“What a lovely lunch!”

Ranked #24 of 482 Restaurants in Colchester
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Simon, Ali and the team would like to welcome you to "timbers" our family run restaurant set in a gorgeous 400 year old timber framed building in the historic centre of Colchester. We offer well cooked quality food from our famous breakfasts using locally sourced ingredients, such as Proctors award winning sausages, local farm free range eggs, to our home made versions of world renowned classics. Great Coffees and teas or maybe something a little stronger are all available to wash it all down with! We believe that if we can serve you the best meals, by the friendliest staff, then you will be more than happy to come back and recommend us to all your friends.
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“What a lovely lunch!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I visited here today with two friends visiting Colchester, Its a place I have passed countless of times and have always wanted to visit as it looks very inviting. It was much bigger than I thought but it was a really lovely visit and worth the money :) I just had a baguette and a cherry smoothie which were both yummy! A really lovely menu with almost too much choice which is a great problem to have. Staff were very friendly and it the place had a really nice atmosphere. I look forward to returning!

• Visited June 2014
simon m, Owner at Timbers, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi Rachel M

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and review timbers cafe.
We're so pleased you liked the big menu and more important, the food on the menu! The cherry smoothies are great on these hot days!
The team try so hard to get everything right for the customers and positive reviews like this make all it all worth while. Come back and try something else on the menu again soon!
Thanks again, kindest regards

England
“Best place for lunch in town by far!!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I have visited timbers waaay too many times to count and with all different aged people with different tastes etc and not one person thought it was anything other than excellent.

The negatives: it gets a tad warm and very busy - a sign you know it's good. I can assure you it's worth the wait.

I have seen a few people say it's too pricey but I disagree the quality is well worth the money as is the quantity.

I have eaten a variety of things from the menu and all were yummy but I can especially recommend the jacket with cheese and beans as that's my regular lunch from them. And also the 3 egg omelette is always good, love the little potatoes that it comes with.

Lovely little place for all ages and all tastes as the menu is extensive in choice. :)

• Visited March 2014
simon m, Owner at Timbers, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hi zstamp333,

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and review timbers on trip advisor.

Its great for the team that you pointed out how good the omelettes that the kitchen team produce are and its we appreciate that you noted that although we do get very busy, the wait is worth it.
At least you know its all being cooked fresh for you!
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,
kindest regards
Great Yarmouth
“Over priced for what it was”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had the ordinary breakfast. It consisted of one small, hard fried egg, an excellent sausage, a single leathery rasher of bacon which had clearly been cooked some time ago plus tea, toast and mushrooms that seemed to have been poured over everything. The plate was luke warm/cold.
The place is nice enough but the quality overall was poor. Disappointing as we had searched for some time to find it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Patrick S
simon m, Owner at Timbers, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hi Patrick s,
I am sorry your experience with us at timbers wasnt as you would expect.
This is the 1st time in well over 100 reviews that we have been classed as not good value for money so we are suprised and dissapointed that we let you down on that front.
We have discussed your review with the kitchen team and they will be looking to resolve issues that are within their capabilities. The eggs are fresh, free range local farm eggs that we pay a premium price for, so again we will be looking to ensure they reach our strict quality expectations.

Kind regards
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Always great service”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We go here quite often and always get great service and great food, make a trip here if your in colchester.

Visited April 2014
simon m, Owner at Timbers, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Karen S

On behalf of the team at timbers and I many thanks for taking the time to visit, and of course to review us on trip advisor.
We're so pleased you've enjoyed your visits to us and we have made sure the whole team are aware of your kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

many thanks again, Simon, Ali and the team
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Awesome food, people and venue!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have used Timbers for a while now as my 'go to' eatery in Colchester whether for a late breakfast, family lunch or quick cuppa. Never been anything but impressed by the customer servce, always friendly no matter how busy. Fantastic! :)

• Visited May 2014
simon m, Owner at Timbers, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
HI Mark B!
On behalf of the team at timbers and I, thanks so much for your kind words and for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.
The guys and girls work really hard to ensure that customers enjoy the food and the experience and these reviews make it all worth while for them. We look forward to welcoming you back again really soon,
Kind regards
Simon, Ali and the timbers team