The Silk Road Lounge & Cocktail bar
Ranked #1 of 28 Nightlife in Colchester
More attraction details
Owner description: The Silk Road Lounge & Cocktail Bar is an outstanding looking venue, which boasts 3 bars, VIP areas, 2 dance floors and 2 DJ boxes. It also has a huge terrace smoking area with lots of seating and heaters for when it gets cold. We have a huge selection of drinks available including some amazing tasting cocktails made with fresh-that-day fruit. Door entry depends on what entertainment is on that evening, averaging at around £5. If you visit the Bar/Club what you can expect is a great night with buzzing atmosphere and some top quality music.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Silk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

In Colchester there is only one place to be - silk road!
No other place in town compares to Silk
They put on nights that other clubs in town can not and do not match
I am a regular customer and also a female, in this club I have never had any issues or felt unsafe like I have in some of the others - the bouncers are brilliant, lovely friendly blokes almost always but do the job when it is necessary (what else could you ask for!?)

Visited June 2014
6 Thank CF93whu
ScottDewing, Promotions Manager at The Silk Road Lounge & Cocktail bar, responded to this review, 15 September 2015
We're so sorry we've only just realised we're able to reply to our reviews on Trip Advisor! We just wanted to say thank you for your positive review on The Silk Road. We're pleased you feel safe within our venue and we can't wait for you to join us again in the near future. Kind regards

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The only place to finish your night in Colchester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Always have a good night in Silk Road, have been looked after year after year on my birthday along with all my friends. Yes you see the odd bit of trouble but I'm pretty sure that's a promblem of the society we live in rather than a problem of the actual club and it has always been handled perfectly well when I have been around. Can't think of anywhere I would rather be on a night out in Colchester .

Visited May 2014
3 Thank JMI1991
We're so sorry we haven't responded to you sooner! We've only just found out we can reply to our reviews on Trip Advisor which is great news! Thank you for your positive review on the Silk Road, I'm sure you'll agree - Silk Road has come a long way and we're still striving to make it to the top for safety, cleanliness and atmosphere! We can't wait for you to join us again in the very near future. Kind regards
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

As a long time Colchester resident I have seen the changes in various pubs and clubs over the years.
I used to go past this venue as it looked unwelcoming and very loud, however what the owner has done to not only the exterior of the venue but inside the club too.
Gone are the shaking walls and windows, gone are the dark corners and old toilets.
He has created a superb club and you can actually see that the money has been invested in every single corner of the club. It oozes quality and to be fair as a previous revue has stated the owner actually is one of the major factors of the transformation, he greets everyone with the same cheerful smile and speaks to all of them with interest. I witnessed a client being asked to vacate the venue by the door staff for having the wrong footwear on. The owner was requested by the clients friend to intervene to which he said the male had been in his venue drinking for a while so it would be unfair for him to be asked to leave. The male was allowed to stay but advised to make sure he had the correct footwear next time. They shook hands and he stayed until the end , a happy customer indeed. Any other club would have thrown him out so its good to see an owner respecting this customers. They have names they are not numbers was his reply to someone. I and my partner will certainly be goung to this venue again and at 50 years of age to feel accepted in a club is special. Keep the club as it is and you will see more and more happy safe and satisfied customers. To you and all the staff thank you .

3 Thank 451peteo
Thank you for your review Pete. Over a year down the line and we're still thankful to have you as one of our regular customers at The Silk Road. As you know The Silk Road has made outstanding progress in transforming the Bar & Club into a safe, friendly environment to improve the standard of Colchester nightlife. It's having people like yourself that let us know we're heading in the right direction. Thanks again.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

You cannot comment on this place if you have only seen it from bouncers. What do you think the media do? They are obviously going to make it look worse than what it is! It is a night club in the average town of colchester. There are rude people wherever you go, there are bad nights you have whether you go out every night or not at all. Not every time you go out is going to be perfect! Fed up of seeing rubbish reviews of this place when people haven't even been there! Silk Road is like a family, I go to the BBQs they have and the promo nights and I am treated like I am in ANY other club if not BETTER. Do not listen to bad reviews - especially when they have only seen silk on the tv from bouncers. I love Silk Road and always will been going there for 4 years now and I'm not stopping anytime soon. If your a smoker the beer garden is the best with shelter and heaters and you can get shisha outside and all sorts. The BBQs are always on point with fresh food rice and chicken. I'm sure there are plenty of worse places in London and they don't get bad reviews like this. People need to stop being so little minded. It is a small town and Silk Road is one of the best clubs there is.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Hmads
We're sorry for the delay in response, we've only just found out we can respond to our reviews on Trip Advisor! We really appreciate your review on The Silk Road. The TV show really done us no favours but we're pleased to say that, thanks to people like yourself we have come out the other side and strived to become a better venue than ever before.

In the last year or so, I'm sure you'll agree we've really managed to turn things round and over the last few months we have really become one of Colchester's hotspots for a good night out! Thank you for your continued support and we hope to see you in the not to distant future. Kind regards
Colchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Clean, Safe & Friendly - How all Nightlife should be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't want to got to Silk Road as I remember it as a 'shed with blue lights everywhere' but I'd like to make it clear that Silk Road has come on leaps and bounds since anyone wrote a review on this bar. You can see the Owner has put literally everything he can into this place to make it enjoyable for everyone. The last time I went to visit Silk Road (Saturday just gone) the atmosphere was brilliant, the clientel were very well presented and staff were very professional.

The 'new' Silk Road has everything you could need at a venue! A seating area where the music is quieter to talk, a dancefloor area where the music is more intense, a VIP area for special events and occasions, a smoking area that is heated so you can remain social with the friends of yours that do smoke without feeling the cold, a cocktail bar and most importantly - CLEAN Toilets!!!

One thing I did pick up on which is very rare to find these days is the owner/bar manager socialising with his customers rather than being on the front door wondering why he's not taking more money or upstairs in the office looking at the cameras all the time. It doesn't matter if he's known you 25 years or never spoke to you before, he'll still give you the time of day to talk to you and make you feel welcome to his venue - I can't remember his name but a really really nice guy.

I'll definatley be back - I hope to have the same experience.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Michael C
Michael, we're so sorry we never managed to reply sooner. We've only just found the reply to review function on Trip Advisor! Thank you for your positive review on The Silk Road, We're really pleased that you've paid us a visit and felt as though you were in a safe, friendly environment. Since you're review, nothing has changed, we are still striving to give our customers that peace of mind to be bale relax and enjoy there night whatever the occasion. We hope to see you again in the not to distant future. Kind regards