“To Laina and James and their "flock" thank you for your kindness”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colchester
Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 41 Colchester B&B and Inns
Netanya, Israel
“To Laina and James and their "flock" thank you for your kindness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2008

As I came from overseas to visit Colchester for several days to visit my aunt in hospital, I was in need of a warm and homelike atmosphere.
Laina and James were wonderful hosts. The warmth of their welcome sometimes made me feel that I was part of the family! The three dogs and the cat greeted me sagaciously and I was honored to have them flop down and prop themselves against my knees
The room I slept in was attractively furnished, very comfortable and there was provision for hot drinks. There was a beautiful modern bathroom close by and I was even provided with a terrytowel robe. Normally I am used to ensuite accommodation, but in this case it was of no importance whatsoever.
Breakfast was served in a pleasant front room and there was a choice of good breakfast items and if I wished there was the possibility of using the front lounge to relax in. But my room was a welcome and relaxing place too.
I did have time to enjoy the town of Colchester. Though this is the first Roman town in Britain, it has kept up with the times and is enjoyable to visit - and it also has great eating places.
One day I hope to return with my family to enjoy a relaxed holiday at Rutland House.

• Liked — The warm friendliness of my hosts
  • Disliked — Cant think of anything
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Business
Exmoor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2007

A Guest House with extremely high standards which deserves a higher rating with the powers that be! The house is very comfortable with large, elegently furnished rooms with many extra's that make for a relaxing stay. Very convenient for walking into Colchester and plenty of parking space.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2007

We stayed at Rutland House for a few nights before our cruise departing from Harwich. Wonderful accomodations and hosts. We walked into town and found many things to do. We enjoyed the wonderful garden with the gentle dogs in the evening. We found everything to be very clean with nice furnishings and great food. Very pleasant hosts, I'd go back!

• Liked — Very comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing of note
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2007

The Rutland House is a lovely place to stay in Colchester. Laina and James Cracknell; their friendly but gentle dogs Millie, Lulu, and Blue; and their adorable black cat, Clio, all welcome you with open arms (and paws).

The quality of the furnishings is extremely high. The B&B is rated 4* by the British Tourist Council and rightly so.

I stayed in the Victorian room which had lovely Victorian-style furnishings and the room was decorated in all shades of soothing beige. The room even had a TV, something I did not expect in a B&B (I expected a TV in a common sitting room). This room did not have a bathroom ensuite but I did have access to a large bathroom solely for my use across the hall. The other 2 rooms have ensuite bathrooms.

Breakfast was either continental or cooked-to-order full British breakfast - very tasty.

There is a lovely garden that I could view from one of the windows, though I didn't have the time to go and sit in the garden.

It's about a 15 minute walk into the city and there is a city bus stop less than 2 minutes away.

I recommend this B&B highly.

• Liked — High quality accomodations and gracious hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2007

We stayed in this lovely B&B on our wedding night and can thoroughly recommend this as quality place to stay in Colchester.

We chose Rutland House after looking around the "quality" hotels in Colchester, and found this to be of superior quality and of much better value.

There are three rooms furnished to a high standard. We stayed in the main front room which is of a decent size, with well appointed en-suite bathroom.

The second room is smaller, with en-suite shower room whilst the third room has it's own bathroom across the hallway. Bathrobes are provided in this room !

Breakfast is served downstairs with good quality ingredients, many of which are locally sourced.

The B&B itself, has ample off road parking and is about a 10-15 minute walk from town, along the Lexden Road, passing through Crouch Street which has many small independent retailers, before getting to the main town centre.

Colchester is close to "Constable Country" and the villages of Dedham & Flatford (of Haywain fame). Lavenham and West Mersea are also only a short drive away.

For those without cars, London Liverpool St. is also only 50mins away, with regular services.

I would certainly recommend Rutland House for those coming to Colchester, and it can be used as a springboard for exploring this part of Essex.

It could also be used by those "on business" in Colchester and beats staying in a Travelodge !

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple