“Lunch with friends”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Second visit and whilst not quite as good as the first time it was still enjoyed by all. All the meals ordered by our party were available. Good value for money.

HallFarm M, Manager at Hall Farm Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed your second visit (albeit slightly less than the first..) we look forward to seeing you a third time!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I went to Hall Farm for the first time with a large group of friends, most of whom had been before. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, which was beyond my expectations for this type of restaurant and could compare well with a number of good restaurants in the area. For the quality of the meals, the prices are very good and portions are generous. The service was excellent and the views lovely. I would like to return but have not been able to get in yet, which shows how popular it is.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Came across this little gem of Essex when my wife and I visited the village of Stratford St Mary (the farm is next door to the village's parish church). Thought it was a farm shop but then discovered they have this cafe/ restaurant which is lovely. It's a modern barn conversion, clean and cosy with great indoor and outdoor seating. Stunning views across Dedham Vale to be seen but the best of all was the food. Three visits at different times of the year over a two year period and the food, service and atmosphere has always been consistently amazing. Staff work hard and there are plenty of them and the chefs are obviously brilliant. But to finish I want to rave about the highlight of my first and third visit- The Ploughmans (mixed) By far the best I've ever bought, and no scrimping on quantity or quality. Homemade pate, bread and pickles, locally sourced ham, fruit and delicious English cheese, thus could easily have served two people, and I enjoyed it so much I even took my left over cheese and pate home with me to save me from having to buy some from the farm shop next door! Price doesn't matter when it's this delicious, but if I must say I think this was bloody cheap for what you get- at only £8.95. Pay this place a visit and enjoy every minute, but perhaps ring and book first as they seem to get lots of local business (which must be a good sign). See my pic of the ploughmans attached and you will understand!!

Our new year resolution was to reply to all reviews on this site and what a wonderful start to the year! Thank you for your review, all our staff appreciate it fully. We do our best to maintain consistency and give value for money and it is great to hear it pays off!

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I'm generally press ganged to come here by my partner who thinks it is lovely. I'm generally left slightly frustrated. They regularly don't have what you actually order. Sorry no fruit scones day, sorry no beef sandwiches, sorry no chocolate cake...it's not to say the alternatives aren't good. They just aren't what I wanted. I also don t find it very comfortable. After I've eaten, I'm usually fairly keen to go. Suffering from numb bum and slight boredom. Although in summer the views outside are lovely! Maybe I should bring a book?

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely restaurant and farm shop with beautiful views of farmland even in the winter. Polite and well trained staff. Conveniently located just off a12 and understand butchers are open 7 days a week. Restaurant uses local supplies and food tastes great!