“Awful!”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Colchester
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Awful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

This "hotel" is a used as a half way house for homeless people. The room we stayed in smelled damp / musty and faintly of the soil pipe in the adjoining en suite. We showered under a dribble of water and went into town to eat. When we came back at 9 we laid on the bed to find that the matress was terrible (you could feel the springs through the sheets). We decided life was too short to stay in such a hovvel. We went downstairs to see the manager I told her that we didnt want to stay, she just said ok? Didnt ask us why etc... It is no wonder that they take your money in advance (we didnt get a refund and £55 for such a place is a rip off).

We quickly found a premier INN and stayed there!

Room Tip: do not stay here at all!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dandotcm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The first room I was offered smelled of a blocked or broken drain. The aroma came from the shower drain and without using any water a tide mark of black scum and: hair was to be seen around the outlet. I did test it and with a flow of water black sludge bubbled up and accentuated the pong.

The young lad on reception did change the room type me without hesitation. The new room shower was ok. This room like the other was shabby, at best. There are no complimentary shower gells or shampoos.

• Stayed April 2013

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Firstly the location is brilliant, right by river! But that's my only good point! Me and a friend walked in to hotel to find a more than useless woman ironing, then taken up some dodgy stairs to a shabby rundown hall way with squeaky flooring to be shown our room, at a first glance looked ok and then it began the tv did not work, we were told this would be fixed shortly, we then proceeded to get some food from local spoons (lovely mixed grill and a pint for 8 quid) we then returned to find a portable Ariel that done naff all! We complained again, we were told that we could have a key to another room and watch the tele in there, but have to return to our room once finished!! The room was freezing, curtains don't fit, windows pooh, broken tiles in bathroom, and no happy medium with there water temp as there are poohy mixer taps running off boiler (a decent shower is needed POWER SHOWER A MUST) I had to wash in sink. All in all a pooh place! Never ever go there!! And if you do don't take your car as you can't park more than 5 cars in carpark, they have like 10 rooms ???!!?? oh and very dangerous outside as not sufficient lighting, especially when the carpark has a foot high drop in some places as I found out the hard way!

0 STARS!!!!! Oh I never ate there as looked like it was run by a monkey with no common sense!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank southwell83
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Very handy for the town centre, clean toilet, lots of toilet roll. Very quirky place open beam in room. Nice and warm. The most fantastic carved indians in the bar. This place has potential. Sadly the potential is untapped. The bar did not open and there were no snacks available (allthoug lots of food available withing a 2 minute walk)

Overall I would say the place is tierd and needs a substantial amount of money spending on it. Breakfast was included in the price. But we decided not to risk it if the kitchen is like the the rest of it then would be run down. No scores on the doors so not likley to be very good. the furniture appeard modernis but the decor was fininshed off by a poor carpenter. My diy is crap but I could have done better. The bar area would make a great training venue. I could see this venue hosting a folk club. I have tried to be balanced but I would not stay again. I use about 100 hotel nights a year and this is in the lower rating.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

Arrived at the 'hotel' and from the outside it looked shabby and derelict.
Car park was far too small for the amount of rooms, it would take 4 maybe 5 cars max.
We walked into the bar area after not finding a reception desk, to see what appeared to be the manager doing ironing at the bar.
After a lot of obvious exaggeration on how fantastic they claimed their breakfasts were she took us to our rooms.
After Taking 5 minutes to get through the security locks we entered our rooms.
Nearly knocked out by the 45 degree heat which enhanced the MUSTY smell of the bedroom.
The curtains were hanging off the rails and irregular lengths, the bathroom was passable just, they'd obviously Mass small adjustments due to complaints.
The carpets filthy!
Cobwebs!
GREASY HEAD BOARDS!
And the windows wouldn't open!
Rubbish behind the bed and worse,
Then for the le piece de resistance bloodstained dirty pillowcases that smelt like they had already been slept in.
Upon seeing this we decided not to stay and left via the side entrance, it was poorly lit and a dirty great hole which I fell down on the way to the car park!
We later found out that it was used to home DHSS clients (the homeless)!!!
This 'hotel' lacked the bare minimal of any kind of quality.
I give this a ZERO RATING I would not let my dog stay in that hovel
I will be reporting to trading standards.
They take your money before you stay, I wonder why?!?!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Charlottejagger
Peterborough
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

Have given this two stars with the second only being given to acknowledge an extremely pleasant and helpful youg man who I saw when booking in. I was in a very small and basic single room. En suite bathroom had a single towel but no toiletries with the exception of a small amount of hand wash. Shower was fine to be truthful and it was reasonably warm in en suite and the bedroom. Could have dome without what appeared to be a smoking point directly under my bedroom window. Room was really quite dirty and large cobwebs covered most walls, hadn't really been cleaned for ages! There was a swipe card to gain entry to each room and I was locked out of my room for a while when the mechanism failed. Seemed to be a lot of trip hazzards with the hallway carpet! Have paid a lot less for a lot better.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Yeovil
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked this online as the photo looked OK...worst mistake ever...we should have checked TripAdvisor.co.uk first as this is littered with bad reviews....believe them ALL and more.

Summary (in case you don't want to read on)

Smelly, dirty, cold in room and en-suite (windows wide open to get rid of smell and damp), damp, no shower curtain, no plug in bath, disgusting stains everywhere, bedding dirty, no soap or any toiletries, only two towels (family room for three).

Further feedback....do read on....

We checked our room (Room 27) as we always do before going out for the night. Let me list the horrors we found.

Corridor to room had carpet "trip" hazards and smell of sewage.

Generally poorly decorated.
Room was for a family - and yes....they had squeezed a spare single bed in the double room...we could have held hands with our son during the night had we wanted too!
The windows were wide open and it was freezing cold - we can only assume to get rid of the smell of damp and sewage as these were still evident.

Windows were damp and mouldy.

No shower curtain over the bath and no plug in the bath should we wish to have tried the alternative!

No soap or any toiletries

This was the dirtiest bathroom and main bedroom I have ever seen in my life - B&B or otherwise
The room corridor was "secured" only by a four digit code I have little doubt most of Colchester are already aware of!!

There was not adequate parking - certainly not for a late evening arrival.
We told the hotel that evening that the room was not acceptable and we would be staying elsewhere - - -

Customer service/refund for this appalling condition of a "Hotel" - FORGET IT!! - They are after your money and will take this as soon as you book and you have no chance they will return it.

Other information edited to comply with TripAdvisor.co.uk T's and C's

Conclusion: VERY disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family