Lowest prices for your stay
US$99
Free cancellation until 15/05/21
Hotels.com
US$88
Free cancellation until 22/05/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Priceline
US$99
Free cancellation until 15/05/21
Expedia.comUS$88
eDreamsUS$99
FindHotelUS$100
All reviews old building four poster open fire main building lovely building executive room town centre cooked breakfast waiting staff breakfast was excellent visiting colchester family room saturday night full english breakfast tea and coffee character wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 December 2019 via mobile

My family and I booked the Rose and Crown for Boxing Day, I’m GF and contacted the hotel / restaurant approx 6 weeks in advance of the day to enquire and place my GF choice. When arriving on the 26th Dec we all met in the bar for predinner drinks before being shown to our table. Once we were seated I was told that my starter and desert were not available GF, so I was given another option of pate , I agreed to this but when it arrived I was given nothing to put it on, I asked the waitress for a GF roll, bread or oatcakes but was told they had none. I obviously told them to take the pate away because I couldn’t eat it on it’s own. The chef rushed up a salad instead. The main beef roast arrived but I didn’t have a Yorkshire pudding which the rest of the table ( non GF) had but never mind. Then the desert which I hadn’t ordered arrived, it was the usual GF desert of chocolate brownie, which was so dry I think it must have been sitting around the kitchen for months!! The whole meal was very mediocre and we will not be returning. My biggest disappointment was that I ordered the meal weeks in advance, so why were they unable to cater for me? Do not bother if your GF they really don’t care enough to cater for you.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Cheryl H
RicardoSanta-Rita, General Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2019

Dear Cheryl,

Firstly, may I thank you for giving us feedback.
I am sorry to hear that your Gluten Free meal was not satisfactory.

Upon having investigated, my team informed me that the dishes chosen had gluten in these, and all parties have not communicated until the day of your lunch, which with service upon us, we could not prepare alternative dishes Gluten free. My Assistant Manager approached you after you sat at your table and explained the dishes chosen were not Glutten Free and we would be able to serve either Vegetarian or Vegan dishes that we prepare on a daily basis. At this stage, several alternatives were suggested and prepared for you but unfortunately none were to your liking.
My Team offered a Bottle of Wine complementary and did the upmost to to resolve the situation.

We consider nothing to be trivial if it displeases our guests, and we take all complaints very seriously.

As a gesture of good will, I offer you a two course meal for two people “ Food only “.

This offer would be subject to availability and valid for six months.

Kind regards,

Ricardo Santa-Rita / Regional General Manager

Reviewed 29 December 2019

The hotel was lovely. Our room was a little noisy but we were slightly out of the hotel. If you stay in the main hotel it's fine. The room was goo and very clean. Breakfast was very good and had a lot of choice. Good for families. They do not take dogs though which was an issue for us and a reason why we would not stay again

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2020

Hi Marie R,

Thank you for posting a review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

The best option for your dog is to check the B&B's in Colchester as the other hotels do not accept dogs either.

Reviewed 20 December 2019

We all had a amazing time , brilliant food and service best night we have had for a works event in years and the the dj was brilliant , we all danced the night away , did not want to go home.
We will be back for more events fantastic , Thankyou to all involved from chefs to waiting staff and DJ .

Trip type: Travelled on business
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2019

Hi Happy7976 (love your name)

So pleased you and your work mates had a great Christmas party, the organiser would have received a voucher to spend in January and you can book any time for 2020 to get the date you want.

Best regards and Merry Christmas.

Reviewed 16 December 2019

Whilst the party event was well run the room which cost me £89 was very shabby the tv didn’t work initially bath plug hanging off bathroom tatty and room generally tatty old fashioned badly lit and not worth the money in addition service at breakfast was poor with food not up to standard.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
RicardoSanta-Rita, Manager at Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2019

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for posting your review and I can only apologise about the condition of the room, we are currently about half way through decorating all our rooms.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon to show you the true Rose & Crown hospitality.

Reviewed 15 December 2019 via mobile

We came to stay at the Rose and Crown as we were going to a family party close by and from the moment we booked until the moment we left it was lovely experience. I booked online and received an email the next day letting my know that they had a party going on at the hotel the evening we were there and offering me the option to cancel if we wanted to find somewhere quieter. They also said that if we were happy to go ahead then they would place us in a room in a quieter part of the hotel. We decided to go ahead with our stay and I'm so pleased that we did as our room was lovely and peaceful. One of the best things about this hotel is the outstanding customer service. Within moments of inquiring about where to get a taxi the lovely lady on reception booked one for us. Everyone we spoke to was so friendly and when you're travelling with a family this makes all the difference.
We ate twice at the hotel whilst we were staying. Once in the bar and then we had breakfast the next morning and I can honestly say that it's one of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten! It was freshly cooked to order and absolutely delicious! I had the pancakes with bacon and maple syrup which was heavenly and my husband and daughter both had the cooked breakfast which they said was absolutely delicious. Freshly cooked with lovely sausage and bacon. This hotel is full of tudor charm. Our room was lovely, beautifully clean with plenty of towels and tea and coffee making facilities. The ceiling is quite low as it is tutor after all but the room was huge and as a family room actually had two real beds instead of the usual double bed and foldup bed that you normally find in family rooms. We'll definitely be staying here again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Louise P

Dear Louise P,

Thank you for posting a review and I am so pleased to read it.

I will share this with the team whom we are very proud of hear.

May i take this opportunity to wish you and the family a very Merry Christmas and hope to see you again in 2020.