“Ruth C”

Dining options: Reservations
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Ruth C”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We visited on Thursday 7th February with friends and were very pleasantly surprised with our first impressions of a building that has been sympathetically restored to the highest of standards as you are greeted by the warmth and grandure you would expect from a former country house.
We started our evening in one of the relaxed yet formal lounges where we were served a choice of canapés whilst we given the menus to peruse. Our order was taken by one of the students who struggled with some of the descriptions of the food however you must remember this is a learning opportunity and the Maitre D was there on hand to help out and step in to back up the students and reassure ourselves as diners that we were in safe hands.
The high standards of decor continued into the dining room. Although it was a very quiet evening in the restaurant the soft furnishings meant we didn't feel uncomfortable, in fact we felt privileged that we were luck enough to have a private dining experience.
The food was excellent with bold unique and fantastic flavour combinations not easy to find outside of London and particularly not in Essex. The most amazing part of all this was the value for money. The set price of £45 per head includes not only the chosen courses but three chefs surprises which were delicious, the only down side for me meant that by the end I was almost too full!
A fantastic night out and a definite must for anyone looking for an excellent value, fine dining experience in beautiful surroundings but do not want to travel up to London.

• Visited February 2013

Tiptree, England, United Kingdom
“Slightly underwhelmed”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We visited on 17th November and I’m finding this review very difficult to write. The Signatures restaurant is beautifully appointed; the staff very attentive and the wine list is very good and the cooking was good, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the experience on my birthday. I think it was mainly because the menu didn’t appeal to me much.

The problem with fine dining menus is that there are too many ingredients, a lack of vegetables and sauce, as commented on ‘The Great British Menu’ programme. The little snacks with our pre-dinner drinks were quite nice, but the bucket of lobster mayonnaise was quite difficult to eat and the pork crackling straws left ones hands very greasy, there was only a paper drinks mat that I could wipe my hands on.

My ‘Waldorf Salad’ was a beautiful light starter; my husband thought that the texture of the 40°C umami salmon was a bit odd. I had severe difficult choosing a main as I either didn’t fancy some items at all or there were several items on each choice that I don’t like or don’t agree with me. I choose the sole and my husband the cod. I would have preferred a meat course as we both like to drink a full bodied red wine, but we choose a Grüner Veltliner as when we used to drink mainly white in Austria, we liked it and still do. I found my choice rather bland despite it including a grating of truffle. Either the truffle wasn’t very good, as in restaurants in Italy not only have we enjoyed our truffle, but the aroma of everyone else’s; or it didn’t work well with the dish. Perhaps there was not enough warmth, butter or sauce to release the flavour.

The ultimate chocolate brownie and smoked bacon ice cream was just up my street. Maybe The Brasserie restaurant menu would of suited me better, but it seemed to suffer from the same problem, and I didn’t want to celebrate a cold winter birthday evening in a sparse modern glass box, if it had been summer it would have been ideal. The breakfast in The Brasserie was excellent.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

You have to remember that this is staffed by trainees. We had a great dinner with excellent wines and our service was good. The maitre D' is always around and is very good. It was quiet but it only opened in September. There is plenty of room there in the reception rooms and dining room and the decor is lovely.not cheap but great food, very different. relaxing, enjoyable dinner.

• Visited November 2012