and the handbasin to get close enough to the mirror in the bathroom to do my make-up. The switch for the electric towel rail was actually outside the room, next to what looked like an air conditioning unit (which didn't seem to work), so in an effort to turn the air-con on, we ended up heating the whole room even more. And the hairdryer is hidden in a lift up flap of the desk. The problem with that is a) you don't know it's there until you've laid out all your stuff on the desk and start searching for it, and b) it's captive, and the mirror you're suppose to use is on the underside of the lid, which cannot open more than halfway because it hits the wall-mounted TV. We asked for help, and when the lady pulled out the desk, it was clear that the room hadn't been cleaned thoroughly for a while, because there was a dusty old cigarette packet down in the corner. This assumption was borne out by the fact that when I turned on the portable fan later to try to cool the room, it blew a cloud of dust towards our beds - a bit of a disaster for me since I'm asthmatic, and spent that night wheezing and coughing. The fan cage, on closer inspection, was caked with hanging clumps of dust. Sadly, since I'm extremely short-sighted and also have cataracts forming, so this was not apparent before I switched it on - I just assumed it would be clean!

Most of these are small inconveniences and won't worry most people, but the dust and the mattresses were big deals for us, sadly.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Dear Judy S,

Firstly, I am pleased the staff went above and beyond, we are very proud of our team here.

The receptionist had already said about the desk lid not opening, and upon inspection the desk had moved position which indeed meant there wasn't room for the lid to open. In hindsight when we upgraded the TV's they should all have been positioned slightly higher.

I will share your comments with the housekeeper regarding the fan and the other items - I will point out that we disused the AC system years ago removing the controls etc but the vents can not be removed.

I can only apologise about your disturbed sleep, with dust and the mattress - we use all reviews and guests comments for long term repairs/replacements.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.