“Poor Customer Service”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have visited Hall Farm Café many times over the years and when Trudy was Manager the service was excellent. However on our last 2 visits this year the service has been terrible. On both occasions we ordered coffee and 2 fruit scones but only one scone was brought to our table. The staff seemed to be very inexperienced and we got the impression that there was no-one in charge helping them to work more efficiently. On our last visit we sat in the garden which has a lovely view over the countryside and it was a joy to see the new born lambs. However no-one came to serve us and we had to go inside to place our order. We noticed that none of the tables had been cleared although some staff did come out with orders none of them bothered to clear the tables. The only efficient, friendly staff are Billy (who has now left) and Rory who has had days off on our last 2 visits. This is not a cheap café and is now badly let down by a lack of customer service.

4  Thank sueSouthend_on_sea

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Recently had Sunday lunch at your restaurant / most of had either lamb or beef / most disappointing / the beef was rare which in itself is OK for me but it was very very tough / lamb not to bad apparently / dessert very nice / would visit again but not for Sunday roast

HallFarm M, Head Chef at Hall Farm Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Very surprised to see this revue as every Sunday we cook four legs of Hall Farm reared lamb and ten kilogram of Hall Farm reared topside of beef and waiting staff do not recall having any complaints on this day regarding the meat. All tables are checked back on a few minutes after receiving their food and are always asked when paying the bill if everything was ok. The chefs are more than happy to carve you more well done meat if requested.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stopped here today as it was convenient but wouldn't go again. Full of off duty staff and working staff members were too taken up with them to worry about customers. Half of my order was left on the counter so go it myself. Huge size portions of cake, however maybe a little too large. We noticed others had left cake on their plates and we did too. Maybe an idea to lessen the portion size and the price tag?

1  Thank Natalie D
HallFarm M, Manager at Hall Farm Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your visit to us. We very rarely recieve complaints in regards to the portions and value of our cakes. Our staff are more than happy to wrap any remainig cake for you to take home with you. We are reviewing our policies in regards to off duty staff in the cafe to ensure there is never a repeat of this rare occurance.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was surprised that not everyone thinks these beans are the best but I would buy them in bucket loads if it were possible. I love the setting of this place and have been with many different friends for lunches which have always been fine, but 2 days ago,I met a friend mid morning and decided to have the veggie breakfast, she had the lemon drizzle cake. To say I loved my brekkie is understating it. The quality of the ingredients shone through and the granary toast nicely complimented it all. But the beans served in the little gravy jug, the potato cake, the eggs ,tomato and mushroom were perfectly executed and far superior to any old fry up. My friend was given a wedge of cake and without prompting the young waiter offered to wrap it up go when she could not eat half of it. Real tea leaf tea and plenty in the pots for refills, very friendly efficient service from the young team. Full marks all round and I look forward to bringing my grandson here when the farm trail opens which I hope is soon, he will love it .
Food and animals, what more can a small boy want .

1  Thank mumajb

We are very pleased you enjoy your visits to us so much. Thank you for the lovely review!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have reviewed this cafe in the past and my review was negative. However, having gone back today I felt it only fair to post a positive one as the experience was totally different. I was seated in the garden at my request, with its stunning views of the Dedham Vale and the lambs playing in the adjacent field, and was served politely and attentively almost straight away. As I don't have a sweet tooth I was pleased to see that they offered a savoury tea (between 3 and 4pm). This was a large cheese scone, a china dish each of butter, cream cheese and homemade piccalilli, and was absolutely gorgeous. And when I asked for Earl Grey, rather than normal tea, that was accepted with no question, and no extra cost. I got five cups of tea from that one teapot. All in all it was a really lovely experience, and well worth the grand total of £4.30 it cost. So where I was quick to moan on my previous review, I hope this one balances the picture.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very glad you enjoyed your second visit to us and hope to see you again in the near future.