“Well worth a few hours ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Colchester Castle Museum
Ranked #5 of 63 things to do in Colchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Colchester Castle is the largest Norman Keep in Europe. Constructed on the foundations of the Temple of Claudius, built when Colchester was the first Roman capital of Britain, the Castle Museum today reveals many fascinating layers of history to visitors. Archaeological collections of international quality covering 2,500 years of history are beautifully showcased, including of the most important Roman finds in Britain
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Well worth a few hours ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Lasted visited the castle around 7 years ago when my daughter was 6, this time took my 5 year old son, with grandma and grandad in a wheelchair.
Boy they've spent some cash here!
Nice, good interactive experience that took up an few hours.
I thought the tablets used didn't add much to the experience, aside from the ability to view the castle in other periods. The problem was some of the numbers which you activate information weren't visible and getting your orientation wasn't easy. As a suggestion use QR codes directly on exhibits!
The only negative was that the elevator in the centre of the room was out of order so grandad didn't get to the second floor. On pointing this out on leaving we were told their was another elevator, a sign to that effect would have been helpful, and garnered the 5th star.

Essex, England
160 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Great refurb of Colchester castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

First of all if you plan to visit go to the 'visit Essex' website and get a discount on entry (£15 for two adults, two kids, rather than £20)!

After a big refurb Colchester castle is vastly improved. They've got the usual static displays but they have much more interactive stuff to keep kids entertained. My two (9 & 12) enjoyed the dressing up and the films very much (especially the one that was beamed onto the huge wall on the inside of the castle!). But their highlight was the Roman chariot game that you could play where you actually steered the horses around the track! We queued patiently and had brilliant fun on that one!

I'd say a bit dull - still - for very small kids, but lovely clean loo's, great shop and indoor eating area if you were caught out on a rainy day.

1 Thank mrsbsouthend
Colchester, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“visit to Colchester castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the castle today. My children are 12 and 9 and there was valuable experience for both of them. We were advised to start upstairs to see exhibits in historical order and this worked well for us. The guided tour was fab, with detailed knowledge and a willingness to answer children's questions. The view from the castle roof is great and going down into the vaults is also an interesting experience. My youngest's favourite was the chariot race simulator. A fun day out.

London, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Better since the refurb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The refurbishment has transformed the museum and made it much more interesting for children.

As there is so little of the original castle layout remaining the tablets with virtual tours of how things used to be were excellent.

My only criticism is that the updated Boudicca film which used to be in a separate room is now projected onto two large screens in the main part of the museum. With the sounds of other visitors it was very difficult to hear the soundtrack. The only subtitles were on a much smaller screen but running at least 20 seconds behind the main display.

2 Thank SimonG41
Witham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Some great exhibits”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was interested to see how the museum had been improved seeing as it was closed for so long. My husband and I enjoyed our visit but I think this is because we already had a basic knowledge of the history. I felt that children would end up with quite a distorted view of historical periods without some guidance, as so many are included. There are many truly fascinating exhibits and the building itself is remarkable. We probably will return in a year or two for another visit on a rainy Sunday. One other minor comment , and forgive me I know it is pedantic, is that there is a spelling error on the very first information board by the entrance. The spelling is 'metre' not 'meter'!