“Christmas dinner-a little disappointing.”

The Lakes Restaurant
Ranked #132 of 488 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We visit Stoke-by-Nayland restaurant a fair bit. It's middle of the range pricewise, so not the cheapest, but the food is usually original and good The venue is very pleasant with views over the scenic golf course, and the staff are friendly and helpful. Therefore, we thought it would be very nice to go there for Christmas dinner. We discussed the menu beforehand as I'm coeliac, and we were assured that any of the dishes on offer could be adapted for me. However, when we went to order, it seemed that items would have to be left off the plate if I ordered certain dishes. This is always quite disappointing as there are various alternatives, especially if ordered beforehand. There was gluten free bread, but I know that there is better quality bread out there. Some restaurants serve fantastic rolls etc, but I'm afraid this looked a bit like Tesco's seeded sliced bread. Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I wouldn't usually mention it, but we were paying £75.00 each. The salmon starter seemed a bit dry, and the main course, was distinctly uninteresting. I couldn't have the pigs in blankets or the stuffing. (There are gluten free options out there for both.) There wasn't enough gravy, and the vegetables were so uninteresting - plain carrots and sprouts. Sorry, but it had the appearance of something you would order in a very cheap place. I had some thing instead of stuffing, I think it was a gluten free Yorkshire pudding. It was so leathery it was hard to tell. For sweet I ordered a meringue concoction, but again, since I couldn't have cream it was very dry and uninteresting. It was a bit of a let down. This was an expensive meal, and the establishment had plenty of time to consider providing a few alternatives like soya cream substitute and gluten free stuffing. I wouldn't normally expect it, but for this money and with prior warning it would have been possible. It just didn't seem good enough and I was very disappointed.

There are newer reviews for The Lakes Restaurant

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant twice in as many weeks. The food at the restaurant is lovely with a chef who is clearly passionate about the food he cooks for his customers. During a two visits between us we have tried an number of different dishes including monkfish, steak, and pork, all of which have been cooked to perfection. The food at the restaurant is well worth its 2 AA rosette's.

The first time we visited the restaurant was mid week and the it was empty. It seems that during the week the restaurant relies on the hotel customers for its business, which is a shame as the food deserves better than this. It is a bit of drive out from Ipswich and Colchester but well worth the effort. I don't know Colchester very well, but struggle to think of anywhere in Ipswich where the food is as good as that served here. Furthermore the view from the restaurant is amazing.

Well worth the effort to get there.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Visited for a relatives golden wedding celebration. The food was superb and service excellent. A lovely place to meet up with family. Would highly recommend it for a special family occasion.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

From the restaurant manager through to the waiting staff everybody was excellent and very knowledgeable about the food on offer. The twice cooked lamb was amazing as was the bream and the monkfish orders. The desserts were stunning and was a shame to eat them as they looked so nice on the plates. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We were fortunate to have a meal here on a golf break in May 2013 and were very pleasantly surprised when instead of the normal Sunday roast, we were offered a fine dining experience which surpassed our wildest expectations. The quality and presentation of the various dishes were superb and the waiting staff (especially Joao - lovely chap) was excellent! We will return just as soon as we can...