“A letdown”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Very handy for the town centre, clean toilet, lots of toilet roll. Very quirky place open beam in room. Nice and warm. The most fantastic carved indians in the bar. This place has potential. Sadly the potential is untapped. The bar did not open and there were no snacks available (allthoug lots of food available withing a 2 minute walk)

Overall I would say the place is tierd and needs a substantial amount of money spending on it. Breakfast was included in the price. But we decided not to risk it if the kitchen is like the the rest of it then would be run down. No scores on the doors so not likley to be very good. the furniture appeard modernis but the decor was fininshed off by a poor carpenter. My diy is crap but I could have done better. The bar area would make a great training venue. I could see this venue hosting a folk club. I have tried to be balanced but I would not stay again. I use about 100 hotel nights a year and this is in the lower rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul S

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Arrived at the 'hotel' and from the outside it looked shabby and derelict.
Car park was far too small for the amount of rooms, it would take 4 maybe 5 cars max.
We walked into the bar area after not finding a reception desk, to see what appeared to be the manager doing ironing at the bar.
After a lot of obvious exaggeration on how fantastic they claimed their breakfasts were she took us to our rooms.
After Taking 5 minutes to get through the security locks we entered our rooms.
Nearly knocked out by the 45 degree heat which enhanced the MUSTY smell of the bedroom.
The curtains were hanging off the rails and irregular lengths, the bathroom was passable just, they'd obviously Mass small adjustments due to complaints.
The carpets filthy!
Cobwebs!
GREASY HEAD BOARDS!
And the windows wouldn't open!
Rubbish behind the bed and worse,
Then for the le piece de resistance bloodstained dirty pillowcases that smelt like they had already been slept in.
Upon seeing this we decided not to stay and left via the side entrance, it was poorly lit and a dirty great hole which I fell down on the way to the car park!
We later found out that it was used to home DHSS clients (the homeless)!!!
This 'hotel' lacked the bare minimal of any kind of quality.
I give this a ZERO RATING I would not let my dog stay in that hovel
I will be reporting to trading standards.
They take your money before you stay, I wonder why?!?!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Charlottejagger
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Have given this two stars with the second only being given to acknowledge an extremely pleasant and helpful youg man who I saw when booking in. I was in a very small and basic single room. En suite bathroom had a single towel but no toiletries with the exception of a small amount of hand wash. Shower was fine to be truthful and it was reasonably warm in en suite and the bedroom. Could have dome without what appeared to be a smoking point directly under my bedroom window. Room was really quite dirty and large cobwebs covered most walls, hadn't really been cleaned for ages! There was a swipe card to gain entry to each room and I was locked out of my room for a while when the mechanism failed. Seemed to be a lot of trip hazzards with the hallway carpet! Have paid a lot less for a lot better.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked this online as the photo looked OK...worst mistake ever...we should have checked TripAdvisor.co.uk first as this is littered with bad reviews....believe them ALL and more.

Summary (in case you don't want to read on)

Smelly, dirty, cold in room and en-suite (windows wide open to get rid of smell and damp), damp, no shower curtain, no plug in bath, disgusting stains everywhere, bedding dirty, no soap or any toiletries, only two towels (family room for three).

Further feedback....do read on....

We checked our room (Room 27) as we always do before going out for the night. Let me list the horrors we found.

Corridor to room had carpet "trip" hazards and smell of sewage.

Generally poorly decorated.
Room was for a family - and yes....they had squeezed a spare single bed in the double room...we could have held hands with our son during the night had we wanted too!
The windows were wide open and it was freezing cold - we can only assume to get rid of the smell of damp and sewage as these were still evident.

Windows were damp and mouldy.

No shower curtain over the bath and no plug in the bath should we wish to have tried the alternative!

No soap or any toiletries

This was the dirtiest bathroom and main bedroom I have ever seen in my life - B&B or otherwise
The room corridor was "secured" only by a four digit code I have little doubt most of Colchester are already aware of!!

There was not adequate parking - certainly not for a late evening arrival.
We told the hotel that evening that the room was not acceptable and we would be staying elsewhere - - -

Customer service/refund for this appalling condition of a "Hotel" - FORGET IT!! - They are after your money and will take this as soon as you book and you have no chance they will return it.

Other information edited to comply with TripAdvisor.co.uk T's and C's

Conclusion: VERY disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Christopher H
Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

Good value in a modest hotel. It is well situated by a choice of restaurants.
Ideal for business use or taking students to uni.
Be careful not to park in clamping area.
Breakfast is at 7am officially but about 5 minutes later in reality. Breakfast ladies courteous and pleasant in msnner... Point to improve: do not refuse to admit guests st 6.55 am but let them sit until tables ready. Also make sure that receipts are issued.... Mine has not been emailed to me despite promises after the receipts book ran out. Receipts must be provided by law... HMRC will confirm this.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank pjl29
Reviewed 22 October 2012

And I, after twenty plus years of world traveling from horrible to opulence, i have experienced almost all there is to have offered to you.
I was therefore shocked and appalled at just how bad the Riverside hotel is,being that it is in my beloved home country of England, starting with the room, no starting with entering the area of the hotel where the rooms are, it stinks of years of bad odours and years of poor ventilation.
Then my room, stunk, and the only option to open it and listen to the beer fueled screams of the next door pub! The facilities in the room ,can they make a smaller tv theses days ! The shower had the strength of a blocked up baby elephant, took thirty mins to have a shower, the carpet, thank the lord I brought Kung fu slippers, the carpet is disgusting.
I missed breakfast by 10 mins, they knew I was here to do a charity run for the local army regiment, flew in from USA, did this allow them to go out of there way and make me a bite to eat ?
Lovely people, very charitable bunch,,,,

So unless you are in training for a £5 budgeted holiday in India, give this hovel a swerve!!!

John Boy the Para

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnBoy W
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We went for the Olympics and the location was great for early starts.
Small room with a 4ft mattress on a 4ft 6in bed!!! Mattress had springs coming through so turned it at 2am. breakfast good but manners when we came down 5min late (no info in our room) was not the best. Complained over the house phone but didn't see anyone and no acknowledgement . If we had decided to leave, we had aready been charged when we booked in June for an August stay.
Agree with other reviews --young man who saw us in was delightful, hotel very tired and rubbish wasn't cleared from outside for the week we were there which made it look uncared for.

Room Tip: non really --possibly good for travellers who just need a bed, small en suite and few facilities